[TOOL][ROM] UpdateEngine UI -- Flash Android O beta without wiping data

Search This thread

zodiak43

Feb 20, 2013
Yes, once the update engine asks you to reboot after successful installation, you flash magisk to the second slot and reboot.

i need help, i did that to get magisk after reboot but it didnt install, so i need to flash again magisk but in twrp i cant mount internal cause of the password, i put mine and it says bad password so i cant flash anything or see internal memory in twrp. do you know how can i fix it?

effingbadluck

Dec 13, 2015
Hello I need help, install the first OTA Oreo with this procedure, now I try to go back to android 7.1.2 I have tried MiFlash, it makes the flash process super fast and it really does not do anything, try with the tutorial that is xiaomifirmware, and when you run flash_all .bat the cmd window opens and closes immediately therefore does not do any process. I am involved in this and I can not make it work.
Try flashing the firmware manually using fastboot commands.

speedunderx

Feb 12, 2013

effingbadluck

Dec 13, 2015
Excuse my ignorance, but do you know the fastboot commands to flash the firmware?

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Fastboot Comand

http://en.miui.com/thread-942449-1-1.html

1.Download and install Minimal fastboot and ADB
2.Download and extract the firmware to the Minimal fastboot and installed folder
3.Download the BAT file given in the link below and place it in Minimal fastboot and installed folder where you have just extracted the firmware
4.Put the phone in fastboot mode and connect it to the PC and run the BAT file
Make sure you unlocked bootloader before you continue.Do it at your own risk.I am not responsible if anything happens.
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

Attachments

• Mi.zip
    362 bytes · Views: 27

speedunderx

Feb 12, 2013
1.Download and install Minimal fastboot and ADB
2.Download and extract the firmware to the Minimal fastboot and installed folder
3.Download the BAT file given in the link below and place it in Minimal fastboot and installed folder where you have just extracted the firmware
4.Put the phone in fastboot mode and connect it to the PC and run the BAT file
Make sure you unlocked bootloader before you continue.Do it at your own risk.I am not responsible if anything happens.
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

thanks dear, I had already done it, and it worked correctly.

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
@ur0 you still did a wonderful work.
I did a small mistake and I had to wipe the whole device. I lost many photos. But thats because of a silly mistake. Your implementation works like a charm if people dont have twrp already installed. Actually its the new partitioning system which people are not familar with and having confusions. Thanks for your work.

ur0

Jun 17, 2012
Mumbai
@ur0 you still did a wonderful work.
I did a small mistake and I had to wipe the whole device. I lost many photos. But thats because of a silly mistake. Your implementation works like a charm if people dont have twrp already installed. Actually its the new partitioning system which people are not familar with and having confusions. Thanks for your work.

I'm glad you liked it!

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
So, anyone who has nougat december build, if you meet the following conditions, you should have zero trouble installing oreo:

1. You do not have twrp installed permanently
2. You installed magisk by either flashing the patched_boot.img which magisk manager creates OR have installed magisk by booting twrp temporarily.
3. You do not use supersu or flashfire

Now go ahead in the sequence if you meet the above conditions and I can guarantee you will have zero trouble with the tool.

1. Download and install the version 1.2 of the update engine from magisk manager and reboot.
2. Once the phone is rebooted, open update engine from app drawer and press start. Depending upon your internet speed, you will get a confirmation of installation successfull status sooner or later. You will see a progressbar during the process.
3. Dont reboot the device yet, Just go to magisk manager and press install, select install on second slot. Once the process completes, reboot the phone and you will be up and running oreo. Magisk will be preserved.
4. Delete the 1.2 update engine module from magisk manager app and install 1.3 update manager. Reboot the device
5. Repeat the step 3 and 4 for the latest OTA.

sooti

Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2012
You can have twrp installed if you want root, do this in nougat rooted with twrp

1. Use tool 1.2 to update to Oreo
2. Reboot to twrp
3. Click reboot and select slot b (don't reboot yet)
4. Flash twrp installer
5. Reboot to recovery
6. Flash magisk
7. Reboot
8. Install tool 1.3, reboot and click update again in the tool
9. When done reboot to recovery and do steps 1-7 again
10. Done you are on the latest beta which I must say is working well

Void_Dragon07

Jun 17, 2017
Lucknow
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7
You can have twrp installed if you want root, do this in nougat rooted with twrp

1. Use tool 1.2 to update to Oreo
2. Reboot to twrp
3. Click reboot and select slot b (don't reboot yet)
4. Flash twrp installer
5. Reboot to recovery
6. Flash magisk
7. Reboot
8. Install tool 1.3, reboot and click update again in the tool
9. When done reboot to recovery and do steps 1-7 again
10. Done you are on the latest beta which I must say is working well
i did all that thanks but i dont get one thing how do i know im on the latest beta build i dont notice any difference between the 1.2 build and the 1.3 build can anyone help me

sooti

Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2012
i did all that thanks but i dont get one thing how do i know im on the latest beta build i dont notice any difference between the 1.2 build and the 1.3 build can anyone help me
1.2 downloads the full 8.0 update from 7.1.2 and is set to work on nougat, 1.3 points to the 20 Dec Oreo update and installs that update . Basically it does what your native update client would do if you were an official beta member

Void_Dragon07

Jun 17, 2017
Lucknow
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7
1.2 downloads the full 8.0 update from 7.1.2 and is set to work on nougat, 1.3 points to the 20 Dec Oreo update and installs that update . Basically it does what your native update client would do if you were an official beta member
This is the screenshot of my build number is it correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171223-043909.png
    Screenshot_20171223-043909.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 259

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I highly recommend @JamFlux's work instead. Currently, this has got way more complicated than it should be (in the past 24 hours, only 40% users have managed to accurately follow the procedure, and even less for the latest beta). However, I will continue working on this project in order to make it compatible across more devices. The app is now open-source and you can visit the GitHub repo here. Thanks for using UpdateEngine Interface and I hope to see you folks again soon.

I've created the UpdateEngine Interface, a tool to install OTAs that haven't been assigned to your device. It talks to Android's update_engine binary to flash the block-based updates just the way the original updater does, ensuring that your data is preserved and your system partition's signature doesn't change.

TLDR: It allows you to install Oreo without using someone else's TWRP backup or losing data.

Now has the latest build (20th December)

Installation:
    1. Install Magisk
    2. Install the attached Magisk module (named UpdateEngine_1.2.zip) and reboot
    3. Open the newly installed UpdateEngine app and press start
    4. Wait for the installation to complete and restart your device to boot into Android O
    5. If you wish to update to the latest beta, use Magisk to install UpdateEngine_1.3.zip afterwards

Note: If you're a FlashFire user, please uninstall it and reboot before continuing.
    Note #2: You must install Oreo via v1.2 before installing the latest beta (via v1.3).

XDA:DevDB Information
    UpdateEngine User Interface, Device Specific App for the Xiaomi Mi A1

Contributors
    ur0

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1

Created 2017-12-19
    Last Updated 2017-12-19
    Update time: I convinced Google to give me the latest betas. I'll push out an update soon!
    is possible to add feature "choose ota file from device" or something similar ?

I'm looking into adding this -- the only problem is that it also requires a bit of metadata (which is inconvenient to type manually). I'll look into defining a format which the app can read directly.
    @Filip013 yes, this installs the untouched boot.img.
    @rostifaner and @TerQQ, You're welcome!
    Latest update (v1.3, containing the 20th Dec build) is out. Check the OP for download links.

@ghpranav, the sources will be out by this evening. I'll post the GH link by 1800 IST.

@arraiyan123, I have the one for the latest build, let me know if you want that.

@Rakibboss, uploaded. There you go!