[module] NotoColorEmoji Blob Patch

Search This thread

simonsmh

Dec 14, 2015
Noto Emoji with Blobs enabled
This repository is intended to continue the development of the Blob emojis which have been abandoned by the original creators in 2017.

My goal is to upgrade the Blob emojis with a fresh style which is consistent to other emoji vendors.

Another thing is that this emoji set includes some emojis and ZWJ-sequences which are not part of the current emoji standard (although some or most of them are about to be included in the upcoming Unicode-standard), which means it might be one of the biggest emoji sets currently available! NotoColorEmoji fonts are provided by C1710's project.

NOTICE
You should use latest Magisk Manager to install this module. If you meet any problem under installation from Magisk Manager, please try to install it from recovery.

https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/blobmoji

Last edited:

InfiDim42

Jun 12, 2015
What program did you use to edit the Oreo emojis? I tried Emoji Tools but it doesn't work with the Oreo fonts.

Cypher_01

Nov 18, 2012
Downgrade

Can I downgrade the module?

I updated recently and I don't like the new Android Oreo Emojis.

simonsmh

Dec 14, 2015
That's the effect of my module. It prefers blob emojis in nougat than O emoji. So that we wouldn't meet fonts missing problem in other "replacing only" module.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171019-141156.png
    Screenshot_20171019-141156.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,736

Cypher_01

Nov 18, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean with blob or blob-ify, the emojis are just a font file.

Anyway, I decided to go a different way and used an app called Emoji Changer. It simply backups and replaces the font file using root. The downside compared to a Magisk module is, that the system partition needs to be changed. But this is no problem for me.
@simonsmh You maybe want to create more versions of your module, one for each emoji font (Android Nougat, Android Oreo, maybe more).

As I said, I installed the module and used and liked my Android Nougat emojis. Then an update arrived, I installed it, and had the Android Oreo emojis, which I don't like.

So, is it possible to downgrade a Magisk module in general?

simonsmh

Dec 14, 2015
I'm not sure what you mean with blob or blob-ify, the emojis are just a font file.

Anyway, I decided to go a different way and used an app called Emoji Changer. It simply backups and replaces the font file using root. The downside compared to a Magisk module is, that the system partition needs to be changed. But this is no problem for me.

@simonsmh You maybe want to create more versions of your module, one for each emoji font (Android Nougat, Android Oreo, maybe more).

As I said, I installed the module and used and liked my Android Nougat emojis. Then an update arrived, I installed it, and had the Android Oreo emojis, which I don't like.

So, is it possible to downgrade a Magisk module in general?

I can't generally understand your meaning. Now does your device have both two emoji like the screen shot I posted above or you just can't see any blob emoji (Android N emoji) and you can only see Android O emoji?

To test it, please visit https://emojipedia.org/emoji-4.0/ and you should see that there is showing up blob emoji. While in https://emojipedia.org/emoji-5.0/ you could see that all the emoji comes from Android O emoji. That's the normal effect that this module does.

There are huge amounts of fonts replacing module, already made by other developer, only if you don't need emoji compatibility.

Cypher_01

Nov 18, 2012
I can't generally understand your meaning. Now does your device have both two emoji like the screen shot I posted above or you just can't see any blob emoji (Android N emoji) and you can only see Android O emoji?

To test it, please visit https://emojipedia.org/emoji-4.0/ and you should see that there is showing up blob emoji. While in https://emojipedia.org/emoji-5.0/ you could see that all the emoji comes from Android O emoji. That's the normal effect that this module does.

There are huge amounts of fonts replacing module, already made by other developer, only if you don't need emoji compatibility.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, that I'm on Android Marshmallow.

My situation is/was:
Especially when using Hangouts, on my Phone I have the old Marshmallow emojis, on my PC I have the new (obviously already old) Android Nougat emojis. I wanted them to match. So I installed your module, I think 1 or 2 months ago, then I had matching emojis (replaced, not added), great. The problem started with the last update of the module, I think about 2 weeks ago.

Let me get this right, that your module simply replaces NotoColorEmoji.ttf, correct? If yes, there's nothing to add, read my last post again.

Concerning this blob stuff, sorry, I don't understand this. I'm not experienced in fonts and emojis. I tried both links and I see emojis on the first link (emoji-4.0) and I don't see emojis on the second link (emoji-5.0).

HTH :)

simonsmh

Dec 14, 2015
Sorry, I should have mentioned, that I'm on Android Marshmallow.

My situation is/was:
Especially when using Hangouts, on my Phone I have the old Marshmallow emojis, on my PC I have the new (obviously already old) Android Nougat emojis. I wanted them to match. So I installed your module, I think 1 or 2 months ago, then I had matching emojis (replaced, not added), great. The problem started with the last update of the module, I think about 2 weeks ago.

Let me get this right, that your module simply replaces NotoColorEmoji.ttf, correct? If yes, there's nothing to add, read my last post again.

Concerning this blob stuff, sorry, I don't understand this. I'm not experienced in fonts and emojis. I tried both links and I see emojis on the first link (emoji-4.0) and I don't see emojis on the second link (emoji-5.0).

HTH :)

That is probably a bug. Please post up your /magisk/.core/fonts.xml

robotkoer

Apr 3, 2015
You should also consider mixing Nougat blobs with EmojiOne 3.1 (and later versions).

I feel like they fit the blobs well, even though they are not as flat as they used to be.

simonsmh

Dec 14, 2015
You should also consider mixing Nougat blobs with EmojiOne 3.1 (and later versions).

I feel like they fit the blobs well, even though they are not as flat as they used to be.
You could do that with replacing notocoloremoji-old.ttf in /magisk/notocoloremoji-replacer/system/fonts after installation by your self.

BerserkLeon

Feb 10, 2011
Hello. Id like to use this, but for some reason both phones I've tried it on bootloop eventually. I can't seem to find .core/fonts.xml and the one in the module's etc folder is 0 bytes.
One of those is probably the issue, guess i should mention I don't see a .core at all. I do have 'view hidden files' on.
Both phones are arm64. One is a Nexus 5x and the other is a Huawei Honor 8, U.S. versions.

simonsmh

Dec 14, 2015
Hello. Id like to use this, but for some reason both phones I've tried it on bootloop eventually. I can't seem to find .core/fonts.xml and the one in the module's etc folder is 0 bytes.
One of those is probably the issue, guess i should mention I don't see a .core at all. I do have 'view hidden files' on.
Both phones are arm64. One is a Nexus 5x and the other is a Huawei Honor 8, U.S. versions.
Remove magisk completely and try again should solve this problem. Also please upload fonts.xml

DaleSwanson

Dec 7, 2017
This is great, thanks. Replaced Samsung emojis with blobs on my A520F running 7.0 with Magisk v15.2, and I also have none blobs for the new 5.0 emojis.

Reactions: simonsmh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Noto Emoji with Blobs enabled
    This repository is intended to continue the development of the Blob emojis which have been abandoned by the original creators in 2017.

My goal is to upgrade the Blob emojis with a fresh style which is consistent to other emoji vendors.

Another thing is that this emoji set includes some emojis and ZWJ-sequences which are not part of the current emoji standard (although some or most of them are about to be included in the upcoming Unicode-standard), which means it might be one of the biggest emoji sets currently available! NotoColorEmoji fonts are provided by C1710's project.

NOTICE
    You should use latest Magisk Manager to install this module. If you meet any problem under installation from Magisk Manager, please try to install it from recovery.

https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/blobmoji
    Homemade NotoColorEmoji with Blobs finally comes in v3.0! Thanks @thayerfox!
    I just looked a little closer. I only added the new blob style emojis to the old file, I did not add the rest of the new emojis, relying on your fallback method you had used earlier. I would suggest keeping the fallback method, and just adding the updated notocoloremoji-old file which I added the new blobs to.

Done.
    Here's an album I found on Reddit a while ago. It's impressive. https://imgur.com/a/yb13F

There should be a way to edit one of the .ttf files.
    This is great, thanks. Replaced Samsung emojis with blobs on my A520F running 7.0 with Magisk v15.2, and I also have none blobs for the new 5.0 emojis.