[MOD] "FIX" for GoogleCamera HDR+ and dark/greenish RAW images on OOS-5.0 and up

Search This thread

shadowstep

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
I tried both and was only able to flash the "normal" zip with TWRP.

I've also installed the call recording Magisk module without any issue.

The OP5_OOS_5.0_GCam_HDR+_Fix-Magisk file just seems to be corrupt. I used this one btw: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eR9D-ya-lYDJCidSM4Wjhy06Ae0nSl3r

Can you try the attached Magisk module and see if it works for you? I've just updated the original module to the latest template (1500) for Magisk v15+.

Attachments

• OP5_OOS_5.0_GCam_HDR+_Fix-Magisk15+.zip
    596.7 KB · Views: 6,049

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
Yes! This one is working.

Thanks.

You're most welcome!
@siankatabg I updated your module to the latest template (v1500) for Magisk 15+ (download in this post); haven't changed anything (author, description, etc.) other than the template. Feel free to link it in/update the OP with this one. :) On a separate note, loving Codename Phoenix a lot! Using it as my daily driver now; getting insanely good battery life! Thank you so much!

siankatabg

Recognized Developer
Sep 9, 2012
You're most welcome!

@siankatabg I updated your module to the latest template (v1500) for Magisk 15+ (download in this post); haven't changed anything (author, description, etc.) other than the template. Feel free to link it in/update the OP with this one. :) On a separate note, loving Codename Phoenix a lot! Using it as my daily driver now; getting insanely good battery life! Thank you so much!
Thanks, I've added it to the first post:cowboy:

sketch.droid

Dec 11, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
i've just installed the recomended B.S.G Google Camera app, and flashed this Fix for it.

the app alone didnt work for me at all, black screen, UI freeze when navigating, crashing, I was able to get into settings and had a quick look around, saw some new options.

then i flashed this Fix, and camera now works, no more UI freeze, but still random crash, and a lot of settings removed from app.

the viewfinder dosnt seem very smooth at times, sometimes there is a delay between pressing capture button and actually taking photo. switching to video mode sometimes crashes app.
double tap zoom works, but using zoom slider does not update viewfinder when zooming above x2, even though it does zoom.

overall, i really love the final picture quality, so far its MUCH better than OOS.
I just wish this would be more stable, without random crashes, viewfinder to be smoother, and no random delay on button press to take pictures. Ohh and the dot pattern too, i hope that gets fixed.

maybe this is only me on my device??
one thing is for sure...even with these problems, i will still use this app after seeing the huge difference in photo quality!! ...OnePlus really should be ashamed for what they've done to their stock app.

Device:
OnePlus 5
OxygenOS 5.0.1
Root / Magisk 15.3

no other mods of any kind.

Last edited:

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
Still getting the dot pattern issue though.

That would be there, naturally.. as it has always been with the old camera HAL. It is either than or dark/greenish HDR pictures with Google Camera, so.. take your pick! ;)

i've just installed the recomended B.S.G Google Camera app, and flashed this Fix for it.

the app alone didnt work for me at all, black screen, UI freeze when navigating, crashing, I was able to get into settings and had a quick look around, saw some new options.

then i flashed this Fix, and camera now works, no more UI freeze, but still random crash, and a lot of settings removed from app.

the viewfinder dosnt seem very smooth at times, sometimes there is a delay between pressing capture button and actually taking photo. switching to video mode sometimes crashes app.
double tap zoom works, but using zoom slider does not update viewfinder when zooming above x2, even though it does zoom.

overall, i really love the final picture quality, so far its MUCH better than OOS.
I just wish this would be more stable, without random crashes, viewfinder to be smoother, and no random delay on button press to take pictures. Ohh and the dot pattern too, i hope that gets fixed.

maybe this is only me on my device??
one thing is for sure...even with these problems, i will still use this app after seeing the huge difference in photo quality!! ...OnePlus really should be ashamed for what they've done to their stock app.

Device:
OnePlus 5
OxygenOS 5.0.1
Root / Magisk 15.3

no other mods of any kind.

This fix has nothing to do with the crashes that you are facing; those are most probably because of the version/settings that you are using. The correct thread for that is this one. Also, you can find all the Google Camera apks here with their suggested settings. You will find a working one for sure from there.

sketch.droid

Dec 11, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T
That would be there, naturally.. as it has always been with the old camera HAL. It is either than or dark/greenish HDR pictures with Google Camera, so.. take your pick! ;)

This fix has nothing to do with the crashes that you are facing; those are most probably because of the version/settings that you are using. The correct thread for that is this one. Also, you can find all the Google Camera apks here with their suggested settings. You will find a working one for sure from there.

i've seen those threads, my problem right now, is the apk i installed had extra settings before the fix, but it was un-usable due to crashes and freezing.
After i applied the fix, it became more usable/stable but all the extra settings dont show in the menu now.

Is there a method to "un-do" the fix? or do i have to flash OOS again to restore?

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
i've seen those threads, my problem right now, is the apk i installed had extra settings before the fix, but it was un-usable due to crashes and freezing.
After i applied the fix, it became more usable/stable but all the extra settings dont show in the menu now.

Is there a method to "un-do" the fix? or do i have to flash OOS again to restore?

I highly suggest you uninstall your existing Google Camera app and reinstall a recommended version from the link that I had mentioned in my last post.

Also, to restore the stock camera HAL that comes with OOS 5.0.1, just flashed the attached zip and it will un-do the OP's mod/fix.

Attachments

• OP5-OOS-5.0.1-Restore-Stock-camera-HAL.zip
    986.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: ps000000 and fignon

Can。F

Jul 8, 2017
I highly suggest you uninstall your existing Google Camera app and reinstall a recommended version from the link that I had mentioned in my last post.

Also, to restore the stock camera HAL that comes with OOS 5.0.1, just flashed the attached zip and it will un-do the OP's mod/fix.
hello,my 5T flashthis to fix the GCamHDR+,then it can work.But the oos camera can't work now. :crying:

sketch.droid

Dec 11, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 8T

thanks for this restore zip. :cowboy:

well, i've tried GCam Arnova v1.2, v1.4, and 1.5, none of them are stable... either UI freeze, random crashing, and real buggy capture button where i press to take a picture and it just sits there for a few seconds before it actually takes the pic.

...also, i noticed that flashing the fix "after" installing the apk, the extra apk options disappear?!
does anyone else get this?
...i suppose its possible my OOS is buggy?!

muhaemin1

Mar 3, 2015
why the results of photos using portrait mode cameras so there are two results and in the folder. how to fix?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MOD] "FIX" for GoogleCamera HDR+ and dark/greenish RAW images on OOS-5.0 and up

Hello and merry Christmas to everyone :)

I'll keep the things simple.
    These flashable zips will "fix" the HDR+ capturing in GoogleCamera and the dark/greenish RAW images in camera2 apps on the Official OxygenOS 5.0 and all BETA releases after it (3 and 4 for now)

How it works:
    These zips will replace/overwrite your current camera.msm8998.so (camera HAL) with the one from OxygenOS OpenBeta 2.

I did just a quick test on both apps (stock and gcam) and all looks fine.
    Use on your own response, nothing is guaranteed here!

Downloads:

Magisk modules:
    For Magisk 14.x: GDRIVE
    For Magisk 15.x: (All credits to @shadowstep for updating it)
    XDA

Normal flashable zip: GDRIVE

Have fun :)
    Hi can u also provide the link to that gcam apk you are talking abt ? I mean the original gcam which was supposed to be overwritten by this zip

If you're looking for the modded Google Camera apk that works fine in combination with this mod on OOS 5.0 Oreo, then read the end of this post.

After flash i will have original oos camera ??

OOS Camera is not affected with this mod. Everything works fine for me, including Potrait Mode.

So this is only for those using google camera?

You really think it's better than oneplus camera? When I tried months ago it seemed worse. And no portrait

Yes, it is for those who want to use OOS Camera along with the modded Google Camera's HDR+. If you don't plan on using the modded Google Camera, then you don't need this mod.

Coming to which camera app is better, it's a subjective thing and the opinion differs from person to person. For me personally, Google Camera's HDR+ is far superior to OOS Camera's HDR. But I like OOS Camera's Potrait Mode to and plan to use both the apps.

Does OP have any recommendations for the best gcam mod to use in combination with this HDR+ fix mod? There are just so many. Include link if possible

Thanks!

Yep! Read the end of this post.

will this mod ( change the HAL ) effect OSS stock camera performance ?

There is no visible effect on OOS Camera's performance with this mod. It's the same for me. No lags or anything.

Coming to which modded Google Camera is working fine, I suggest using the apk from this post (this doesn't require any settings to be configured) along with the mod mentioned in the OP (which is needed on OOS 5.0 Oreo so that Google Camera doesn't crash).

Note: HDR+ works only with the HDR+ on mode and not the HDR+ auto mode. So make sure you're on the correct mode before you test the modded Google Camera app. :)
    Thanks Sian...... Thanks for all the hard work!
    Yes! This one is working.

Thanks.

You're most welcome!
    @siankatabg OnePlus updated the camera HAL once again in their latest Open Beta, i.e. the Open Beta 5. Looks like it resolved the greent tint overlay issue that was present with their last update to the camera HAL. :) The dotted pattern overlay issue (visible when completely zoomed in; which was there even with the old camera HAL) is back though.

I'm attaching a flashable zip with the latest updated camera HAL from OOS Oreo Open Beta 5, in case anyone wants to update. :)

EDIT 1: Also attached a Magisk Module in case anyone wants to use that instead!

EDIT 2: Removed attachments from this post; updated post here!