[ABANDONED][ROM][Oreo][OFFICIAL] AIM ROM v3.0/3.1 [DUI][8.0.0_r32/8.1.0_r7][Bullhead]

Search This thread

manpildo

Dec 21, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Do not use a custom kernel on the build, I will not provide support for EX or FK. Those two are outdated way more than they should be.
I tried stock kernel too for some time, there was no difference in performance compared to EX on 8.0, it still became laggy quickly. Unfortunately the stock kernel doesn't support swipe left/right on navbar to lock screen, so not much choice in this case. Or do you mean not to use EX/FK on 8.1? And what do you mean by outdated?

anirudhgupta109

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2016
LG Nexus 5X
OnePlus 6
I tried stock kernel too for some time, there was no difference in performance compared to EX on 8.0, it still became laggy quickly. Unfortunately the stock kernel doesn't support swipe left/right on navbar to lock screen, so not much choice in this case. Or do you mean not to use EX/FK on 8.1? And what do you mean by outdated?
The Linux version is .73 on EX while the inbuilt is on .108, and if you're using a custom kernel, please don't complain about performance issues, the performance is equal to stock if not miles ahead.

bart.found

Feb 20, 2014
Scicli
Hi, thank you to this great ROM! It has some minor issues, but runs very smooth!

Anybody managed to get hotword detection working?
Although I'm able to set the voice model properly, it doesn't work anyway.
It doesn't matter if display is on or off...
Please help me! ;)

manpildo

Dec 21, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Do not use a custom kernel on the build, I will not provide support for EX or FK. Those two are outdated way more than they should be.
The Linux version is .73 on EX while the inbuilt is on .108, and if you're using a custom kernel, please don't complain about performance issues, the performance is equal to stock if not miles ahead.
I think I have read a few senior kernel developers explain in the past that upstreaming linux just for the sake of it can be pointless, meaning the patches included don't do anything on our phones. @flar2 or @franciscofranco Can you please elaborate on that and explain why your kernel is supposedly outdated?

Last edited:

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I think I have read a few senior kernel developers explain in the past that upstreaming linux just for the sake of it can be pointless, meaning the patches included don't do anything on our phones. @flar2 or @franciscofranco Can you please elaborate on that and explain why your kernel is supposedly outdated?

In the interest of saving both @flar2 and @franciscofranco a likely heated conversation, I firmly recommend doing your own research. Search their respective 5X or 6P threads for their response on upstream kernels. When you find their respective responses and conversations about upstream kernel commits, you will see that your question is not one that's going to generate positive dialogue here.

In short, there won't be upstream kernel commits for either developer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

manpildo

Dec 21, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi Note 9 Pro
In the interest of saving both @flar2 and @franciscofranco a likely heated conversation, I firmly recommend doing your own research. Search their respective 5X or 6P threads for their response on upstream kernels. When you find their respective responses and conversations about upstream kernel commits, you will see that your question is not one that's going to generate positive dialogue here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It's not for me to explain, but to @anirudhgupta109. He seems to think that upstreaming is vital, is it?

Last edited:

manpildo

Dec 21, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I had uploaded the January Patch level on the 7th and had forgotten to post here, I've been using it for awhile and its ready for release, here is the link

ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ai...-V3.1-20180107-OFFICIAL-bullhead.zip/download

Once I get positive feedback, I'll update the OP with the link, there has been a lot of changes and feel free to dirty flash the build! There has been a change in vendor so you'd have to flash that too.

Vendor: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329070891

Procedure:
Flash Vendor
Flash ROM
Reboot
Been using this build for 2 days now, so some feedback is in order. So far my experience is much better than on v3.0 (android 8.0). The system is much smoother and faster, there has been no degradation in speed during this time, which is pretty impressive. v3.0 wasn't so smooth even after clean flashing, it definitely had memory management issues (at least on my device). Also taking into consideration I am using a custom kernel (EX) even though you didn't recommend it, I am still satisfied with performance. Let's see if it keeps up with longer time, 2 days of usage isn't very long, but there is definite improvement over v3.0 that started lagging as soon as I started multitasking.

I also haven't encountered any serious errors that would make the experience of using my phone worse. On the contrary, I am now enjoying it more. The small navbar is not a big deal, App Ops not working is also not a big deal, the recents bug has a simple workaround... and that's it, everything else has worked flawlessly so far.

I think it is better that you make the 7.01.18 build the main release version now, it is better and more stable than 3.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregbrooker

manpildo

Dec 21, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Some more feedback. Uptime currently is 4 days+ and during that time (without reboots!) performance hasn't dropped significantly, so this is great. The 7.01 build is performing better than Nougat and 8.0 ever did. But what for me is even more impressive is battery life. I am using EX Kernel with stock settings and my average consumption during this time has been Active: 26,5%/hr Idle: 1,38%/hr. I have NEVER seen such low numbers on stock kernel settings during such a long period of time. Even when I was using battery saving governor profiles I wasn't getting such good consumption. For example, I have very bad LTE signal at my workplace, and whenever I was at work my active and idle drains would skyrocket to 30%+ and 3%+ respectively, not anymore.

This ROM's performance and battery drain on default settings is unprecedented for me, very impressive so far. @anirudhgupta109 - Please don't stop maintaining our device. :) Waiting eagerly for your next build.

anirudhgupta109

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2016
LG Nexus 5X
OnePlus 6
Upstreaming isn't needed but it's the right way to make a kernel, I can see where that's coming from, but I again, WILL NOT support ANY custom kernel on my ROM even if it is advertised to have better features and stuff.

Thanks for clearing it up while I was away!

It's not for me to explain, but to @anirudhgupta109. He seems to think that upstreaming is vital, is it?
Vital?
No
Recommended for any kernel dev to do?
Yes

Reactions: manpildo

anirudhgupta109

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2016
LG Nexus 5X
OnePlus 6
Flar2 and Franco don't need to come and correct OP or vice versa. It's his rom provided as is lol if their kernels don't work on this rom, oh well (shrugs).
Thanks again for clearing it up

@anirudhgupta109 I'm having a weird issue with SuperSU on your 7.01.18 build. I flashed SuperSU SR-5 on a clean flash, but the app doesn't appear in my app drawer, but I do have root. Any way I can access the app?
It's wide-spread as far as I know, nothing I could control, I use Magisk personally and face no issues.

Yeah, same conclusion, trying magisk now...
Do report back if that fixed it

Been using this build for 2 days now, so some feedback is in order. So far my experience is much better than on v3.0 (android 8.0). The system is much smoother and faster, there has been no degradation in speed during this time, which is pretty impressive. v3.0 wasn't so smooth even after clean flashing, it definitely had memory management issues (at least on my device). Also taking into consideration I am using a custom kernel (EX) even though you didn't recommend it, I am still satisfied with performance. Let's see if it keeps up with longer time, 2 days of usage isn't very long, but there is definite improvement over v3.0 that started lagging as soon as I started multitasking.

I also haven't encountered any serious errors that would make the experience of using my phone worse. On the contrary, I am now enjoying it more. The small navbar is not a big deal, App Ops not working is also not a big deal, the recents bug has a simple workaround... and that's it, everything else has worked flawlessly so far.

I think it is better that you make the 7.01.18 build the main release version now, it is better and more stable than 3.0.
I shall do it asap, thanks for the feedback

Some more feedback. Uptime currently is 4 days+ and during that time (without reboots!) performance hasn't dropped significantly, so this is great. The 7.01 build is performing better than Nougat and 8.0 ever did. But what for me is even more impressive is battery life. I am using EX Kernel with stock settings and my average consumption during this time has been Active: 26,5%/hr Idle: 1,38%/hr. I have NEVER seen such low numbers on stock kernel settings during such a long period of time. Even when I was using battery saving governor profiles I wasn't getting such good consumption. For example, I have very bad LTE signal at my workplace, and whenever I was at work my active and idle drains would skyrocket to 30%+ and 3%+ respectively, not anymore.

This ROM's performance and battery drain on default settings is unprecedented for me, very impressive so far. @anirudhgupta109 - Please don't stop maintaining our device. :) Waiting eagerly for your next build.
I won't stop maintaining our device any time soon, so expect builds, right now, I have exams and stuff and therefore haven't had any time to reply on XDA or build for that matter. There has been only minor changes which doesn't effect the Bullhead, so don't see the point building right now, when there is any major change, I shall try to cook something up for everyone! Thanks for the feedback, and remember that I won't be supporting custom Kernels in any case. You'd see better numbers using the inbuilt kernel, but if you want to use a custom kernel, go ahead, I won't be supporting something I have 0 control over.

Reactions: joenun and manpildo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AIM%20ROM.gif

About-us.gif

AIMROM is based on AOSP. We AIM to provide you with an experience of unmatched stability, performance, battery life, customizations and useful features that are picked out by our team and testers. We ensure that the sweet taste of latest Android essence stays with your device..

Introducing Oreo based AIMROM for Nexus 5x (Bullhead)

features.gif

DIVE DEEP INTO THE FREEDOM HUB

STATUSBAR :

Network Traffic indicators

Quick settings rows and coloumn

Auto brightness icon toggle

Statusbar Custom Logos

Statusbar AIM Logo

VoLTE icon Toggle

Custom Statusbar icons

Brightness Control

-- More will be added soon --

INTERFACE :

AOKP Custom System Animations

XuiMod: Toast Animations

Listanimation Views and Interpolator

BUTTONS :

Smartbar

Fling

Pulse

Nav Bar doubletap to sleep

Powermenu Customizations

Volume Rockers Customization

Lockscreen :

Lockscreen doubletap to sleep

Lockscreen Charging info

Media Cover Art

Notifications :

Notification Ticker

Custom Battery Lights

MISC :

App Ops

App tost icon

Mtp insted of charging

Launch Music player on headset connect

More Goodies Are On Their Way!

Downloads.gif

Updates via inbuit AIM-OTA app for seamless updates!

Meet-our-team.gif

Emmanuel N. D. Enlinger (not a member of XDA) -->Founder/project maintainer

@Anand N v --> Co Founder/Head developer

@ShadowReaper1 --> Lead developer

@klabit87 --> Developer

Keep-in-touch.gif

JOIN OUR COMMUNITIES

DONATIONS ARE NOT NECESSARY, BUT IT WILL HELP US PAY SERVER BILLS, EACH AND EVERY PENNY FROM YOU IS VALUABLE

If you love our work and want to help us? then click the button:​

Outdated my ass.
    I had uploaded the January Patch level on the 7th and had forgotten to post here, I've been using it for awhile and its ready for release, here is the link

ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ai...-V3.1-20180107-OFFICIAL-bullhead.zip/download

Once I get positive feedback, I'll update the OP with the link, there has been a lot of changes and feel free to dirty flash the build! There has been a change in vendor so you'd have to flash that too.

Vendor: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673791459329070891

Procedure:
    Flash Vendor
    Flash ROM
    Reboot
    I will be pushing a build soon with some Substratum flavour, will have the custom Substratum Sysserv commits from substratum.review!

Note: the build is still 8.0.0, expect 8.1 soon!
    I'm sorry for being away everyone, I have exams approaching and don't really have the time to build, our gerrit is currently down due to server issues so the Feb patch is being delayed.
    I'll most probably post a build latest by the end of the month. Hope everyone understands!
    Thanks @manpildo for helping everyone in the thread, means a lot.

Edit: I have updated the OP with my last build (January 7th) since I forgot to do so and updated the vendor link of 8.1.0 in Post #2.