[TMO H932 ONLY] Progress Towards Root/TWRP/ROMs (not achieved yet)

Search This thread

brossovitch

Dec 30, 2014
Androidville
mega.nz
OnePlus 6
Tmobile doesn't care about a bootloader being locked. Remember bootloader gate with the s7? Not a damn thing changed.

I'm having fun learning on my phone, especially since I've been near bedridden for weeks now.

Give up if y'all want, but have patience. It's a guarantee. Since they cancelled the g7 it shouldnt be long before an exploit is released
Who's giving up?
I just don't think there's anything we can do, yet..

There was eventually a way to root the s7. That's why I haven't updated my better V30 yet.

It sucks we can't find an exploit in the T-Mobile app or the tmo adapt pr app that i usually remove or disable, you know the one that immediately asks for root when you flash SuperSU or something..

Also, wish there was a way to enable something through ADB to gain root. I mean, there's apps, like Package Disabler that can disable apps that you normally cannot by simply allowing administration access.
Apps like System UI tuner you have to allow access through ADB and it works.
There's gotta be a way with this device, ya know? Something. Every day I hope someone discovers or develops something. Patience... We could get something.
Heck, the US998 isn't even on the official bootloader unlock list yet..

I hope LG doesn't make me turn my back on them like Samsuck did after the S5 came. Because I really like LG a lot. I enjoy their skin too, much better than Sammy's. I just want root for adblocking, kernel control, deeper customizations, etc. I think we all do.

They should let us do whatever we want. Maybe make it more difficult to keep newbs away? LOL Not really. But I mean c'mon LG!
I know I'm ranting. Meanwhile, enjoying root on my G4..

Also, this warranty void bull**** is stupid! You don't void your warranty unlocking a OnePlus or Google Bootloader. Such crap man!

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
Who's giving up?
I just don't think there's anything we can do, yet..

There was eventually a way to root the s7. That's why I haven't updated my better V30 yet.

It sucks we can't find an exploit in the T-Mobile app or the tmo adapt pr app that i usually remove or disable, you know the one that immediately asks for root when you flash SuperSU or something..

Also, wish there was a way to enable something through ADB to gain root. I mean, there's apps, like Package Disabler that can disable apps that you normally cannot by simply allowing administration access.
Apps like System UI tuner you have to allow access through ADB and it works.
There's gotta be a way with this device, ya know? Something. Every day I hope someone discovers or develops something. Patience... We could get something.
Heck, the US998 isn't even on the official bootloader unlock list yet..

I hope LG doesn't make me turn my back on them like Samsuck did after the S5 came. Because I really like LG a lot. I enjoy their skin too, much better than Sammy's. I just want root for adblocking, kernel control, deeper customizations, etc. I think we all do.

They should let us do whatever we want. Maybe make it more difficult to keep newbs away? LOL Not really. But I mean c'mon LG!
I know I'm ranting. Meanwhile, enjoying root on my G4..

Also, this warranty void bull**** is stupid! You don't void your warranty unlocking a OnePlus or Google Bootloader. Such crap man!

I used to work for TMobile and that pr.adapt bs was just to let TMobile know you're device was rooted. If you came in with a rooted phone issue, without even looking at the device , tmobiles store software tells you it's been rooted. Depends on the rep if they are a tight ass and don't want to warranty the thing though. I never cared. TMobile started that when they cracked down on the people abusing the tethering bypass.

There has to be a known exploit. It's out there, I know it. I want to find it.

Brings up a question. If the kernel is rooted, does it light up the kernel panic ? Hmm

Jubeldum

Since nobody posted in a while, I figured nobody wanted this post number for some reason.
236u8h.jpg

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
What's the best Twitter handle to harass LG Mobile? Both LG in Korea and here in U.S.?

Sent from my official carrier unlocked LG V30+ US998

The BOSS himself... Good luck, I've tried and so have others with other TMobile phones...
https://mobile.twitter.com/johnlegere

No, I said LG.

Even the LG Developer department says they don't make the company policy, they just implement it. I need LG email or Twitter addresses to annoy LG people in charge -- who do make the policy. They're cancelling the G7 due to losing money, but there's a whole bunch of people waiting to buy the V30 if they would ever unleash full developer mode.

Last edited:

padmanek

Dec 17, 2012

You can safely flash older Nougat firmware with LGUP. I've been dancing between 11m 10v and 10f without any problems. No need to hesitate to update. Worst can happen u're gonna have to factory reset.
It might be not possible if you upgrade to Oreo tho ;]

brossovitch

Dec 30, 2014
Androidville
mega.nz
OnePlus 6
You can safely flash older Nougat firmware with LGUP. I've been dancing between 11m 10v and 10f without any problems. No need to hesitate to update. Worst can happen u're gonna have to factory reset.
It might be not possible if you upgrade to Oreo tho ;]
So far there's only been one update from 10b to 10c. Not a huge jump.

lightninbug

Sep 17, 2009
No, I said LG.

Even the LG Developer department says they don't make the company policy, they just implement it. I need LG email or Twitter addresses to annoy LG people in charge -- who do make the policy. They're cancelling the G7 due to losing money, but there's a whole bunch of people waiting to buy the V30 if they would ever unleash full developer mode.

...They don't care... We are a TINY MINORITY. You think they care about selling an extra hundred or so phones when they're selling them by the thousands? Don't waste your time with them. You will get nowhere. I'm not saying that being a ****, just don't want you wasting your time like other have in the past, including myself.

jcsww

...They don't care... We are a TINY MINORITY. You think they care about selling an extra hundred or so phones when they're selling them by the thousands? Don't waste your time with them. You will get nowhere. I'm not saying that being a ****, just don't want you wasting your time like other have in the past, including myself.

A hundred isn't a whole bunch, at least not in my opinion. :p

It kind of sucks that it would seem that LG has basically abandoned everything currently available and coming to start fresh. The V30/V30+ models should have all had Oreo by now but I will be surprised if we even see that at this rate.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
A hundred isn't a whole bunch, at least not in my opinion. [emoji14]

It kind of sucks that it would seem that LG has basically abandoned everything currently available and coming to start fresh. The V30/V30+ models should have all had Oreo by now but I will be surprised if we even see that at this rate.
Oreo is coming.

And "developer support" sells more phones than just to us. We recommend to family and friends.

Last edited:

crazyut

ChazzMatt is right; I used to be all about Samsung but the way the handled the Note 7 debacle even though I didn't own one, I left them because I felt they would not make good if I had a problem. Because I left Samsung, 9 people around me also left (2 went to Apple and 5 to LG (like me), 1 to Blackberry (LOL), and 1 to OnePlus).

Of those 9 people, 4 like me have 3 or more devices active.

Word of mouth can severely cut into sales.

Oreo is coming.

And "developer support" sells more phones than just to us. We recommend to family and friends.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Oreo is coming.

ChazzMatt is right; I used to be all about Samsung but the way the handled the Note 7 debacle even though I didn't own one, I left them because I felt they would not make good if I had a problem. Because I left Samsung, 9 people around me also left (2 went to Apple and 5 to LG (like me), 1 to Blackberry (LOL), and 1 to OnePlus).

There's actually a marketing classification for this: INFLUENCER.

"An influencer is an individual who has above-average impact on a specific niche process. Influencers are normal people, who are often connected to key roles of media outlets, consumer groups, industry associations or community tribes. ... Such individuals are not simply marketing tools, but social relationship assets."

jcsww

With 11 straight years of losses in their mobile department. Clearly it isn't helping enough.

Reactions: Josh McGrath

crazyut

For sure, and the money they spend on the over marketing of LG products is definitely not helping either. Combine that with their overzealous customer service as well as their hyper-competitive pricing scheme and they've got real problems, it's no wonder so many quarters of losses.

With 11 straight years of losses in their mobile department. Clearly it isn't helping enough.

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
@EMSpilot Directly -- no. However, that gave me a great idea. Check to see if they used any GPL code in lafd -- they did.

selinuxfs

They have also used various LGPL code, but since lafd is statically linked, then they are in violation of those licenses as well.

Now I don't have the money to sue LG, but I will be writing the FSF, and I suggest that all of you do as well. I will keep digging in the hopes that I can find GPL3 code. GPL2 they don't have to supply the keys needed to install the binary, but with the GPL3 they fixed that (Tivo was the main reason. Releasing firmware that couldn't be flashed because of this very reason -- security keys). However, just having the source code will make it SO much easier to find any security holes.

-- Brian

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

And for good measure, this is what I just fired off to LG:

It has come to my attention that the binary that you use in your "download mode" -- lafd uses GPL2 software, specifically selinuxfs: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/security/selinux/selinuxfs.c

I request the immediate release of the lafd source code, and any keys that I may need to flash a modified version onto my phone.

Thank you,

-- Brian

EDIT: That was the first step. They have to refuse to release the source, and then we follow this: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.en.html

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a heads up guys. I haven't been around because a family member had an accident. I just don't have time right now to do anything, and my head is not really in it. I figured I would at least pop in and let you guys know I hadn't just up and left.

I am not sure when I will be back. I apologise, it is about 75% done. Just need to make it safe, but I don't even have my laptop with me.

-- Brian
    Just to be clear, I have an H910 (AT&T) and several H918s (T-Mobile). I can make the F800 firmware work on the H910 (same RSA key), so I am only waiting on the H918 since like the H932, it is the odd man out of the V20s (different RSA key).

As soon as H918 Oreo drops, and I have it flashed, I will post what I have.

I don't so much care about running Oreo, but I want the firmware and drivers so I can start working on Pie for the V20. Much easier to use one rev old firmware / drivers to get an unsupported version working than a two rev old version ;)

-- Brian
    So, I heard you guys don't want root anymore....

I guess you wouldn't be interested in the MASSIVE breakthrough I just made, and the V30 laf has all the opcodes needed -- no COPY opcode required.

If so, let me know....... otherwise I'll just file this away in my "Lot-o-Work But They Didn't Want It" file ;P

-- Brian
    So root is going to be slim to zero chance? On the tmobile variant

I'm not a dev, but I have a theory based on what worked with the LG V20 AFTER Dirty Santa was patched. A dev used a custom made LGUP.exe file that tricked the LG V20 into installing KDZ for another LG V20 variant. He then rooted, installed TWRP, and then re-flashed the original firmware but still had TWRP recovery. The person who did this saw a similar method being used for the LG G5 to do something, and he coded an LGUP.exe file for the V20.

And yes, he then used Dirty Santa to unlock the bootloader, but ignore that. The T-mobile LG V30 doesn't need bootloader unlocked -- it needs firmware which can let TWRP be installed.

For something like this to work on the T-mobile, you need to wait for the open market US998 to be released, and placed on the bootloader unlock list. Then you need KDZ from that and a specially coded LGUP.exe file. The file for the V20 will NOT work, you will need one coded for the LG V30.

You would basically convert the T-mobile H932 temporarily to a US998, install TWRP, then flash back to H932 and still have TWRP installed.

I include links to all this dev work in these two posts, and explain more:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74557506&postcount=76

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74561087&postcount=78

In those two posts I also state why this may not work... but like I said I'm not a dev.
    Alright we are up to 3 pages of off-topic conversation. Can we get back on track here?