Hazy / foggy / blurry camera pictures? Try this!

Search This thread

bigboy292000

Jun 23, 2009
I looked into this problem as my wife started complaining about hazy pictures on her Trophy. :confused: Binged a few things and was soon on my way solving it.

First off: YMMV; this might or might not solve your picture problem. If you mess something up, realize that you did it yourself; I did not make you do it.

Problem: a lot of “haziness” or “cloudiness” in photos; I think this illustrates it quite well:

WP_000401.jpg

My diagnosis: tons of small scratches on the phone lens, when looked at through the magnifying glass.

What to do: polish the lens; yes, this might take off some sort of coating that is on there now but really – I don’t think it can be worse than it is now, so – I’m going in!

How to do it:

Tools used:

• A few Q-tips
  • Some toothpaste. Note that I used the Tom’s baking soda toothpaste but I believe that anything would do. I would just NOT use a toothpaste that is obviously coarse, like some of Colgate pastes are (if you get that crunchy feeling when brushing, I think it is too coarse).
  • A piece of masking tape over the speaker holes in the back of the phone as I don’t want toothpaste in there by mistake

Process:

• Wipe any grease off the lens as best as you can
  • Squeeze a small dab of toothpaste on a small plate; put a small amount of water on another (just a few drops will do I think)
  • Dip the end of the Q-tip into the toothpaste so there is just a little bit on it
  • Apply the toothpaste to the lens in circular motion; use pressure, but not enough to drive the Q-tip through the phone. J
  • Turn the Q-tip around and pick up any excess of paste
  • Dip another Q-tip into a drop of water and wipe off the residue; if you are leaving water and it is running into the phone, you are using too much.
  • Finally dry the lens with the dry end of second Q-tip

Check the result under magnifying glass/take a test photo. Repeat if necessary.

Result:

WP_000402.jpg

Yey! That'll help the 'ole Trophy serve me until a WP8 device is here! The minty fresh smell is just a bonus! :cool:

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I got two Trophy's to try this on... I am so doing this sometime after payday (yes, I'm that broke atm).

Last edited:

polteris

Aug 10, 2011
I confirm that this thing works perfectly. I clear the lens today and the results are great. Thanks for sharing this mate.

The first picture is before cleaning and the other two after!!!

Attachments

• WP_000138.jpg
    WP_000138.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 192
  • WP_000139.jpg
    WP_000139.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 184
  • WP_000149.jpg
    WP_000149.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

bigboy292000

Jun 23, 2009
Sweet! Glad it is working!

Apparently, HTC made Trophy camera lens out of butter. Because - both of our phones are in Incipio SILICRYLIC cases (which gives extra space between lens and anything that would rub against it) and yet - they were both messed up. I carry my phone in a pocket, never with keys but still... :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I looked into this problem as my wife started complaining about hazy pictures on her Trophy. :confused: Binged a few things and was soon on my way solving it.

First off: YMMV; this might or might not solve your picture problem. If you mess something up, realize that you did it yourself; I did not make you do it.

Problem: a lot of “haziness” or “cloudiness” in photos; I think this illustrates it quite well:

WP_000401.jpg

My diagnosis: tons of small scratches on the phone lens, when looked at through the magnifying glass.

What to do: polish the lens; yes, this might take off some sort of coating that is on there now but really – I don’t think it can be worse than it is now, so – I’m going in!

How to do it:

Tools used:

• A few Q-tips
    • Some toothpaste. Note that I used the Tom’s baking soda toothpaste but I believe that anything would do. I would just NOT use a toothpaste that is obviously coarse, like some of Colgate pastes are (if you get that crunchy feeling when brushing, I think it is too coarse).
    • A piece of masking tape over the speaker holes in the back of the phone as I don’t want toothpaste in there by mistake

Process:

• Wipe any grease off the lens as best as you can
    • Squeeze a small dab of toothpaste on a small plate; put a small amount of water on another (just a few drops will do I think)
    • Dip the end of the Q-tip into the toothpaste so there is just a little bit on it
    • Apply the toothpaste to the lens in circular motion; use pressure, but not enough to drive the Q-tip through the phone. J
    • Turn the Q-tip around and pick up any excess of paste
    • Dip another Q-tip into a drop of water and wipe off the residue; if you are leaving water and it is running into the phone, you are using too much.
    • Finally dry the lens with the dry end of second Q-tip

Check the result under magnifying glass/take a test photo. Repeat if necessary.

Result:

WP_000402.jpg

Yey! That'll help the 'ole Trophy serve me until a WP8 device is here! The minty fresh smell is just a bonus! :cool: