[ROM][4.4.4][golden] SlimKat

Search This thread

Tempak

Nov 21, 2009
Hi Andi. Yesterday flashed your latest Slim-golden-4.4.4.build.9.17-UNOFFICIAL-20180311-1809.zip with Gapps (Nano) and SuperSU 2.82 using TWRP 2.8.7.3.
Random unexpected end or non-responding apps (Gallery, YouTube, Camera), sometimes relaunched works fine, sometimes reboot is required, strange...
Camera app sometimes stop working while switching between photo and video movie. Sometimes it hang on with black screen for good then only reboot can fix it. I'm not sure if this is hardware problem or not.
But most annoying thing: when app is moved to sd card using Link2SD with App2SD method and shortcut is placed on desktop, it dissappear after reboot. Only shortcuts to apps moved to sd card are affected. These apps are still available within all apps menu, but It makes me sad.
I was hope that your rom will be my final destination and best choice for my S3Mini. Till now I'm using stock and OmniROM 5.1.1 by Golden-Guy (quite outdated, project reached EOL) with my other two mobiles.
Is this latest release stable on your device ?

Last edited:

Tempak

Nov 21, 2009
I am not using a golden anymore, its somewhere catching dust.
You can use build in app2sd support instead using 3rd party apps.
In fact Link2SD uses system app2sd. It can also link additional resources, but I used app2sd method only.
I really like Link2SD, it works really fine on OmniROM, so I suppose this piece of software is not an issue.
Can you recommend any previous and stable release of your SlimKat? I really wanna test it.

Android-Andi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
In fact Link2SD uses system app2sd. It can also link additional resources, but I used app2sd method only.
I really like Link2SD, it works really fine on OmniROM, so I suppose this piece of software is not an issue.
Can you recommend any previous and stable release of your SlimKat? I really wanna test it.
Last Feedback i got in a German Forum was positive about all latest builds - so you might want to test if there's anything matching your needs.

Reactions: HirogenX

Tempak

Nov 21, 2009
Well, I just used native system move app to sd card method without Link2SD (from applications menu). Shortcut was removed from desktop just after move to sd card was finished. So I created shortcut again. Reboot, and it's gone. I'll try to reflash ROM again, without SuperSU to check it once again on really fresh install, without any additional apps like Link2SD.

Android-Andi

Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
It's faster than 7.1.2-ROMs, right? Maybe I should switch to this. Thank you for support the rom. Security patch up to date, right? Very cool for a kitkat-based ROM :cowboy:
Rom Side it's patched up to March 2018.
Kernel would need some more love and a lot of testing as golden is sensitive in some kernel parts (remember broken Bluetooth and wifi updating kernel to 3.0.101 - and also trouble after applying a bunch of other security fixes)

Reactions: allrightlite

Tempak

Nov 21, 2009
Just after reflash Slim-golden-4.4.4.build.9.17-UNOFFICIAL-20180311-1809.zip without SuperSU, but with Gapps Nano. Shortcut dissappear just after app is moved to sd card (using app2sd native method), also dissapear after reboot. Next, camera app - unexpected close after several switches between photo, video and some third mode on top (I don't know what this mode is for).

After reflash previous build 20180311-1256 - the same issues. Tomorrow I'll try flash older builds.

In the meantime I reflashed to OmniROM 5.1.1. No issues with native app2sd, shortcut is in place after this, and after reboot, no issues with camera app while swhitching between camera and video mode (tried plenty of times). So it seems my hardware is ok, and something is wrong with latest SlimKAT, at least for me.

Today flashed 20180126-1733 without Gapps. Camera app is really stable, GUI is more responsible, apps works fine, no crashes at all. But shortcuts for app moved to sd card dissapear from desktop after reboot, like in later builds.

20160109-1419 without Gapps. The same as 20180126-1733. Camera app stable, responsible, but shortcut to app moved to sd card dissappear after reboot.

20141222-1325 without Gapps. The same as 20180126-1733. Am I really first person that noticed that shortcuts for app moved to sd card dissappear with this ROM ?

Tried latest 20180311-1809 once again but this time without Gapps. Camera app crashed after several switches between photo and video mode (Unfortunatelly, Camera has stopped). Of course shortcut still disappear.

As last build I flashed 20180227-2335. This one is also stable (camera app), so this seems to be latest stable build. Latest two: 20180311-1256, 20180311-1809 are totally unstable and I cannot undestand how others can say that it's not.

But all tested ROMs lose desktop shortcuts to apps moved to sd card just after move to sd card and also after reboot.
I used Pou 1.4.73 installed directly from apk file to test it. This is not happen on OmniROM 5.1.1-20161003 for instance with the same app. I tried other apps too.

I am really suprised that nobody noticed it before, as long S3mini have relative small internal storage and moving apps to sd card seems to be common on this device.
Maybe someone give me any advice what I'm doing wrong? Here is my test scenario:

1. Boot to TWRP v2.8.7.3
2. Wipe > Advanced Wipe, check Dalvik Cache, System, Cache, then wipe
3. Install> choose *.zip with ROM
4. Reboot (without installing Gapps and SuperSU if asked)
5. Try to install any apk file from Simple Explorer. It complains about settings which does not allow to install apps from unknown sources, so go to settings then check Unknown sources, then install apk again.
6. Shortcut to installed app is not placed on desktop automatically., so open all apps, then drag Icon on desktop, try to launch app, close it
7. Drag icon from desktop to right upper App Info area, click Move to SD card button. When done back to dekstop. Icon will dissappear.
8. Open all apps, then drag Icon to desktop again, then reboot phone. Icon dissappear from dekstop after reboot.

What's going on? I formatted sd card, there is no difference. I suppose that SlimLauncher 1.0 is buggy. If someone know any workaround then please share it with me.

This didn't stopped me testing 20180227-2335 release with Gapps and SuperSU. Till now it works really fine, it's stable.
Anybody can point me how to make folder on desktop (app drawer) ? It is possible or not ?

Last edited:

Tempak

Nov 21, 2009
Another issues related to release 20180227-2335 which I currently testing.

1. Push messages are not comming in at all, here is what CatLog says:

04-08 20:34:44.863 I/PackageManager( 2174): Action: "android.intent.action.SENDTO"
04-08 20:34:44.863 I/PackageManager( 2174): Category: "android.intent.category.DEFAULT"
04-08 20:34:44.863 I/PackageManager( 2174): Scheme: "sms"
04-08 20:34:44.863 I/PackageManager( 2174): Adding preferred activity ComponentInfo{com.android.mms/com.android.mms.ui.ComposeMessageActivity} for user 0 :
04-08 20:34:44.893 I/PackageManager( 2174): Action: "android.intent.action.SENDTO"
04-08 20:34:44.893 I/PackageManager( 2174): Category: "android.intent.category.DEFAULT"
04-08 20:34:44.893 I/PackageManager( 2174): Scheme: "smsto"
04-08 20:34:44.893 I/PackageManager( 2174): Adding preferred activity ComponentInfo{com.android.mms/com.android.mms.ui.ComposeMessageActivity} for user 0 :
04-08 20:34:44.943 I/PackageManager( 2174): Action: "android.intent.action.SENDTO"
04-08 20:34:44.943 I/PackageManager( 2174): Category: "android.intent.category.DEFAULT"
04-08 20:34:44.943 I/PackageManager( 2174): Scheme: "mms"
04-08 20:34:44.943 I/PackageManager( 2174): Adding preferred activity ComponentInfo{com.android.mms/com.android.mms.ui.ComposeMessageActivity} for user 0 :
04-08 20:34:44.973 I/PackageManager( 2174): Action: "android.intent.action.SENDTO"
04-08 20:34:44.973 I/PackageManager( 2174): Category: "android.intent.category.DEFAULT"
04-08 20:34:44.973 I/PackageManager( 2174): Scheme: "mmsto"
04-08 20:34:44.973 I/PackageManager( 2174): Adding preferred activity ComponentInfo{com.android.mms/com.android.mms.ui.ComposeMessageActivity} for user 0 :
04-08 20:34:45.003 W/BroadcastQueue( 2174): Permission Denial: receiving Intent { act=android.provider.Telephony.WAP_PUSH_DELIVER typ=application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml flg=0x8000010 cmp=com.android.mms/.transaction.PushReceiver (has extras) } to com.android.mms/.transaction.PushReceiver requires android.permission.RECEIVE_WAP_PUSH due to sender com.android.phone (uid 1001)

Andi, can you add "android.permission.RECEIVE_WAP_PUSH" to com.android.mms/.transaction.PushReceiver app, then share modified com.android.mms apk file ? Then I'll try to put it into /system/priv-app to test it.

BTW. I had the same issue with OmniROM.

2. MMS messages are not comming in, while mobile data is disabled. When I enable it then all queued MMS are arrive, but without mobile data enabled they are not comming in. Again I had the same issue with OmniROM. It's really annoying, because I do not use mobile data by default. Usually I use WIFI, when WIFI is not reachable then I don't wanna switch to mobile data because it's extra paid.

In stock ROM when MMS comes in, mobile data is automatically enable for a while to receive content, then disable. It is possible to mimic this in SlimKAT ?

3. Random shutdown during Bluetooth transfers (receiving files). Device freeze, then turns off.

Last edited:

Tempak

Nov 21, 2009
Hi,
I found that in the meantime new builds were release:
Slim-golden-4.4.4.build.9.18-UNOFFICIAL-20180510-0954.zip
Slim-golden-4.4.4.build.9.18-UNOFFICIAL-20180507-2137.zip
Did anybody test it?
Are they better than totally unstable Slim-golden-4.4.4.build.9.17-UNOFFICIAL-20180311-1256 and Slim-golden-4.4.4.build.9.17-UNOFFICIAL-20180311-1809 ?
Any issued described above are fixed or only security patches were apply ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mandayugana

Bambusbieger

Jul 28, 2018
Hi, i'm using this awesome rom a while on my S3 mini. It's very smooth and stable =)
But i have one problem with the rom. Apps like "Amazon Music" can't be used. When i start the Amazon Music App it say's my Phone is rooted and the App can't be used. As i read on the first page of this thread, the Slimkat Rom should come without root. So i don't now why the Amazon Music App is detecting root on my device. Is there a workaround or fix for this issue? because i think that much more Apps then Amazon Music are effecten by this issue =/

Dark.Arrow

Feb 10, 2017
Aydın
Hi, i'm using this awesome rom a while on my S3 mini. It's very smooth and stable =)
But i have one problem with the rom. Apps like "Amazon Music" can't be used. When i start the Amazon Music App it say's my Phone is rooted and the App can't be used. As i read on the first page of this thread, the Slimkat Rom should come without root. So i don't now why the Amazon Music App is detecting root on my device. Is there a workaround or fix for this issue? because i think that much more Apps then Amazon Music are effecten by this issue =/

Use Magisk instead of standard rooting method (I didn't tested in this rom) :highfive: It hides your root from unwanted detections :good:

Android-Andi

Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
Latest build clean flashed?
Old slimkat came rooted. Latest build doesn't have root and passes safety net.

Bambusbieger

Jul 28, 2018
Thanks for the fast response =)
i can't use Magisk, because it requires Android 5.0+ =(
It's the latest build (9.19) and totally clean flashed. It's my first custom rom on this device and i wiped everything except internal storage. I only flashed the SlimKat 9.19 rom and OpenGapps Nano. I don't need root, i just want to use the Amazon Music App ^^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SlimKat
    [#KITKAT]
    UNOFFICIAL BUILDS FOR SAMSUNG S III MINI - AKA. SAMSUNG GOLDEN
    GT-I8190

[#WHATSSLIM]

[#SLIMKAT]

[#WARRANTY]

Download:
    [#DLGITHUBIO]

[#INFOSLIM]

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [golden] SlimKat, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S III Mini

Contributors
    Android-Andi, SlimRoms, golden-guy
    Source Code: https://github.com/SlimRoms

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: SlimKat Build 6.7

Created 2014-05-20
    Last Updated 2016-07-04
    Reserved

Download

SlimKat GT-I8190 (aka. Samsung "Golden")

SlimKat GApps - incl. support for TheRealDarkSlim (TRDS) - please also use this Thread to check for latest GApps changes, and Bugreports about our GApps

Disable Button-Backlight?
    Settings -> Navigation -> Harwarebutton -> Backlight -> Uncheck "Illuminate buttons"

Advanced Reboot?
    Settings -> Security -> Advanced Reboot

Updates???
    Only if i feel to update :p - I am releasing this Rom just-for-fun as i was missing SlimKat on my S3 mini :)

Hey all together!

I just started the terminal to run the final Build 9 of SlimKat for our golden!

I added an option to accept all file types on Bluetooth, somehow it was missing all the time and only added on CAF branch.

Also Lockscreen notification will be here like every time!

This will be my last SlimKat build for golden! Thanks a lot for all the feedback and great time here :)

Send from OnePlus One using Tapatalk
    Finally got my golden back yesterday and started updating and cleaning up my sources. Thanks to @golden-guy and @Meticulus for the initial work. Hope i get a booting SlimLP build until next week.
    New build up.
    Applyed YouTube fix from @Meticulus,
    Also fixed some compilerwarnings, thx Fred!
    Fixed usecase_gov messing max freq. (Ignoreing set.max freq.) - Thx to @cocafe , @Meticulus and @jri14

Send from OnePlus One using Tapatalk