FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to uninstall an app from Recovery?

2,174 posts
Thanks Meter: 610

By lotherius, Inactive Recognized Developer on 14th September 2009, 07:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I installed an application that sent my phone into a bootloop. I identified the culprit via adb logcat, but obviously cannot get into the phone to delete it. I don't want to do a wipe - I have a lot of time spent customising things as is and data I don't want to lose in some apps. Is there a way from within the recovery console to delete the offending application directly to stop the bootloop?

EDIT: N/m... thought it was the app, looking closer at adb logcat, looks like it isn't... and I found a way to delete the app but the issue remains.

Going to switch ROMs, the one I'm using now is fast, but appears to be way too buggy.

14th September 2009, 08:00 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius

I installed an application that sent my phone into a bootloop. I identified the culprit via adb logcat, but obviously cannot get into the phone to delete it. I don't want to do a wipe - I have a lot of time spent customising things as is and data I don't want to lose in some apps. Is there a way from within the recovery console to delete the offending application directly to stop the bootlopp?

omgggggggggg

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=4529707

if you have apps2sd
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/sd/app/xxxx.apk (or if that doesn't work put -r after rm)
if you dont have apps to sd, i believe apps are in /data/app
The Following User Says Thank You to B-man007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift B-man007 Ad-Free
14th September 2009, 08:08 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 166

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man007

omgggggggggg

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=4529707

if you have apps2sd

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/sd/app/xxxx.apk (or if that doesn't work put -r after rm)
if you dont have apps to sd, i believe apps are in /data/app

i think my crappy typed-at-work commands have been quoted lol. I need to start a whole series of typed at work commands.

Also @lotherius what rom were you using?
15th September 2009, 04:53 AM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Houston, TX

Donate to Me
More
Enomther's Rogers. May not have been the ROM but I am a bit frustrated as I have had several problems with it, and just went back to Cyanogen 4.0.4 for now. Thanks for the info.
23rd July 2013, 01:23 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy
Hi lotherius,

I'm in the same situation; How did you delete the app within the recovery? I have a Cyanogenmod 10.1 (android 4.2.2) based custom ROM with TWRP recovery right now.

Thanks in advanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius

I installed an application that sent my phone into a bootloop. I identified the culprit via adb logcat, but obviously cannot get into the phone to delete it. I don't want to do a wipe - I have a lot of time spent customising things as is and data I don't want to lose in some apps. Is there a way from within the recovery console to delete the offending application directly to stop the bootloop?

EDIT: N/m... thought it was the app, looking closer at adb logcat, looks like it isn't... and I found a way to delete the app but the issue remains.

Going to switch ROMs, the one I'm using now is fast, but appears to be way too buggy.

23rd July 2013, 03:36 PM |#6  
adb uninstall badapp.apk
Or if this won't work try
adb shell
adb rm /data/app/badapp.apk
Or system app or wherever it is (may be able to just delete the data of the app too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
24th July 2013, 04:51 AM |#7  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Houston, TX

Donate to Me
More
Wow, thread necromancy
17th February 2018, 03:44 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm just a guy, not a techophobe so I have no idea how to get to the shell inorder to type those commands. My daughter's Macbook Pro just endlessly restarts itself unless I put it in Recovery mode or Safe mode. I suspect it is 3rd party apps causing this, but I can't delete apps from Rec. or Safe mode and no one here has put it in layman's terms.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)