Do you want a Samsung Dex dock?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Jytor

Mar 31, 2018
Hi, new here with a S9+ and Dex station (V1)

Found a keymapping solution that works with Dex and requires no root. If anyone is interested it's called Octopus in play store and works fairly well except for some reason I can't use left click to fire in fps games even though the button it's recognised, as a workaround I can map keyboard key to shoot :D (note 8 running Android 7.1). Hope it helps and have fun with it owning everyone.

I found it on the store and the amount of authorizations asked is really too much, even if you can disable some.

can anyone shed some light for me on the Netflix issue.?! haven't been using Dex for a while and turns out that on Oreo after factory reset its not working in full screen mode even after turning Labs On and when trying Dex Max it won't recompile... actually when you choose Netflix, message appears something about unexpected exception occurred and Java not been found.. do I need to use some older version of Netflix? is this the Oreo thing?

I had the same issue and I found a youtube video that I can't link because of new account, title is "The Secret Trick To Running Netflix In Full Screen On" TL;DW: instal Netflix V 5.11.2 and do the expert thing with DexMax, just be careful for updates!

HI,
I've a samsung s9+ with original Dex station (not dex pad).
In resolution chooser i've only automatic, FHD and HD+ selectable. WQHD (2560x1440) is in gray and non selectable. I've tried both my monitor 2k and tv 4k. Max is 1080p.
It's normal?

I have the exact same issue with the same setup and a 4K TV

sirobelec

Feb 20, 2014
Hi all.
There's this pain in my... human USB port... that's annoying as all hell.
I believe you're aware of it and thought I'd bring it up.
Through trial and error I found that Dex mode uses the Samsung keyboard application as default when a physical keyboard is plugged in and there is no way to change that.
Which means, we're limited to the languages and layouts which the Samsung keyboard app offer in DeX mode.
I emphasize, in DeX mode.
And a lot of layouts don't seem to be present, including of course, the one I need (Bulgarian phonetic, if anyone is interested). :D

My confirmation that Samsung were actually stupid enough to implement this limitation is when I deleted the Samsung keyboard with Titanium backup, now Dex doesn't start at all. That's fixable, of course.

My question is: is there any way to force DeX to use another Keyboard app as default? Or force the Samsung keyboard app to show all its layouts?

Or a workaround that I'm not aware of? :D

Jytor

Mar 31, 2018
Hi, I have a S9+ with the Dex station and the fan is always running, as soon as I plug it it run and never stop until I remove the phone... I did some research and nobody is talking about the fan with the S9 and no complain either with the fan while on Oreo on S8.
So does anyone had this issue before or does a S9 user can tell me how the fan is acting?

oneraddood

Oct 19, 2013
www.facebook.com
Tried a 4K, hdmi 2.0a cable but still same grayed out option. I have the Asus PG348Q ultra wide gaming monitor 3440*1440. Sadly I dont have another monitor to test with that has the exact 2560x1440 res. But Why does 1920x1080p work on my ultra wide?
HetPFeU.jpg

I just got the update to oreo and immediately booted into dex on my 4k monitor and 1440p is greyed out as well..that was one of the features I was really looking forward to. Wonder if we can only do it with the new dock?

SmilerOnline

May 6, 2011
London, UK
play.google.com
I just got the update to oreo and immediately booted into dex on my 4k monitor and 1440p is greyed out as well..that was one of the features I was really looking forward to. Wonder if we can only do it with the new dock?

Its fine for me on the 2017 DeX station, I've had it running at 2k resolution since the Oreo beta on the S8+ back in november, and now the S9+ also works at 2k for me too.

Do you know which HDMI version your display (and cable) support?

oneraddood

Oct 19, 2013
www.facebook.com
Its fine for me on the 2017 DeX station, I've had it running at 2k resolution since the Oreo beta on the S8+ back in november, and now the S9+ also works at 2k for me too.

Do you know which HDMI version your display (and cable) support?
It's a 4k hdmi cable and I tried the cable that came with my xbox one x and still greyed out. I have the 2017 dex station as well. Tried messing around with monitor setting but still nothing. Maybe I need to do a factory reset.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

StardustGeass

Jan 7, 2012
Jakarta
Sorry if this have been discussed before, but I didn't find anything searching.

Is it possible to use the DeX on an ultrawide screen in a satisfying way? Will it be stretched out? Black bars on sides? Any way to have two homescreens side by side if that makes any sense?

This is the screen I'm getting:
http://www.samsung.com/za/monitors/curved-se790c/

Phone is Note 8 Exynos with Nougat.

Original DeX

Haven't tried it, but AFAIK, dex supports only several ratio... And I am not sure whether they hold on with the ultra wide screen, fingers crossed though...

Reactions: HiGreen

anmeldung

Jul 24, 2007
Good morning,

I've received finaly Android Oreo.

Again no support in DeX mode for Physical keyboard - Bulgarian phonetic layout.

To bad I think.

SmilerOnline

May 6, 2011
London, UK
play.google.com
I managed to set a custom resolution using ADB over wifi (part of the Android developer tools) with the following command:
adb shell wm size 2880x1620
I did try to set it to 4k, but 2880 seems to be the maximum width I can set, so I just set the height as 1620 to optimise it for my 16:9 aspect ratio monitor.
Technically, you could try to calculate the highest resolution with a value equal to or less than 2880 which would match your displays aspect ratio, whch may be useful if you have a 4:3, 16:10 or 21:9 aspect ratio display.

Once changed, you can check the new resolution by entering the following command and reading the 'Override' value, the 'Physical' size is just the phones screen resolution so ignore that.

There may be some visual bugs when changing the resolutions as they obviously haven't been officially tested.

You can change the DPI by modifying the density value, by default it is 160.
Lower values will shrink the UI to display more stuff on screen, the higher density makes items look bigger on screen.
Changing the density multiple times may cause display issues such as icons not displaying correctly etc...
I fixed this just by selecting a different resolution in the DeX settings to quickly restore the devices default setttings.
adb shell wm density

*IMPORTANT NOTE*
This will almost certainly create problems when going back into phone mode unless you apply the phones resolution and DPI settings before exiting DeX and the ADB tool.

Please note that I can't integrate this into Desktop Hub as this adjusts a secure system setting which requires you to use the ADB commands, which are not available to third party apps i.e. Desktop Hub.
jl1f06.jpg

Last edited:

oneraddood

Oct 19, 2013
www.facebook.com
I managed to set a custom resolution using ADB over wifi (part of the Android developer tools) with the following command:

I did try to set it to 4k, but 2880 seems to be the maximum width I can set, so I just set the height as 1620 to optimise it for my 16:9 aspect ratio monitor.
Technically, you could try to calculate the highest resolution with a value equal to or less than 2880 which would match your displays aspect ratio, whch may be useful if you have a 4:3, 16:10 or 21:9 aspect ratio display.

Once changed, you can check the new resolution by entering the following command and reading the 'Override' value, the 'Physical' size is just the phones screen resolution so ignore that.

There may be some visual bugs when changing the resolutions as they obviously haven't been officially tested.

Lower values will shrink the UI to display more stuff on screen, the higher density makes items look bigger on screen.
Changing the density multiple times may cause display issues such as icons not displaying correctly etc...
I fixed this just by selecting a different resolution in the DeX settings to quickly restore the devices default setttings.

*IMPORTANT NOTE*
This will almost certainly create problems when going back into phone mode unless you apply the phones resolution and DPI settings before exiting DeX and the ADB tool.

Please note that I can't integrate this into Desktop Hub as this adjusts a secure system setting which requires you to use the ADB commands, which are not available to third party apps i.e. Desktop Hub.
jl1f06.jpg
is adb over wifi an app?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BladeMaverick

Mar 28, 2012
I recall something previously that the HP Elite X3 Lap Dock worked in the previous betas of Oreo. Does it still work with SM-G955U with G955USQU2CRB9?

batmar333

Aug 6, 2006
Hi guys, does anyone know why after Oreo upgrade I'm unable to set HDMI audio out by default? I did an hard reset but I have to switch manually to send audio from phone to HDMI....TIA..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to DeXDA forums. :)
    samsung-dex-dubai-uae-price.jpg

Official Samsung info page

Sync Chrome desktop bookmarks with 'Samsung Internet' browser:
    Chrome desktop extension

Run Windows apps:
    WINE

Install a custom Linux OS:
    Linux on Galaxy

Apps built primarily for DeX:
    Desktop Hub
    <WEBSCAPE/>

Simple developer guide to add DeX improvements to your app:
    Official developer page

Promo video:

DeX dock:
    samsung-dex-docking-station-7-500x333.jpg

If you already have DeX and want to enable resizable windows for all apps either follow the guide available in the Desktop Hub app or just go into the 'Settings/Samsung Dex/About Samsung DeX' and keep tapping the DeX logo until you see the version name change to show the message (Developer) after it!

Popular Youtuber 'Mr Mobile' review:

Screenshot of DeX Desktop:
    20ubmo6.png

Screenshot of DeX desktop multi-window
    2i0ck8i.png

2ex555w.jpg

Find more XDA discussions on this in the S8 section thanks to @oF2pks:
    https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/discussion-dex-to-to-true-t3594012
    I have put together this free(and ad free) app for DeX users (Dex Hub).

It simply lets you choose whether your device automatically turns on/off Wi-Fi & Bluetooth when going in and out of DeX mode.

It plays start & exit sounds to confirm when it has ran the script.

It also has a device resources and background services monitor for those of you with performance concerns when in DeX mode:

Dex Hub - Play store link

Normally I would charge for apps (ads just didn't generate enough revenue), but this is free as I want to encourage the adoption of Unified Computing, yeah it is nothing special, but it is just designed to remove the need to change settings continuously and reduce anxieties of those who think that the S8 doesn't have the horsepower to do what they want.
    I may add more features in the future if it can help to encourage more people to use the DeX mode.
    There is a donate button in the overflow menu if you want to support development, but there isn't any need to as everything is available to all users.

PDUq6iXSz-XzkfZeGsmgcGXkes6ohQxQfTjmA0wslchFbx-WqsRQShREQBFWcKY2qsbP=h900-rw
    adb shell wm size 2880x1620

adb shell wm density

*IMPORTANT NOTE*

jl1f06.jpg
    I aren't sure that I can say anything yet, but I will just say that I think that there is something big that will be announced for DeX during SDC! ?

*UPDATE*
    Linux on Galaxy (DeX):
    https://seap.samsung.com/linux-on-galaxy
    That perfectly makes sense. Installing Linux distros on Android using the same kernel is easy, there are installers since the beginning. As Android doesn't use the standard unix folder names (usr, bin, lib...) installing Linux won't overwrite the Android system.
    I'm glad Samsung realized that they can build a basic desktop on Android, but for a full mobile workstation they need a more serious base OS. And finally the hardware is there to run a full Linux system without problems.
    The main challenge now is to integrate the phone software - like notifications, calls, messages; apps - especially calendar, email and games; and hardware - like using the phone as a touchpad, integrating wifi and bluetooth controls in the Linux desktop.

Anyway, please share with us your impressions too (like usability, user experience...).

So, I should note that DeX will be exactly as it is now, but you can launch Linux and it will launch like any other app. So DeX will still show all of your Android apps fine, but you can run Linux apps on the Linux distro.
    I am excited to see if I can use 'Wine' on there, as that will allow Legacy Windows apps to run directly from the phone! :)

*Update*
    Picture of it in action:
    5ue8vl.jpg