I have an omnia 7 on contract with Optus here in Australia. I have had it for a few days now and I've found the data connection to be very patchy, even though I have full reception where I live.
I have noticed the connection icon switching between 3G and 3G+ pretty much constantly when I'm using it.
This is basically what is happening as I try it at the moment:
- Icon says 3G.
- Tried to load the Optus website and the icon changed to 3G+ and the progress bar is just hanging there, wont go any further.
- Icon has changed back to 3G, still hanging.
- Try to load again, now it has changed to 3G+ and the site loaded.
- Icon has changed back to 3G.
- Clicked a link on the website and the icon changed to 3G+, page loaded fine.
- Icon changed back to 3G.
- Tried to load the facebook app, "Unable to connect to Facebook. Please try again later.
- Trying to load optuszoo.com.au again, icon says 3G.. just hanging there again.
- Icon has changed to 3G+, still hanging.
- Icon has changed to 3G, still hanging.
Could this be a fault with my phone? I'm in an area of strong reception, it shouldn't have a problem getting a steady 3G+ connection (I used to have a HTC Diamond which always had a strong HSDPA signal). I can only guess that every time it switches from 3G to 3G+ it loses the connection, which stops things from loading & syncing. Is there anything I can try here before I take it back to the store? I do not have the new firmware, and don't particularly want to try messing with it if I have to return it.
I have the exact same issue with my HTC Mozart. The signal constantly keeps changing between 3G and HSDPA when I'm in an area that has stable strong reception.
This causes the same DNS issues as stated in IE in which websites fail to load until you refresh them a number of times.
To me it appears that its an issue with IE and the way WP7 calculates and handles the signal. Can anyone confirm if Microsoft have confirmed that there are issues with IE and the signal and when this will be fixed?