FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Demagnetize phone?

945 posts
Thanks Meter: 490

Post Reply Email Thread
Recently I was getting a kinda weird effect. My compass now always directs to the bottom of the phone/screen, except when it is in open state. I think I have magnetized some parts somehow, and it is kinda disturbing when I want to use Layar or anything else what uses the built-in magnetometer.

Is there any way to fix this?

Theoretically putting the device into a simple depolarized magnetic field would solve the problem, but I don't know if it will damage the phone itself or not.

7th September 2010, 01:10 PM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix232

Recently I was getting a kinda weird effect. My compass now always directs to the bottom of the phone/screen, except when it is in open state. I think I have magnetized some parts somehow, and it is kinda disturbing when I want to use Layar or anything else what uses the built-in magnetometer.

Is there any way to fix this?

Theoretically putting the device into a simple depolarized magnetic field would solve the problem, but I don't know if it will damage the phone itself or not.

There are no magnetic components in the phone.
That means that it can't be magnetized.

I'm sorry to say that your magnetic field sensor itself is shot.

Note that putting the thing into a demagnetizer, if the sensor wasn't already dead, would DEFINITELY destroy it.
26th April 2016, 03:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How do I demagnetize my cell phone screen
14th May 2018, 01:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Actually phones have a magnet for the compass function and apps such as google maps to show which direction you are facing. Also, if you put your phone near magnets a lot it might magnetize metal parts in the phone messing up the compass. Demagnetized get your phone would demagnetize both the unintentional magnets and the magnetic compass. Please don't do that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)