By TeamBlackOut, Member on 18th May 2013, 03:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th May 2018, 05:27 PM |#22601  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,547

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpeedZ

Can you say Touchwiz? Why does Samsung do half of what they do to screw up Android?

Nothing wrong with being thorough before flashing something that causes problems.

------------

You're right, but before flashing anything, making sure to: 1- make a nandroid backup and 2- and "undo" flashable zip is the normal approach to avoid 'screw ups' on any phone of any brand...

19th May 2018, 07:34 PM |#22602  
Flag Southwest USA
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [] AL []

You're right, but before flashing anything, making sure to: 1- make a nandroid backup and 2- and "undo" flashable zip is the normal approach to avoid 'screw ups' on any phone of any brand...

Backing up goes without saying. I'm not arguing that point. I'm a busy IT Manager - If I can eliminate the time it takes to even restoring a nandroid back-up by getting the maximum clarity on flashing a zip, then I'm way ahead of the 'downtime' it takes to restore that nandroid backup if I didn't get that clarification.

------------
21st May 2018, 05:20 AM |#22603  
Flag Southwest USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzamber

It Working on Any devices.

Flashed zip on a Moto G 3rd Generation. Broke the ability to download any app. Had to restore from a nandroid backup. This is why I ask all the questions I did about this working. It doesn't work - at least on a Moto G 3rd Generation.
21st May 2018, 01:28 PM |#22604  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,547

More
Quote:

Flashed zip on a Moto G 3rd Generation. Broke the ability to download any app. Had to restore from a nandroid backup. This is why I ask all the questions I did about this working. It doesn't work - at least on a Moto G 3rd Generation.

Yes, you probably spent more time writing questions/posts than the actual time a nand restoration takes...

I get your point of being more safe than sorry by asking questions first, but believe me that the Playstore relation to Google PlayServices/framework is a complicated one and often more risky than playing around with most of the default system apks. Someone can also tell you it should work on any phone, but forgets that the flashable zip's updater-script is not adapted for every rom/phone brand. I also knew from experience that losing download function was a possible by-product of all this and that there quite a few things that one can do try fix that. Things like: delete the G_Playstore's or G_playservices data/cache, simply reflash your Gapps package and other things (which skip my mind atm for not having played with that for a very long time) to find a way to force a reset/re-accept the PS 'terms of agreememts' (which is probably the cause of downloads not working)...

And lastly, if there would have been less writing and more reading, you would have also noticed my second point: 'make an "undo flashable zip" which would have been much faster (granted you have experience or are willing to search and learn how to make such a zip) to restore than a nandroid - busy IT guy or not....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [] AL [] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [] AL [] Ad-Free
21st May 2018, 05:05 PM |#22605  
Flag Southwest USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [] AL []

Yes, you probably spent more time writing questions/posts than the actual time a nand restoration takes...

I also knew from experience that losing download function was a possible by-product of all this and that there quite a few things that one can do try fix that. Things like: delete the G_Playstore's or G_playservices data/cache, simply reflash your Gapps package and other things (which skip my mind atm for not having played with that for a very long time) to find a way to force a reset/re-accept the PS 'terms of agreememts' (which is probably the cause of downloads not working)...

And lastly, if there would have been less writing and more reading, you would have also noticed my second point: 'make an "undo flashable zip" which would have been much faster (granted you have experience or are willing to search and learn how to make such a zip) to restore than a nandroid - busy IT guy or not....

Time spent on clarifying is worth it in big picture.

Seems you spent some time on your post as well. Fortunately, it wasn't completely void of helpful Google search words for future visitors to this thread.

I am familiar with making an 'undo flashable' zip, however, in this case it would of saved no time as the fix was to make Playstore a system app - which takes at least one reboot (sometimes two) to get everything working.

Moving on . . .

------------

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdarkknight96

Lol true, oh and they removed TW so I'm actually using an S9+ as my daily driver.

Interesting . . . . Was unaware that Samsung 'gave up' on TouchWiz. Might be worth looking into . . . .

------------
21st May 2018, 06:31 PM |#22606  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 1,722

More
Can someone try to download the tbo app from the op? I've tried and failed. Also went to tbo homepage. I can download apps in the resource page, just not the updater app. Thx
21st May 2018, 07:43 PM |#22607  
Flag Hell ( I've taken over and accepting reservations )
Thanks Meter: 7,725

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR

Can someone try to download the tbo app from the op? I've tried and failed. Also went to tbo homepage. I can download apps in the resource page, just not the updater app. Thx

Worked perfectly from the OP for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bubba Ad-Free
21st May 2018, 10:39 PM |#22608  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 13,012

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR

Try this mate...

TBO Updater
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daveyannihilation For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daveyannihilation Ad-Free
23rd May 2018, 10:39 AM |#22609  
Recognized Themer
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 45,167

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Time spent on clarifying is worth it in big picture.

Seems you spent some time on your post as well. Fortunately, it wasn't completely void of helpful Google search words for future visitors to this thread.

I am familiar with making an 'undo flashable' zip, however, in this case it would of saved no time as the fix was to make Playstore a system app - which takes at least one reboot (sometimes two) to get everything working.

Moving on . . .

------------

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Interesting . . . . Was unaware that Samsung 'gave up' on TouchWiz. Might be worth looking into . . . .

------------

Yep it's gone bye bye
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180521-115951_Settings.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	4507933  
The Following User Says Thank You to djdarkknight96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djdarkknight96 Ad-Free
24th May 2018, 12:32 PM |#22610  
Flag Gurgaon
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdarkknight96

Yep it's gone bye bye

How to get this cool navigation bar??
24th May 2018, 12:49 PM |#22611  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 4,251