Eonon GA2170

Search This thread

abbots

Apr 26, 2011
Sydney
It's not a full SMS app, you can not start it yourself, you cannot access existing SMS, if you receive SMS whilst in the car, it offers to read it out, it is on bottom status bar for short time, also, it has 3 canned replies, one or two include %ETA%.
I've noticed today Tom Tom app on my radio unit offers to share ETA, but, as PDF....

abbots

Apr 26, 2011
Sydney
I;ve noticed there is a Tyre Pressure Monitor option in factory settings, any uses such TPMS, which one?

rvcullen

Oct 11, 2013
Eonon heatsink and FW question

Hi all,
Just got the GA2170 head-unit the other day and already love this thing, aside from the daylight screen washout a bit. Seems to work pretty nicely, but still had to mess with it, as I am a tinkerer. I attached some pics of a heat-sink mod I did, wish i took more but general idea is there.
The super thin and crappy heat-spreader on the PX5 is awful and ran high in temps with only a few minutes running, so i can imagine in the car is much worse. Some chip temps were 160 F?!
Anyway,I took off the module and unscrewed the heat-sink. Only had the small thermal patch on it to the pX5, so I added a better material with some thermal compound and also dabbed some on the memory chips to help (though they don't really touch the heat spreader, but at least a little extra help).
I then sanded the top of the heats-spreader as smooth as I could make it, so the transfer of heat to the new heat-sink is better.
I then screwed a 12 volt small ball-bearing fan on top and connected the fan to the 9 volt regulator on the board. This way the fan does not run fast enough to wear fast and also is not even audible when installed.
I chose not to make extra holes in the case of the unit, but it has enough smaller holes to help for now. I'll see how it goes.
photos.app.goo.gl/w9KdDgnF8KjPhzix2

Last edited:
Reactions: expo1122 and eonon
May 26, 2018
Yeah, I already wrote that I tried that. Factory reset and wiping cache does nothing to stop the boot loop.

Hi ,I had the same, the main buton has stuck in press position, every time you start it is in loop boot , take the knob out and place it back gently, if you press you should fill a contact switch, if you fill nothing it is blocked. Good lock !

lagos911

Jan 25, 2009
Hi all,
Just got the GA2170 head-unit the other day and already love this thing, aside from the daylight screen washout a bit. Seems to work pretty nicely, but still had to mess with it, as I am a tinkerer. I attached some pics of a heat-sink mod I did, wish i took more but general idea is there.
The super thin and crappy heat-spreader on the PX5 is awful and ran high in temps with only a few minutes running, so i can imagine in the car is much worse. Some chip temps were 160 F?!
Anyway,I took off the module and unscrewed the heat-sink. Only had the small thermal patch on it to the pX5, so I added a better material with some thermal compound and also dabbed some on the memory chips to help (though they don't really touch the heat spreader, but at least a little extra help).
I then sanded the top of the heats-spreader as smooth as I could make it, so the transfer of heat to the new heat-sink is better.
I then screwed a 12 volt small ball-bearing fan on top and connected the fan to the 9 volt regulator on the board. This way the fan does not run fast enough to wear fast and also is not even audible when installed.
I chose not to make extra holes in the case of the unit, but it has enough smaller holes to help for now. I'll see how it goes.

Great job with the cooler. I was thinking to replace the wifi antenna with an external wifi antenna via pigtail output connector. But as I can see at your photos the wifi antenna connected to the unit board just like this. OMG. China FTW.

Mpg44

May 30, 2018
Anyone else have this HU?
Uses the RK-PX5 octocore 1.6ghz processor.
Android 8.0 Oreo, 4G RAM, Octa-core & 32G ROM, Split Screen and PIP Multitasking
Had mine for about a month, and really like it

I have on , I like it too . Had anyone found a way to control the ringer volume and or tiring it off for when getting a call ?

capo76

Mar 26, 2018
I have on , I like it too . Had anyone found a way to control the ringer volume and or tiring it off for when getting a call ?
I think you must take the ring file and lower the volume with an external program.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Is it the Version with "Hi-Link"? Did you install a App?

Greets
Mike

It works without external app or root

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Hi all,
...]

Hi. Do you have found som problem with malaysk installation?
Is this one better od the original rom?

rvcullen

Oct 11, 2013
I think you must take the ring file and lower the volume with an external program.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

It works without external app or root

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Hi. Do you have found som problem with malaysk installation?
Is this one better od the original rom?

The Malay ROM works great, have not had any issue so far, and a lot of things work much smoother as well, such as the bluetooth pairing. Only app that does not work is "DVR" which won't see the front (AVIN) camera. I tried a few 3rd party apps, but nothing seems to use that input for DVR purpose. Love the themes and new apps too. WAY BETTER than stock!

eonon

Mar 22, 2018
Hi all,
The super thin and crappy heat-spreader on the PX5 is awful and ran high in temps with only a few .................................p.goo.gl/w9KdDgnF8KjPhzix2"]photos.app.goo.gl/w9KdDgnF8KjPhzix2[/URL]

Hi, thanks Man, great ideas, and bold act, cheers, I agreed with what you siad, but dislike of putting a fan there, it's not fun to have a fan. could you add extra thicker heat sinks, passive fanless.
regarding the screen, what's model of that, can you have any cracks to increase its brightness, and possisble of adjust contrast as weak, but i believe the factory already increased the contrast to its maxium and the brightness as well, there is little room to improve, I really dislike the HU, I attempted to get ride of for $200 plus a mint conditioned free 37-39 LCD HD TV, and could't, I can't return it either, the custome service ignored me.
2, what's the wi-fi module it has, it really sucks, is there a way to change it as well?
The HU is very buggy, I still have't remove the factory screen protector, do you really love this unit? I was very impressed. I tried to love it, but failed, the idea is great but the product is no faltering:crying:.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Hello, I can confirm the bad quality of screen brightness at GA2170. They provide screen protector which is able to make it better but I no doubt about that. In my country the most of the days are sunny and that make the unit pretty useless. Imagine if you are trying to get directions for a location... I think this is the reason why eonon have the most cheap units. My friend get some days later a noname unit from aliexpress for his car with same chipset ram etc and the screen quality was so much better than eonon. Plus that my friend car glasses dont have sunshade (I have install at my car have sunshade). And I am pretty sure that any firmware or software update will make it better. This is a hardware issue. What ever.

Thanks, totally agreed!, screen sucks, I tried to return after I powered it the day after, but customer service ignored me, then I tired to re-sell it for $200, but failed, it's headache , I wish I bough a larger android phone ( or as you said a tablet) as alternative , big mistake. plus I can't flush fit on a double din frame,:rolleyes:

lagos911

Jan 25, 2009
I try to return it back as well. They confirm I can send it back and request to give them the the shipping tracking number. But the shipping cost from europe to hong kong is 200 euros. And I buy the unit it for 250 euros. So its a trap. Becareful guys.

Reactions: eonon

eonon

Mar 22, 2018
Thank you for the info

I try to return it back as well. They confirm I can send it back and request to give them the the shipping tracking number. But the shipping cost from europe to hong kong is 200 euros. And I buy the unit it for 250 euros. So its a trap. Becareful guys.
agreed, and had the same feeling.
:good:

abbots

Apr 26, 2011
Sydney
some of my phone numbers/names are mixed up, how can I delete and re create phone book on 2170?

puiatmp

Services dont run

I'm having some issues with the Android services. I installed an application (radardroid) and would like it to run at the boot of the multimedia center (using its own service), but the central one does not seem to allow services to start and continue to run in the background.

I tried to install another application, Sony Smart Connect, and create a profile to run the loaded radardroid (I can not find the Bluetooth device to perform the action) and same thing. The application does not work alone at the beginning and nothing happens.

Any suggestion ???

Greetings.

Last edited:

lagos911

Jan 25, 2009
I had the same thing. Also if you try to start google maps and some others google applications you will get some errors. I dont know why but some third party applications make some damage to the google services and applications. Hard reset the unit and u will be fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Eonon heatsink and FW question

Hi all,
    Anyone else have this HU?
    Uses the RK-PX5 octocore 1.6ghz processor.
    Android 8.0 Oreo, 4G RAM, Octa-core & 32G ROM, Split Screen and PIP Multitasking
    Had mine for about a month, and really like it
    Thinking to get it. I currently have GA2162. Just wondering how quick wifi signals are on it? Considering it has no external wifi antenna like GA2162.
    I was concerned about that as well. Seems to pick up WiFi just as good as my GA2160 did. All the Xfinity wifi going down the road it grabs. Much more responsive as well.
    I have the same problem when i connect a wifi dongle and the digital radio adapter on usb. The usb port restart. I think it is a power problem.
    I want to try to use an usb hub with external power at 12v to try this