13th June 2018, 06:19 AM |#18061  
Retired Senior Moderator / Mod. Cttee. Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 20,632

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1601

Fine, I respect that.

I've just read the features request on Nova's Google plus community.

Q. Please add the pixel style Google feed.
A. Please contact Google.
That's nothing to do with nova.

Q. Please add at a glance widget.
A. Nova can't add that as it doesn't have the correct APIs from Google for it to work.

Q. Please add Android P style dock.
A. Please read the pinned post, you must not request android P features.

Q. Please add the Google search bar in app draw
A. That's not something nova feels the need to add at this time.

Ok, so you don't like lawn chair.
I respect that.
I have used nova for over 5 years as a loyal paying customer but answer me why does nova lie to its users like this and tell them thet their request is not technically possible or they simply won't add any such feature?
Yet along comes every other fresher and newer current launcher that adds those features without any hassle?

And I'm not a me to person, I'm a very loyal nova user that's very concerned about Nova's lack of recent developments.
The other launchers have had recent updates or new features added.
Nova has promised huge updates for close to a year now and I've seen nothing.
If you think that's being entitled, fine, think that, but that's the sort of answer I'm used to seeing from Nova's own obnoxious rude and agressive G+ community staff, not in a much friendlier place like this.
And comments like yours are why I'm complaining.
Nova does not like a few home truths and throws it's rattle our of the pram when its users say something is better, just like you just have.
And that's the problem, complacency and conceitedness.

Well to be honest this has never been a Nice place persay. The the only thing that has changed over the years are the users. (Well and managements handling of it.)

Nova has always prided itself on being its own launcher and not like all the others. They also dont add every feature just because. Sure a bunch of other launchers add them but if you are gonna use an app for a feature that they copied from another app, then you might as well use the other app anyway.

Many of the answers are old. And to be honest those features are not as wanted as many think. To be honest, all of those you listed I am happy that it doesnt have.

Comments like mine are very blunt. Yes. But that is the way of the world.

You have seen nothing? Hmm guess you missed the huge deal they made with an OEM. Also remember. Sure we paid for it but that was how much? How long ago? You dont want the plain business truth of that.

People are soo hung up on updates. The FOMO is so rampant in the mobile community that it really is killing individuality. That is Nova major claim. That they are not like other launchers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free

13th June 2018, 08:10 AM |#18062  
Thanks Meter: 648

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel

Well to be honest this has never been a Nice place persay. The the only thing that has changed over the years are the users. (Well and managements handling of it.)

Nova has always prided itself on being its own launcher and not like all the others. They also dont add every feature just because. Sure a bunch of other launchers add them but if you are gonna use an app for a feature that they copied from another app, then you might as well use the other app anyway.

Many of the answers are old. And to be honest those features are not as wanted as many think. To be honest, all of those you listed I am happy that it doesnt have.

Comments like mine are very blunt. Yes. But that is the way of the world.

You have seen nothing? Hmm guess you missed the huge deal they made with an OEM. Also remember. Sure we paid for it but that was how much? How long ago? You dont want the plain business truth of that.

People are soo hung up on updates. The FOMO is so rampant in the mobile community that it really is killing individuality. That is Nova major claim. That they are not like other launchers.

Those points are very true and very well known, but
That's not the point I made..... but it's still a valid point none the less.

I know paying for nova prime doesn't entitle me to anything.
I'm not asking for anything.
I'm trying to make a point that nova themselves are saying they going to update folders, and various other stuff, and it hasn't happened.
I don't care if nova adds that stuff I listed and i dont want that stuff.
If nova explained they won't add new stuff because they simply don't want too, I would feel more comfortable about that decision.

If I was representing an app and a company like nova and Tesla coil, I wouldn't dare answer such questions with a comment like you made.
I would try my best to offer a reasonable explanation of those fears and try my best to keep that user as a nova user.

If long term users are walking away, surely nova should try to keep those once loyal and long term users?

I do really thank you for taking the time to address my concerns but lets be honest, all you did was confirmed my real fears - Nova doesn't give a stuff about their users and would rather tell a user to clear off and make their own launcher or be blunt and dismissive rather than give a reasonable explanation.
That makes such perfect business sence!

Why don't you contact Cliff Wade, Nova's customer support manager?
You will make a great G+ moderator answering users concerns the way you have.
Just confirm to them nova that has lost another once loyal and long term user who's sick of getting fobbed of with lies and dismissive answers to genuine concerns.

Regards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubba1601 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubba1601 Ad-Free
13th June 2018, 03:05 PM |#18063  

More
Quote:

Those points are very true and very well known, but
That's not the point I made..... but it's still a valid point none the less.

I know paying for nova prime doesn't entitle me to anything.
I'm not asking for anything.
I'm trying to make a point that nova themselves are saying they going to update folders, and various other stuff, and it hasn't happened.
I don't care if nova adds that stuff I listed and i dont want that stuff.
If nova explained they won't add new stuff because they simply don't want too, I would feel more comfortable about that decision.

If I was representing an app and a company like nova and Tesla coil, I wouldn't dare answer such questions with a comment like you made.
I would try my best to offer a reasonable explanation of those fears and try my best to keep that user as a nova user.

If long term users are walking away, surely nova should try to keep those once loyal and long term users?

I do really thank you for taking the time to address my concerns but lets be honest, all you did was confirmed my real fears - Nova doesn't give a stuff about their users and would rather tell a user to clear off and make their own launcher or be blunt and dismissive rather than give a reasonable explanation.
That makes such perfect business sence!

Why don't you contact Cliff Wade, Nova's customer support manager?
You will make a great G+ moderator answering users concerns the way you have.
Jjust confirm to them nova that has lost another once loyal and long term user who's sick of getting fobbed of with lies and dismissive answers to genuine concerns.

Regards.

To me to be honest I couldn't care less what the app does. I have not even updated it in a couple of years as there is no really point. It does what it is supposed to do and all the new options are just thing for children to play with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
13th June 2018, 06:10 PM |#18064  

More
Quote:

To me to be honest I couldn't care less what the app does. I have not even updated it in a couple of years as there is no really point. It does what it is supposed to do and all the new options are just thing for children to play with.

Thank you, and I don't really care what you think if I'm honest.
Whether you think those features lawn chair added are stupid
Or
whether you use the newer features of nova
(or not)
or
If you think people that request the newer features are really children is totally irrelevant.
Doesn't mean anything, I really don't care about that.
you called me out over a totally reasonable post saying lawn chair had added some new features that had been continuously requested on Nova's G+ community and nova said those things couldn't be added.
Why didn't they just say they won't?
Or they don't want to?
What is so difficult or bad about Cliff or Kevin Barry saying look, we've considered this this and this and do you know what?
It's not something we feel will be of benefit to us or our users..
I would respect an answer like that to those requests.
There is too much arrogance and too much BS with nova right now, and do I really want to carry on using a launcher if their development team/customer service manager and any other representative suggests if I'm not happy to clear off and use something else?
That's not the first time nova have said that to a user and I think one day they will say it to the wrong person and have a very big problem on their hands
People who spend 50p or £5 on nova Prime to support Kevin Barry and Nova's development won't tolerate being spoken to by arrogant thugs who think users who suggest nova is out dated are "stupid' or certain features are used by children.

Everyone always looks to nova as it's usually at the forefront of new features or designs, and it's not at the moment.
There are several much fresher, better, easier to use and nicer launchers than nova currently available, and that's a concern to me.
I don't want to use nova right now because I'm using the Official pixel launcher.
Everything works without the drama or b-s of nova.....

If I didn't know any better I would swear you are one on Nova's G+ representatives because you've used their words in your comments and dismissed my own concerns and replies just like they do.

So I look forward to seeing you deleting my post on G+ with the usual arrogance /sarcastic comments and BS when I post my concerns to Nova themselves.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bubba1601 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubba1601 Ad-Free
13th June 2018, 06:23 PM |#18065  

More
Quote:

Thank you, and I don't really care what you think, whether you think those features lawn chair added are stupid, whether you use the newer features or not or if you think children need the newer features is totally irrelevant, you called me out ovet a totally reasonable post saying lawn chair had added some new features nova said couldn't be added.

So all you have done is completely dismiss and ridicule my concerns about Nova's current state of development.
It's perfectly acceptable to raise these concerns, as nova isn't telling anyone what is going on apart from they won't announce upcoming features before they are released, then Cliff Wade tells everyone that nova is updating folders some 14. Months ago, now they are asking people not to request android P stuff.

Everyone always looks to nova as it's usually at the forefront of new features or designs, and it's not at the moment.
There are several much fresher, better, easier to use and nicer launchers than nova currently available, and that's a concern to me.
I don't want to use nova right now because I'm using the Official pixel launcher.
Everything works without the drama or b-s of nova.....

If I didn't know any better I would swear you are one on Nova's G+ representatives because you've used their words and dismissed my own concerns just like they do.

So I look forward to seeing you removing my post on G+ when I post my concerns to Nova themselves.

See here is the thing. They don't have to tell you anything. They are not obligated to say anything.

That is because the developer of nova and I come from the same type of developers. We both started right here along with many other of the app developers that don't reply to people and do their own thing.

Again you want nova to follow other launchers and this is not what nova is about.

See here is the thing. You can either use it or not. Either way it doesn't really matter and that is also something the dev and I share.

Leave the easier to use launchers for those that need easy. It's an app that serves a purpose. Nothing more.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
14th June 2018, 03:28 AM |#18066  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 18,867

More
Quote:

See here is the thing. They don't have to tell you anything. They are not obligated to say anything.

That is because the developer of nova and I come from the same type of developers. We both started right here along with many other of the app developers that don't reply to people and do their own thing.

Again you want nova to follow other launchers and this is not what nova is about.

See here is the thing. You can either use it or not. Either way it doesn't really matter and that is also something the dev and I share.

Leave the easier to use launchers for those that need easy. It's an app that serves a purpose. Nothing more.

I agree with you, devs owe users absolutely nothing. Even if you buy an app it doesn't entitle you to expect updates or features, or requests to be filled. You bought the app for what it already has in it, everything after is extra whipped cream on top. I do have to say Kevin is a dick and always has been, but it is his app and he can do whatever he wants with it.
14th June 2018, 08:12 AM |#18067  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebear j koss

I agree with you, devs owe users absolutely nothing. Even if you buy an app it doesn't entitle you to expect updates or features, or requests to be filled. You bought the app for what it already has in it, everything after is extra whipped cream on top. I do have to say Kevin is a dick and always has been, but it is his app and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Whereas I would say you of course don't owe anyone anything if you are doing something for yourself and just sharing the code for anyone who wants to use it.

But once you turn that into a business where you are making money off of people in exchange for a "product", then people have every right to be unhappy if the product quality is poor or uncompetitive. Especially if the vendor refuses to give refunds to dissatisfied customers.

And if the vendor continues to treat paying customers as some kind of burden, they should expect their revenue stream to eventually dwindle to nothing.
14th June 2018, 10:43 AM |#18068  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 18,867

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exabyter

Whereas I would say you of course don't owe anyone anything if you are doing something for yourself and just sharing the code for anyone who wants to use it.

But once you turn that into a business where you are making money off of people in exchange for a "product", then people have every right to be unhappy if the product quality is poor or uncompetitive. Especially if the vendor refuses to give refunds to dissatisfied customers.

And if the vendor continues to treat paying customers as some kind of burden, they should expect their revenue stream to eventually dwindle to nothing.

He already made his millions and will make millions more. I was on here when Kevin used to actually use this thread, he could care less what anyone wanted. I watched this thread get shut down and cleaned more than any other. And no the dev owes you nothing. If you buy a 2019 Ford Mustang Cobra today and tomorrow Ford comes out with the Mustang Super Cobra, does Ford owe you the Super upgrade? You pay for the app at the point you bought it, that is it. Unfortunately users now believe the 99¢ they pay for an app gives them a lifetime of support and upgrades. Many great devs have left because of user entitlement and nonsense, others just don't bother to listen anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thebear j koss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thebear j koss Ad-Free
14th June 2018, 03:14 PM |#18069  

More
[QUOTE=Thebear j koss;76812263]He already made his millions and will make millions more. I was on here when Kevin used to actually use this thread, he could care less what anyone wanted. I watched this thread get shut down and cleaned more than any other. And no the dev owes you nothing. If you buy a 2019 Ford Mustang Cobra today and tomorrow Ford comes out with the Mustang Super Cobra, does Ford owe you the Super upgrade? You pay for the app at the point you bought it, that is it. Unfortunately users now believe the 99¢ they pay for an app gives them a lifetime of support and upgrades. Many great devs have left because of user entitlement and nonsense, others just don't bother to listen anymore.[/QUOTEl
14th June 2018, 03:22 PM |#18070  

More
Quote:

He already made his millions and will make millions more. I was on here when Kevin used to actually use this thread, he could care less what anyone wanted. I watched this thread get shut down and cleaned more than any other. And no the dev owes you nothing. If you buy a 2019 Ford Mustang Cobra today and tomorrow Ford comes out with the Mustang Super Cobra, does Ford owe you the Super upgrade? You pay for the app at the point you bought it, that is it. Unfortunately users now believe the 99¢ they pay for an app gives them a lifetime of support and upgrades. Many great devs have left because of user entitlement and nonsense, others just don't bother to listen anymore.

Exactly. Many seem to think they are entitled to something. When you buy an app you get it as is with no promises of anything after that. But this is something the newer generation seems to have forgotten. They will learn that in the end, what they want means less then nothing to anyone other then themselves.

I know many great devs have left and many more are now only sharing their work with private groups. Hell there are 12 roms and apps that I know off that will not share their work here and it is by invite only. But that is what android has come to. A shame really as the roms are badass and the apps are no joke.

You are right. He is a dick but then again so are most devs as most developers are anti social to begin with lol. That is why they became developers lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
14th June 2018, 07:50 PM |#18071  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:

If you buy a 2019 Ford Mustang Cobra today and tomorrow Ford comes out with the Mustang Super Cobra, does Ford owe you the Super upgrade?

Of course not, it's an invalid analogy. The car costs 12,000 times more than the app, and the majority of that price is comprised of per-unit material, production and logistics costs that don't exist with a mobile app.

Quote:

You pay for the app at the point you bought it, that is it. Unfortunately users now believe the 99¢ they pay for an app gives them a lifetime of support and upgrades.

Actually in most places in countries which have a developed economy, any business that sells products to buyers - at any price - have a variety of legal obligations to those buyers. If someone wants to make money selling something, they absolutely have obligations to buyers. (Which may or may not include support or refunds to customers who discover the product does not work as advertised.)

If software developers don't like that, they should stick with freeware or just ask for voluntary donations, rather than products which can only be obtained with a purchase.

Quote:

Many great devs have left because of user entitlement and nonsense, others just don't bother to listen anymore.

Entitlement is a problem all over society, not just for mobile app purchasers. Android also has a much bigger problem with this than eg iOS, because the Android ecosystem that Google built has grown to a dominant position largely through being promoted as the low (out-of-pocket) cost alternative. Developers know this going in.

Quote:

Many seem to think they are entitled to something.

They are entitled to some things, see above. It depends on the jurisdiction they live in. Perhaps not "can I have feature X", but if an app corrupts the data on one's phone, for example, or does not work as advertised, developers may at the very least be required to refund the purchase price.

Quote:

When you buy an app you get it as is with no promises of anything after that. But this is something the newer generation seems to have forgotten.

Actually software EULAs and miles of legally-questionable disclamers that are added to most software licenses and T's and C's these days are a very recent "innovation", and many of those terms don't hold up in court when challenged. The vendors know this. The primary function of that boilerplate is to scare off the less tenacious parties that got stuck with a junk product, which oftentimes has known bugs but is shipped anyway.

As software becomes more and more crucial to people's lives, I believe we will start to see even stronger legal obligations on vendors. We are seeing an example of this now in Europe, with the GDPR. (Which, as many suspected, is now having a global impact. Microsoft for example recently announced that these new data protection measures they have been forced to implement for European customers will now apply to ALL their customers, anywhere in the world.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exabyter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Exabyter Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ice cream sandwich, ics, launcher, nova, nova launcher, nova-launcher

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)