[GUIDE] Rooting your Essential PH-1

Search This thread

bmg1001

Mar 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
I have substratum theme running, which I assume would not work on P until the theme supports it. So I think I will stay on 8.1. just dont want to be in 8.1 Beta anymore.

Depends on the theme. Most themes for system elements will not work on P, except for a select few that only change small things like the system accents. Themes for third party apps will work fine, though.

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Depends on the theme. Most themes for system elements will not work on P, except for a select few that only change small things like the system accents. Themes for third party apps will work fine, though.

Yea. Mostly system apps. Its a paid theme so I am sure they will eventually have support.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Do i flash the stock 8.1 Beta boot image onto my phone, reboot, take the OTA and then Use magisk installer to install magisk, it should ask me to patch the boot image?
I can patch the image, save to the cloud/computer and then flash the patched boot image via fastboot and regain root?
Or am I missing something?

mhajii210

Sep 19, 2011
Android P beta 1 and root

so I've done it 6 times now all with that same results the only difference is the length of time it takes to lose root. I was able to stay rooted for a couple hours the last time. By the way flashing the magisk zip doesn't install magisk manager.

Guys I'm having the same problem. I've already rebooted numerous times and at first I have root, but after some time it's lost until I reboot. Any solution to this???

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Credit to tech_head from post# 787 and the OP of this thread. For anyone that missed it or wanted to see if that method still works, it does.
This allows you to skip twrp and lets you keep all your magisk modules and keep all your data.
Not sure if it matters, but remove substratum themes before doing any of this, reapply after all steps are finished.
I have done it with security/fingerprints on and substratum themes applied and it still worked without data loss or other issues, but as a precaution might as well disable both.

1) download the stock boot image file for the whatever version of android you have currently have here <- Credit to bmg1001
2) put it in you adb folder and open a cmd window from that folder (ctrl+shift and right click then select cmd window)
3) Connect device, type "adb devices" in the cmd window to make sure the device is there
4) type "adb reboot bootloader"
5) type "fastboot flash boot <path to the boot image you downloaded earlier>"
6) type "fastboot reboot", your phone should reboot and no longer have root
7) take the OTA update
8) download the boot image for the current version you updated to from same link above and transfer it to your phone if needed
9) on your phone open magisk manager or magisk installer , it should ask you install magisk then select patch boot image
10) transfer that patched boot image to your computer (you can put it the adb folder if you'd like)
11) with phone connect to pc, type in the cmd window from before "adb reboot bootload" then "fastboot flash boot <path to the patched boot image>"
12) this should flash the "rooted" boot image, type "fastboot reboot", your phone will reboot and should now be rooted.

Your magisk modules should still be there and all your data should be good.

Last edited:

dirtyreturn

Aug 14, 2011
Nexus 7
Huawei Nexus 6P
Hi, I just received my essential yesterday and I'm not sure just what to do to unlock the bootloader. My device , when in fastboot gets a no permission check use rules notification after any fastboot command.
It is recognized when booted into Android using adb.

Has there been any instances you can recall where, even when oem unlock is enabled that fastboot commands don't work?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

NaterTots

Feb 7, 2012
CT
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 7T
Hi, I just received my essential yesterday and I'm not sure just what to do to unlock the bootloader. My device , when in fastboot gets a no permission check use rules notification after any fastboot command.

Has there been any instances you can recall where, even when oem unlock is enabled that fastboot commands don't work?

Nope not that I recall.

It sounds like you have an issues with your UDEV rules.
It is also possible it's the cable your using. You don't want to use the cable that essential provides as it is known to brick devices.

Reactions: dirtyreturn

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor

Did you install essentials phone drivers?

dirtyreturn

Aug 14, 2011
Nexus 7
Huawei Nexus 6P
Nope not that I recall.

It sounds like you have an issues with your UDEV rules.
It is also possible it's the cable your using. You don't want to use the cable that essential provides as it is known to brick devices.
What are UDEV rules?? The cable I used is the data transfer cable from the Nexus 6p -- adb commands work like they should.. I do have some other type c cables around.. And thanks for the heads up with the provided cable
Did you install essentials phone drivers?
Are the essentials phone drivers required when running Ubuntu?

IH8TouchWiz

Nov 16, 2017
What are UDEV rules?? The cable I used is the data transfer cable from the Nexus 6p -- adb commands work like they should.. I do have some other type c cables around.. And thanks for the heads up with the provided cableAre the essentials phone drivers required when running Ubuntu?
You don't need drivers if you're using Ubuntu, just make sure you have a working adb and fastboot environment and use this link to set up udev rules: https://github.com/invisiblek/udevrules .

mobileman88

Oct 27, 2008
What are you doing? Trying to run P beta and root?

I have had issue rooting the P beta. I tried to run Magisk 16.4 using Magisk Manager to perform a root of the device. I pointed Magisk Manager to the P B1's boot image file, but all I kept getting is the following in the screen that pops up after 16.4 is downloaded :

===
Flashing
- Device platform: arm64-v8a
- Extracting files
- Boot image is signed with AVB 1.0
failed:
! Installation failed

===

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
I have had issue rooting the P beta. I tried to run Magisk 16.4 using Magisk Manager to perform a root of the device. I pointed Magisk Manager to the P B1's boot image file, but all I kept getting is the following in the screen that pops up after 16.4 is downloaded :

===
Flashing
- Device platform: arm64-v8a
- Extracting files
- Boot image is signed with AVB 1.0
failed:
! Installation failed

===

Ok.

Flash twrp from fastboot
In twrp, flash the stock boot.img (you need to get rid of twrp)
Optional *flash custom kernel* EX or the one from discord
Flash magisk 16.4 beta
Reboot

mobileman88

Oct 27, 2008
Ok.

Flash twrp from fastboot
Flash magisk 16.4 beta
Reboot
Thanks for the quick reply. Previously for rooting 8 and 8.1,i could boot into stock kernel, install Magisk manager and patch a copy of the boot image which I copied in. 9 requires twrp?

mhajii210

Sep 19, 2011
Android P beta 1 and root

Ok.

Flash twrp from fastboot
Flash magisk 16.4 beta
Reboot
The problem is I lose root after some time and I have to reboot to get it back. I flashed twrp via fastboot, flashed boot image, then flashed Magisk 16.4. Anyone successful in getting root to stick on Android P beta 1???

NaterTots

Feb 7, 2012
CT
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 7T
The problem is I lose root after some time and I have to reboot to get it back. I flashed twrp via fastboot, flashed boot image, then flashed Magisk 16.4. Anyone successful in getting root to stick on Android P beta 1???

I'm on build .022 and have no problem with root.
I did have to install magisk via twrp though as going through the magisk app wouldn't work.

So I did twrp, boot.img, magisk 16.4 then rebooted.

It's been a week now with no issues

Reactions: aer0zer0

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
@NaterTots and I seem to be just fine without issue.

So to recap

1. Flash twrp in bootloader
2. Boot to twrp
3. Copy stock boot image over to phone.
4. Flash stock boot.image in twrp (this will overwrite twrp, because your phone WONT boot with twrp on it)
5. (OPTIONAL) if you want a custom kernel (EX or the one from discord group) flash it in twrp.
6. Flash magisk in twrp (I'm using 16.4 beta ATM, but there are custom builds that work too)
7. reboot

If you don't have magisk manager after reboot. Get the manager out of the /common folder inside the magisk zip you flashed.

Good luck.

tech_head

No issues.
I installed via twrp.
I'm running the P-Beta with ElementalX kernel and Magisk 16.4.

Reactions: aer0zer0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: Before attempting to root your device, do note that by unlocking your bootloader and modifying your device with root, ROMs, etc... you are risking voiding your warranty! I am NOT responsible for what you do to your device either, so follow these instructions at your own risk. Make sure you know what you're doing, it's best to understand the process rather than just copy and paste commands and such.

Useful and important general information can be found in the second post here.

NOTES

1. If you flash the TWRP Installer when you've already got Magisk installed, your device will keep booting to the recovery. You should be able to fix this by just simply reflashing Magisk.

2. If you have TWRP installed via the TWRP Installer, you will not be able to install stock OTA updates. You will have to reflash the stock boot image for whatever build you're running beforehand.

3. The prebuilt TWRP image may not have touch functionality if you're using the September 2018 Update or newer. Patching the boot image, however, for these builds with the TWRP Installer will allow touch to work flawlessly. Here is a pre-patched September 2018 Boot Image with TWRP. It should also work with builds newer than September. Since it's based off the September 2018 update, I suggest not using this as your main boot image but rather just as a replacement for the pre-built TWRP image from the official TWRP thread.

4. Simple "flash and forget" boot images pre-patched with Magisk and TWRP are provided by @aer0zer0 and are available here. They are based on ianmacd's variant of Magisk. If you are running stock, you can flash these boot images to get root and TWRP instead of following the guide to patch it yourself. Here is January's.

If you don't care about TWRP and simply want to just root your device, you can just simply patch the boot image for your ROM with the Magisk Manager and flash it in fastboot with
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    The link to the boot images for most stock builds can be grabbed from my Google Drive link in the second post or from the back-to-stock zips.

REQUIREMENTS
    An unlocked bootloader
    Working adb and fastboot environment, along with knowledge on how they work.
    The latest build of TWRP along with the TWRP Installer. Read Note 3 above beforehand.

1. Download the latest build of TWRP and the TWRP Installer. Transfer the TWRP Installer zip to your device.

2. Reboot your phone into fastboot. Once in fastboot, change your device's current slot using the command
    Code:
    fastboot set_active other
    If the command above doesn't work for you, use fastboot getvar current-slot followed by fastboot -aX, replacing "X" with the slot opposite (a or b) from your current slot.

3. Once your device's current slot has been switched, flash the TWRP image you downloaded earlier using the command
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot twrp.img
    Depending on your version of fastboot, the above command might not work either. In that case, you can enter the following command, replacing "X" with your current slot (a or b).
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_X twrp.img

4. Once TWRP has been flashed, boot into the recovery.

5. Once you have booted into TWRP, simply flash the TWRP Installer zip.

6. Once you have finished flashing the TWRP Installer zip, boot to recovery on the OPPOSITE slot. You can do this from TWRP by going to "Reboot", then selecting the opposite of the current slot (if on A, select Slot B. If on B, select Slot A), then select "Recovery." You can also do this through fastboot by running the same command from step 2.

7. Once you have booted back into TWRP, simply flash the Magisk zip and you are now good to go! Feel free to flash anything else like kernels while you're at it.

8. Reboot. :good:

NOTE: TWRP WILL remain installed on your device so long as you reflash the installer zip after every update.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603865614

December patched boot.img (stock, TWRP, ianmacd 1203 17.4 magisk

Enjoy :)
    Important Information for the Essential PH-1 can be found here. Keep it bookmarked.

Tips on updating via OTA after rooting can be found here.

In the case that you mess something up on your device, you may find it helpful to revert back to stock with the unofficial factory images graciously provided by @invisiblek and @aer0zer0 over here.

Official TWRP XDA Thread for the Essential PH-1

Join the Essential PH-1 Discord Server! -- Lots of cool people here!

Join the Essential PH-1 Development Telegram Channel!

Stock Boot Images for most builds can be found at my Google Drive link here.

Have a Red Verity Warning when booting your device? Click here.
    If the link to the boot.fix.red image isn't working, you can also find it here or in my Google Drive link in the first post.

Essential Phone (PH-1) Partition Layout

Dumping Boot Images

1. Find the current slot with
    Code:
    fastboot getvar current-slot
    or
    Code:
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
    2. Switch to the opposite slot in Fastboot using the command
    Code:
    fastboot set_active other
    3. Flash TWRP using the command
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot twrp.img
    4. Now, boot into TWRP and use the following command from your PC, replacing X in "boot_X" with the original slot from step 1 (a or b). TRIPLE CHECK:
    Code:
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_X of=/sdcard/boot.img
    5. Profit! Don't forget to switch back to the original partition with the same command from step 2!

extractTarFork() error when restoring data from a TWRP backup

1. Reinstall the ROM from which the backup is based on.
    2. Wipe your data. You can do this from the recovery or from fastboot using the command
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    3. Boot into the ROM. When going through the initial setup, use the EXACT same security setup as the one from your backup. For example, if you used a Fingerprint + Password in the backed up ROM, use the exact same combo along with the exact same password as well. There is no need to set up anything else, like accounts.
    4. Flash, install, and reboot into TWRP. You should now be able to restore the data backup without any issues.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410932744536995931

nov_patched_twrp_magisk_stock boot.img is up

Enjoy:)