By jomeister15, Senior Member on 24th March 2012, 06:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th June 2012, 03:11 PM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidyman007

Hello All

I'm a new memeber to this forum as I just joined today. I'm glad to see someone working on a custom ROM for our device. I'm beginning to learn the about flashing and CWM Recovery as I'm reading through previous posts. However, I've read somewhere Samsung will have an official update to ICS for the SGH-I957 model.

What advantage will a custom ROM have over the official release at the moment? It seems there maybe alot of things to work out before a home cooked ROM can be released. Will the custom ROM be coming out sooner than the official release from Samsung?

there are currently two custom roms out. these are usually debloated and tweaked. not sure when official ICS will come, guessing end of july

12th June 2012, 12:01 AM |#52  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 215

More
Logcat shows this thing does init (as in the kernel starts to load) but it bombs out trying to mount partitions and the kernel panics.

A look at device/qcom/msm8660_surf/BoardConfig.mk (as grabbed from the git repo in the OP's message) shows it needs attention -- the partition sizes are all wrong, and possibly other stuff I'm not so familiar with.

Also, the init scripts, which mount the partitions on bootup, have the wrong partition numbers for pretty much everything.

No surprise it doesn't boot

I suspect fixing the BoardConfig.mk and init scripts is the next step to making this work.

I don't see why we can't build ICS for this tablet if it's been successfully hacked into place on similar devices (sgh-i727 come to mind, also a msm8660_surf device IIRC) -- Isn't the samsung Note (sgh-i717) also a msm8660_surf device? Both seem to have working dev builds of ICS.

I know Samsung will release ICS for the i957 soon enough, but... I'd _much_ rather be running CM9 than a carrier image

Thanks for your work getting this started!

I'll go ahead and start trying to get a working build environment set up... Haven't built CM9.. yet.. CM7 was pretty smooth the few times I tried, though... :D
12th June 2012, 01:49 AM |#53  

More
Glad to have you on board nrvate. The ics leaks for the skyrocket... In theory... Should be easy to port. Above my skill level tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
13th June 2012, 05:33 AM |#54  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 215

More
So yea, i did a bunch of research into this... and the i957 suffers from the same eMMC brick bug as the Skyrocket. The chainfire utility confirms that my i957 has the naughty eMMC chip. That makes the leaked 4.0.3 ICS skyrocket kernel a no go for this device.

From the loads of forum posts I read, it comes down to this:

Mr. Cyanogen himself is taking quite an active dev role in the crusade to bring AOSP to the msm8660 platform, but most the changes aren't commited to the CM9 tree yet -- still a WIP. Once the msm8660 platform is stable in the CM9 tree, it should just be tweaking to get it build on the i957 -- Probably have to jack around with kernel stuff for the touchscreen and/or wifi, the usual stuff.

I had a look over both the AOKP and CM9 repos, and the in-work msm8660 tree in CM9 is getting more updates for sure, i suspect CM9 is where we'll see the real magic for non-samsung ICS.

Checking out their entire repo and kernel to poke around.. I'm curous about the bits.

I also notice there is a much newer msm8660_surf tree on the Code Aurora MSM enablement project site. Properly configured and built maybe it'd come up :D

Need.more.time! hah. /geek
15th June 2012, 02:10 PM |#55  

More
If you flash twrp or cwm with an ics leak you should be pretty safe. Just never do any formatting or wiping from the rom gui.

CM9 official nightlies are out for the skyrocket so that's good news.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
7th September 2012, 10:38 PM |#56  
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 223

More
Any news ?
8th September 2012, 01:01 AM |#57  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-energy

Any news ?

yea man read the cm9 and cm10 threads!
21st June 2018, 05:37 PM |#58  
Flag Bowmanville
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I've got Danno rom and TWRP files, check the Danno thread if you're looking for them to resurrect this old unit.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...8#post76879448
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)