[HOW TO] Calibrate Desire Battery

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By vidler, Junior Member on 16th August 2010, 04:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th August 2010, 10:21 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
will do tomorrow cause i need to charge it anyway.....

16th August 2010, 10:27 PM |#22  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 10

More
No it's because the battery has some kind of protection against over-over charging(in case that you have bad charger/electricity connection). It has a small module in it that protects it from going to the real 0%(in which case the battery is totally dead and unrecoverable) and from going it to charge itself to 110%-ish. That stuff happens, so the module must first "learn" it's okay to charge it 100%.

I think that somewhere I've read that it's.... oh there it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaine2001

[tip] charge battery after green light for atleast 2-3 hours. THEN wipe before you unplug with the fully charged batt. It will def. gain you battery life more than just 1 hour after green light... I think its because of the trickling mechanism that it turns into after it has so much charge in it. I do that now and It usually takes 2-3 hours with moderate usage to get down to 85% (auto brightness). that's with wifi and edge on (0% without signal bcuz of using edge)

if battery is not at 4197mv it's not fully charged. =p GL

I just updated to cm6rc2 for this kernel... yesterday i got 12.5 hrs battery before it died. hopefully this will do even better

So 4197mv is full charged. When it goes over like 4200mv it's very dangerous and it may blow-up quickly. If it goes 4500mv-ish it's just BOOM!

And soo.. yes 4197 will never blow-up(seriously) a little more then that and boom. This "hack" makes the module "learn" to charge it to 4197. Or less in most cases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dany0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dany0 Ad-Free
16th August 2010, 10:37 PM |#23  
Flag Schaffhausen
Thanks Meter: 23

More
okee cool thx for the good explanation m8!
but now here comes something REALLY weird...
as i wrote i charged up about 3 hours ago with 2 sms and some recent check ups in between... and now i did a call lasting about 8 minutes

i hanged up the phone the indicator is still showing up 100%

wtf

normaly i would have been down to 92% or something like that..

i dunno what to say xD

my desire says unplugged since 19:07
my time is 22:39 now here
17th August 2010, 08:12 AM |#24  

More
Did you guys have waited to battery to drain to 0% and then started charging etc?
17th August 2010, 08:29 AM |#25  

More
I guess this works as this is pretty much what I did a few days ago and ever since then I have great battery life on normal use(email, browsing, calling texting, youtube) I let the battery run empty, charged to 100% and then wiped battery stats. I get about 40 hours now, will try this method and report back.
17th August 2010, 10:15 AM |#26  
Flag Tuckerville, the Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmetek

Did you guys have waited to battery to drain to 0% and then started charging etc?

Most of the time I let the battery run dry untill the device powers itself off.

That's not untill 0% BTW, the system has a kind of protection that shuts the device down when it still has a few % left, or else the battery would be damaged.
17th August 2010, 10:18 AM |#27  

More
Yes 4-5% indeed.

Anyway i set up another profile in SETCPU:

CHARGING/FULL 576/max
100% priority

and noticed it's charging much faster, it's that reasonable to leave priority at 100%?
17th August 2010, 10:20 AM |#28  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany0

This "hack" makes the module "learn" to charge it to 4197. Or less in most cases.

I can confirm the 'less in most cases': my battery isn't able to charge above 4128mV, even after the trick.
17th August 2010, 10:23 AM |#29  

More
where to measure mv's ? another widget?
17th August 2010, 10:26 AM |#30  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,757

Donate to Me
More
Ok lets clear some things up

Why do I need to do this
On all android roms, if you flash a rom while charging or during the first boot screen on first boot it mucks up the levels android thinks the phone is at, i.e. will think your at 100% when maybe your only 90% or whatever.

So you will in theory need to do this every time you flash a rom while charging, so in otherwords just remove the usb cable before you flash the rom and put it back in (if you must) after the first boot screen (when the custom screen or whatever shows).

Should I drain my battery all the way?
No! with these sorts of batteries you do not want to drain them all the way, there is a method of calibration that asks you to drain to 5% (NOT ALL THE WAY!!!!) but there really is no need as the way I outlined in my post (post 5?), and the OP works just fine.
17th August 2010, 10:34 AM |#31  
Flag Tuckerville, the Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmetek

where to measure mv's ? another widget?

Search the Market for an app called Overcharged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notification.png
Views:	2284
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	382003  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)