[APP][Android 7.0+][4.3.194 - 22/12/2023] AdGuard - No Root Ad Blocker

Search This thread

Wrapp

Oct 20, 2010
There aren't really many drawbacks to using automatic HTTP proxy mode once you have your phone rooted. Pros are obvious -- you are able to run AdGuard along with other VPN apps. One negative aspect is that some specific connections of certain apps to some nonstandard ports may not be blocked. Overall, this is not too noticeable of a drawback, and we recommend using automatic proxy if you have root.

Using it it proxy mode since about 2 weeks now. The advantage with the other VPN is clear to me. However, since I use the proxy mode Adguard regularly "stops". The icon in the status bar disappears and my apps have no internet connection until i re-enable Adguard manually. This doesn't happen while the phone is sleeping, it happens during normal usage (browsing,...).

I use Adguard 2.11. And idea?

VasilyBagirov

Jul 27, 2018
Using it it proxy mode since about 2 weeks now. The advantage with the other VPN is clear to me. However, since I use the proxy mode Adguard regularly "stops". The icon in the status bar disappears and my apps have no internet connection until i re-enable Adguard manually. This doesn't happen while the phone is sleeping, it happens during normal usage (browsing,...).

I use Adguard 2.11. And idea?

Do you mean that this doesn't happen in VPN mode, only in proxy? What is your OS version and device model?

Also, you may want to try out the 2.12 beta version, it has quite a few changes and improvements.

Wrapp

Oct 20, 2010
Yes, only in proxy but not in vpn mode. OnePlus5t, newest beta (android 8.1).

I will try the newer beta of Adguard...

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Do you mean that this doesn't happen in VPN mode, only in proxy? What is your OS version and device model?

Also, you may want to try out the 2.12 beta version, it has quite a few changes and improvements.

Yeah I have the same issue, I always used VPN mode until I installed Android p and couldn't get rid of the VPN notification. Root mode works but seems more finicky for sure. I was running the beta at the time so switched back to stable and same issues.

yochananmarqos

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2013
github.com
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 8
Yeah I have the same issue, I always used VPN mode until I installed Android p and couldn't get rid of the VPN notification. Root mode works but seems more finicky for sure. I was running the beta at the time so switched back to stable and same issues.
You can remove the VPN icon in the status bar with SystemUI Tuner by Zachary Wander.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA Labs

Wrapp

Oct 20, 2010

Yes, switch off in proxy mode still happens for me in the newest Beta as well (OnePlus 5T, Android 8.1).
Should I upload a Logcat somewhere? I'm not too experienced with logat, do I have to have logcat running while AdGuard switches off, or is it OK to get a logcat after it happened?

DominatingSystem

Jun 4, 2009
AdGuard doesn't work good since the last updates.
I see ads in every app. 9gag, Browser etc
I don't know what happened but I test blokada and all my ads are gone.

I hope AdGuard will fix the problems soon.

Edit:
Ok, I see the latest beta works again. But I must reinstall all. But...now it works.

Great

Last edited:

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
AdGuard breaks internet connection on mobile data when in proxy mode (root). It doesn't work at all but it works on wifi. VPN works fine for both mobile data and wifi.

Pixel 2 XL on Android 9 Pie
AdGuard 2.12.171

Let me know what kind of log you need. Thanks!

VasilyBagirov

Jul 27, 2018
Take into account that no icon means lower priority and therefore more chances that the system may kill it. Also, we collected some tips on how to stop the system from killing AG in this article: https://kb.adguard.com/en/android/solving-problems/background-work

You probably know it all already, but it won't hurt.

Also paging @Wrapp

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

AdGuard breaks internet connection on mobile data when in proxy mode (root). It doesn't work at all but it works on wifi. VPN works fine for both mobile data and wifi.

Pixel 2 XL on Android 9 Pie
AdGuard 2.12.171

Let me know what kind of log you need. Thanks!

Here's an instruction on collecting the log:
https://kb.adguard.com/en/android/solving-problems/log#debug

Please send it to support and post here your helpdesk ID.

Wrapp

Oct 20, 2010
Tried to acquire a logat for my problem with the automatic switch-off in http-proxy mode. Not sure if I copied the correct lines....

[ 08-13 00:56:37.880 27346:27346 E/AndroidRuntime ]
FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel, PID: 27346
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'android.content.res.Configuration android.content.res.Resources.getConfiguration()' on a null object reference
at android.app.ActivityThread.updateLocaleListFromAppContext(ActivityThread.java:5598)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:5865)
at android.app.ActivityThread.-wrap1(Unknown Source:0)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1755)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:164)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6753)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.runRuntimeInit.java:482)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:807)
[ 08-13 05:07:12.303 15029:15029 E/AndroidRuntime ]
FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel, PID: 15029
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'android.content.res.Configuration android.content.res.Resources.getConfiguration()' on a null object reference
at android.app.ActivityThread.updateLocaleListFromAppContext(ActivityThread.java:5598)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:5865)
at android.app.ActivityThread.-wrap1(Unknown Source:0)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1755)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:164)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6753)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:482)

[ 08-13 17:09:20.034 1325: 1664 D/ConnectivityService ]
Switching to new default network: NetworkAgentInfo{ ni{[type: WIFI[], state: CONNECTED/CONNECTED, reason: (unspecified), extra: "IdefixUni", failover: false, available: true, roaming: false]} network{285} nethandle{1224082115294} lp{{InterfaceName: wlan0 LinkAddresses: [fe80::cc6b:491d:5490:ca15/64,192.168.178.46/24,] Routes: [fe80::/64 -> :: wlan0,192.168.178.0/24 -> 0.0.0.0 wlan0,0.0.0.0/0 -> 192.168.178.1 wlan0,] DnsAddresses: [192.168.178.1,] Domains: fritz.box MTU: 0 TcpBufferSizes: 524288,1048576,4194304,524288,1048576,4194304}} nc{[ Transports: WIFI Capabilities: NOT_METERED&INTERNET&NOT_RESTRICTED&TRUSTED&NOT_VPN&VALIDATED&FOREGROUND LinkUpBandwidth>=1048576Kbps LinkDnBandwidth>=1048576Kbps SignalStrength: -56]} Score{60} everValidated{true} lastValidated{true} created{true} lingering{false} explicitlySelected{false} acceptUnvalidated{false} everCaptivePortalDetected{false} lastCaptivePortalDetected{false} clat{null} }

[ 08-13 17:09:20.046 690: 695 E/NetlinkEvent ]
NetlinkEvent::FindParam(): Parameter 'INTERFACE' not found

[ 08-13 17:09:20.047 690: 695 E/NetlinkEvent ]
NetlinkEvent::FindParam(): Parameter 'STATE' not found

NetlinkEvent::FindParam(): Parameter 'TIME_NS' not found

NetlinkEvent::FindParam(): Parameter 'UID' not found

Tatsch

May 11, 2009
Hi, is there somebody who can explain the difference between:

- Menu: DNS enable/disable

and

- Settings > Filter > Ad Blocker > "Simplified domain names blocker" enable/disable

Does it mean the same thing? Better enabling only one of these or both?

Thx

>`xW0

Aug 17, 2018
LG V20
I'm unable to use Wi-Fi Hotspot (tethering) from smartphone after update to 2.12.140. I can enable/disable the Hotspot, but I can't connect to it (no traffic).
Downgrading to any other versions doesn't solve the problem. And it looks like even the uninstallation does not work, clearing cache the same.
Are there some adb commands that can be used to fix the problem?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

Hello all!
    I'd like to present you Adguard for Android. It is a tool designed to make web surfing of Android users more comfortable and safe.
    Adguard is an adblocker, privacy protection tool, and protector against online threats. It also has its own Firewall to control the incoming/outgoing traffic.
    What's important: no ROOT required.

If you have any ideas on how to improve Adguard or you would like to submit a bug, please do so at our profile on GitHub! If you have any questions about Adguard or related matters and would like to get live responses, welcome to our public Telegram channel!

Important note: we use Github as an open bug and release tracker, but the app itself is a closed source.
    Here is our privacy policy. TL;DR: we don't collect your data and send the necessary minimum for checking the license status (in case if you want to use "premium" features).

Images

Here are some screenshots of Adguard for Android app:

Home.pngProtections.pngTracking.pngFirewall.pngVPN.pngAppMan.pngRecentActivity.pngLowLevels.png
    Statistics.jpg

Features

• AdGuard is a top-notch system-wide ad blocker for Android. It effectively blocks ads and shields you from trackers both within browsers and apps.
    • It speeds up page loading by removing unnecessary elements from web pages.
    • With its Browsing Security feature, it protects you from malware and phishing.
    • It’s really easy to use: you can start protection with a single tap.

But for those who want fine-tuning...

• AdGuard's Firewall feature allows you to control Internet access for all apps installed on your device.
    • It supports custom filters and user rules for the most precise ad blocking.
    • You can view full statistics on all requests sent from your device, sorted by company or app, and manage them on the fly.

Installation instructions

Website
    Instruction on how to install Adguard can be found in our knowledgebase.

Adguard checks for updates once in 24 hours. If there is a new version available, you will get a notification.
    If you tap on "Update" we will download and upgrade your version of Adguard.

Google Play:

You can't get Adguard from Google Play because Google wants to know everything about you and also it does not want users to decide if they want to see its ads or not.

Changelog

Downloads

Stable version:
    Link to the stable version
    Beta version:
    Link to the beta version

Click here to learn info about our beta testing program. We are always looking for beta testers and will be glad if you guys join us :)

All versions:
    Or you can get any version from here.

FAQ

Q: How does Adguard protection work?

A: Adguard filters your browsers traffic by blocking requests to phishing and malicious websites and removing intrusive browser advertising. Adguard can use three modes of traffic filtering:

1. Local VPN mode - If you are using this mode, Adguard does not need ROOT privileges to carry out filtering. At the same time, VPN-server is located on your device, so that there is no need to pass your traffic through a remote server in order to filter it.

2. Automatic proxy mode - In this mode Adguard launch a local HTTP proxy server on your device. This mode is recommended if you use a rooted device. In automatic mode, enabling of filtering does not require any action from you. Filtering will work in both mobile and Wi-Fi networks.

3. Manual proxy mode - This approach may not work in some situations. It depends on your firmware and the actual VPN app. For some cases traffic bypasses manually configured proxy. In manual mode filtering will only work in Wi-Fi networks. And you have to manually configure the use of proxy server for each Wi-Fi network.

Q: Do I need the ROOT access?

A: Unlike most of applications that are engaged in the traffic filtering, Adguard does not require ROOT access to your device. In local VPN server mode Adguard will filter all your traffic and so the ROOT access is not needed at all.

Q: How to use a third-party VPN along with Adguard?

A: If you are already using a VPN for other purposes, then in order for Adguard filtering to work, you can turn it to a Automatic proxy mode. The filtering mode can be changed in the Filtering settings.

Q: How to configure Manual proxy mode?

A: If your device does not support automatic proxy configuration, then you can configure proxy server manually, using the instructions below:
    1. In the Adguard Filtering settings select — Manual proxy mode.
    2. Go to your phone settings and choose Wi-Fi. A list of wireless networks will be opened.
    3. If the device is not yet connected, connect to the Wi-Fi networks than you need. Open network setting by pressing the line with this network. The following menu of the selected Wi-Fi network will appear.
    4. Select Modify network. In the new window select Show advanced options.
    5. In Proxy select Manual.
    6. Enter 127.0.0.1 in Proxy hostname and enter the port that is showed in proxy settings in Adguard application itself (port 8080 is used in Adguard setting by default).
    7. Proxy server is set up. Now all Wi-Fi traffic will be filtered by Adguard.

Q: How does DNS-filtering work?
    Adguard can filter domain resolution requests to the Domain Name System servers, handle them locally, and block requests to phishing, malicious, advertising and tracking systems on such domains.
    Blocking is implemented by sending back a specially crafted response that redirects all traffic to local network interface (with 127.0.0.1 IP address). Then browser or app intended to connect to such domain will try to connect to a server on this particular device, and eventually get an error.
    Detailed answer: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63751226&postcount=375
    Q: This seems like a best way to filter ads, why use something else?
    A: Because there are many advertising systems that use the same domains for advertising and some useful service. The DNS-filtering can be used just to speed up overall filtering process and to save some battery juice.
    Q: Why can't I use DNS-filtering with Local HTTP proxy mode?
    A: Because we need to filter all traffic (all network packets) sent from your device for DNS-filtering. Only VPN mode can accomplish such a thing.

Q: Why does Android stats show that Adguard consumed more traffic than it saved?
    A: On Android's Data usage page or in your favorite data-traffic tracking app, you might see an indication that Adguard has consumed all or most of your mobile traffic. Make no mistake - it's your apps and not Adguard that consumed the data in question. There is a known issue with Android when VPN or proxy is established, with all traffic from all apps being assigned to Adguard. We hope that this clarifies what's happening.

Q: Why does Adguard consume so much battery juice?
    A: First of all, no it's not Adguard that takes so much traffic and device battery (as it may seem). It is an issue of Android that calculates the amount of consumed traffic in a very peculiar way. We have a nice article - "Adguard for Android battery and traffic consumption issues", check it out for more information.

Q: What restrictions does VPN mode have?

A: Adguard filters traffic using local VPN-server by default. In this mode there are some restrictions. In local VPN mode Adguard won't be run automatically after turning on the phone, because this capability is blocked by Android OS.

Contributors
    Daria, Adguard Team, avatar_adg, BabylonDreams, Revertron

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 4.3.194
    Stable Release Date: 2023-12-22
    Current Beta Version: 4.3.178
    Beta Release Date: 2023-12-15

Created 2015-08-12
    Last Updated 2023-12-22
    AdGuard for Android 3.2.135 Release!

Two months of development are rarely enough to come up with an update that big. Despite that, AdGuard 3.2 for Android is packed with major new features, not mentioning the long list of minor changes that goes on and on ;)

There’s something for both experienced users (userscripts support, DNS user filter) and for absolute beginners (feature discovery) to help them make their first steps. And everyone will equally appreciate the improved stability and speed that come with CoreLibs filtering engine update.

[Added] Feature discovery #2459

mainen.gif

We try to position AdGuard for Android as an app you can technically turn on and forget about it, but that can offer so much more if you spend some time to explore it. To help new users not get lost in many many features we added over the years, we'll now highlight the most important UI elements and give short tooltips that explain what they are all about. This will only happen when you visit this or that screen for the first time, of course, otherwise, it would become old very soon.

[Added] Userscripts support #34

enexten.gif

Userscripts (we also call them extensions) are basically mini-programs written in Javascript that extend the functionality of one or more websites. Usually, you'd need some special userscript manager to add them, and it's traditionally more of a desktop thing. But with AdGuard everything is possible! Now you can add any userscripts by URL or load them from a file, and AdGuard will serve as a userscript manager and take care of the rest. Go to *Settings > Extensions* to enable some of the preinstalled extensions or to add custom userscripts. By the way, you can tap on any userscript from among the added ones to see more details and to reinstall or delete it.

[Added] DNS User filter and custom hosts files support #2803, #1851

dnsfilter.gif

This is very similar to the regular User filter for custom filtering rules, but for DNS requests. You can find it at Settings > DNS Filtering > DNS Requests blocking. DNS User filter supports two types of syntax: a limited portion of AdGuard syntax and "hosts" syntax. More about it in our Knowledge Base.

Another DNS-related feature is hosts files support. AdGuard users now can add any hosts lists as custom DNS filters. Again, this option is on the Settings > DNS Filtering > DNS Requests blocking screen.

[Fixed] IPv6 filtering doesn't work in automatic proxy mode #2579

Not a new feature, but a very important fix. Many users with rooted devices use AdGuard in automatic proxy mode, and it turned out that IPv6 filtering wasn't working in this mode. In this version, the problem is fixed.

Ad blocking

• [Added] "Disable AMP" userscript #2815
    • [Added] Firefox preview has been added to the list of browsers #2958
    • [Changed] Google DOH and DOT URLs in the configuration have been updated #2844
    • [Fixed] A bug with license status, filters and userscripts updates #2855
    • [Fixed] Issues while in root+proxy mode configuration #2894
    • [Fixed] The value for one of Stealth Mode settings can't be set #2788
    • [Fixed] Filter groups' statuses aren't restored from backup #2887
    • [Fixed] DNS filter's metadata doesn't update #2830
    • [Fixed] Double tap is required to start protection #2883
    • [Fixed] Custom filters aren't restored from backup #2864
    • [Fixed] Wrong rule is suggested when blocking an HTTPS tunnel request #2865
    • [Improved] CoreLibs filtering engine has been updated to v1.4.91 #2928

UI

• [Added] An error toast when an error occurs during a long-running background task #2819
    • [Added] Add "Extension Details" activity #2807
    • [Added] Empty field validation when adding a new extension #2954
    • [Fixed] Android TV Overlayed hints can't be dismissed #3003
    • [Added] Response status to the DNS log entry details #2835
    • [Changed] Languages' names have been homogenized in the language select menu #2753
    • [Changed] A bullet has been added to the statistics period selection dialog #2756
    • [Changed] Cutout area on cutout devices is now colored #2952
    • [Changed] Icons order in Apps Management has been made consistent #2777
    • [Changed] Notification about updated userscripts and filters #2796
    • [Changed] Dialogs on the Stealth mode screen #2808
    • [Changed] "New custom filter" dialogs layout #2809
    • [Changed] An indicator telling that AG cannot filter itself has been added to Apps Management #2700
    • [Changed] AdGuard and Proxy notifications have been combined into a single notification group #2718
    • [Changed] Upstream DNS server's address is now shown in the Filtering log #2735
    • [Changed] "Get Premium" activity now closes after free trial is successfully started #2816
    • [Fixed] Minor UI layout issue #2934
    • [Fixed] Homepage link for Tracking Protection filter #2937
    • [Fixed] Overlayed hints can’t be dismissed #2979
    • [Fixed] UI resets to the classic theme after switching the update channel #2784
    • [Fixed] UI bug on older LG devices #2789
    • [Fixed] Settings activity doesn't run on some devices with rare firmware #2770
    • [Fixed] Search results in Filtering log do not include some matching entries #2681
    • [Fixed] Valid email address is highlighted as if it was invalid #2752
    • [Fixed] Minor UI-related issues #2870
    • [Fixed] An inconsistency with the UI of Stealth Mode settings #2854
    • [Fixed] Wrong text below the license type in the main menu #2903
    • [Improved] User dialogs have been greatly improved #2754
    • [Improved] Items in dialogs are now highlighted on tap #2716
    • [Improved] Search functionality in the Apps Managements is slow #2951

Networking

• [Added] TCP listener to the DNS filtering proxy #2470
    • [Changed] "Block WebRTC" Stealth Mode option is now applied to browsers only #2757
    • [Fixed] IPv6 filtering doesn't work in automatic proxy mode #2579
    • [Fixed] AdGuard blocks internet connection #2842
    • [Fixed] IPv6 is not resolved within IPv6 VPNs if the main connection is IPv4-only #2325
    • [Fixed] Proxy settings won't renew if user disables proxy via notification #2707
    • [Fixed] Low-level setting pref.dns.blocking.nxdomain works inconsistently #2847
    • [Fixed] Search suggestions don't work in Firefox #2884
    • Other
    • [Added] Userscripts metadata localizations #2806
    • [Fixed] Background filters update does not work #3006
    • [Changed] Localizations have been updated
    • [Changed] File names for exported User filter and Whitelist #2880
    • [Fixed] An error when you export settings #2906
    • [Fixed] Homepage link for Tracking Protection filter #2937
    • [Fixed] DNSProxy logging level does not change #2858
    • [Fixed] AdGuard crashes to desktop #2762
    • [Fixed] AdGuard freezes when the device orientation is switched to landscape mode at a certain time #2765
    • [Fixed] AdGuard crashes after adding a certain custom filter #2888
    • [Fixed] App sometimes crashes upon launch on S10+ devices #2825
    • [Improved] AdGuard now launches faster #2786
    • [Improved] Update CoreLibs to 1.4.138 #3001

This version on a Github.
    Direct download.
    Be aware that while using AdGuard on PC it became abundantly clear that it slowed internet traffic, pages do NOT open faster, but most alarming of all was its insane (and i mean INSANE) overinflation of the number ads etc that it blocked. It smelt like a con on just the bs figures alone, but with the added slowdown in traffic i removed it.

AdAway, via FDroid. Less drama, real results.
    Adguard v2.8.67 - release version

Finally, it's time for Adguard for Android 2.8 to come to light! It brings the ad blocking quality to the next level with several big novelties such as Simplified domain names filter or extended CSS support. Many new low-level settings will allow advanced users to customize app to their liking, and for all the rest we bring quite a few quality of life improvements and bugfixes. We hope everyone finds something useful in the new Adguard for Android version.

Ad Blocking

[Added] Support for Extended CSS and Extended Selectors #810

Extended CSS support is a very important addition in terms of future (and present) possibilities that it opens for ad blocking. Extended CSS is a module for applying CSS styles with extended selection properties. Basically, it means that we will be able to select and, therefore, block some elements that we would not be able to block otherwise. Currently we support following pseudo-classes: -ext-has ( :has ), -ext-contains ( :contains ), -ext-matches-css ( :matches-css ).

'Extended selector' is a technical term, but what hides behind it? With extended selectors support, we can much more easily create some rules that were very, very hard to create earlier. Notably, this concerns rules required to block such things as 'Sponsored posts' on Facebook.

[Added] Simplified domain names filter #876

Fresh addition to the Adguard filters family. Simplified domain names filter is composed of several filters (English filter, Social media filter, Spyware filter, Mobile ads filter, EasyList and EasyPrivacy), modified for better DNS filtering. It blocks ads and trackers wherever it is possible to indicate own DNS addresses. Note that it will block the whole domains and not the specific URLs. You can learn more about DNS blocking by visiting our website adguard.com.

[Changed] "Filter DNS requests" feature is now available for non-premium users #875

With Adguard DNS introduced and being free, there is no point in keeping this Adguard for Android feature paid. Now it will be equally accessible for all users alike. There is still plenty of good stuff in the Premium version of the app :)

[Added] pref.root.clear.youtube low-level flag #907

This option will allow rooted users to automate removing Youtube app data, which appears to be crucial for blocking ads in it. By the way, in one of the recent articles in our blog you can find a detailed guide to blocking ads in YouTube app.

[Added] 'pref.filtered.ports' added to low level settings - advanced users can now add new ports to filter #796
    [Added] $websocket content type modifier - it will enable to use rules written exclusively for WebSocket connections #801
    [Added] $important rule modifier #833
    [Added] Latvian filter list #730
    [Added] List-KR filter list #756
    [Added] A new low-level setting: "pref.boot.startup.delay" #776
    [Changed] Multiple browsers added to the list of browsers filtered by default #757, #808, #862, #922
    [Fixed] $replace rules can now be applied along with other filtering rules #844
    [Fixed] $app modifier is ignored when HTML content is being filtered #921
    [Fixed] HTML filtering rules with wildcard attribute can not be parsed #917
    [Improved] Users are now allowed to select filters update check period #746
    [Improved] Increased content filtering rules maximum length limit #590
    [Improved] HAR file writer, which is used for debugging purposes #784
    [Improved] QUIC-connections blocking for the Chrome browser #766

Networking

[Added] pref.vpn.ipv4.bypass low-level setting #909

If this option is enabled, Adguard will ignore all IPv4 connections. This might appear weird and unnecessary, but in reality it allows to use Adguard as a 'DNS-level' ad blocker. You only need to enable the following options: pref.vpn.ipv4.bypass, pref.vpn.ipv6.bypass, DNS requests filtering and Adguard DNS filter (the latter is not crucial, but will help immensely with blocking ads in browsers). Adguard will cease filtering other apps' traffic, and will only block ad domains on the DNS requests level. As a result, ad blocking quality will drop and Firewall functionality will not be available, but also there will be close to zero performance penalty.

[Added] VPN restart feature #733
    [Changed] Updated default SSL whitelist #843, #848
    [Changed] Protection is now paused automatically when Bluetooth tethering is detected #791
    [Changed] IPv4 connections now have priority over IPv6 connections #802
    [Changed] New server is now used for filters #863
    [Changed] The way Adguard blocks IPv6 #853
    [Fixed] Wi-Fi calling for AT&T #817
    [Fixed] Crash due to "Too many open files" error #834
    [Fixed] ENOBUFS error while writing to the TUN #724
    [Fixed] SOCKS 5 proxy blocks internet traffic #660
    [Fixed] Error processing HTTP/2 requests #850
    [Fixed] HTTPS connections with some upstream HTTP proxy #839
    [Fixed] "Operation not permitted" error while processing UDP connection #840
    [Fixed] Issue with traffic slipping through firewall #765
    [Improved] HTTPS is now used for safebrowsing service requests #912
    [Improved] Adguard styles are now protected from removal #913
    [Improved] Adguard automatically detects when Adguard's certificate is moved to system certificate storage (Helps with https filtering in Android N+) #755

UI

[Added] 'Installation date' to the app details screen #794
    [Added] A Quick Settings tile for Android N and up #767
    [Added] A low level switch to enforce "protection paused" notification to be visible even when notification icon mode is set to 'None' #838
    [Changed] Some localizations were updated #919
    [Changed] Filtering methods explanations were updated #136
    [Changed] IME (typing) mode for adding/importing custom rules dialogs #835
    [Changed] System packages list is added to the "Tech info" section of "Android OS" details screen #857
    [Changed] Apps Management screen is automatically updated when new app is installed - no need to restart Adguard anymore #747
    [Changed] 'Apps and Statistics' section renamed to 'Apps Management' and brought to the main menu #823
    [Fixed] Time format on main screen now follows system settings #819
    [Fixed] Unnecessary exception is logged #854
    [Improved] Filter editor now recognizes lines starting with "!" as commentaries in user-imported filters #759

Minor and compatibility issues

Lots of other minor issues and compatibility fixes. The full list can be found in our GitHub repository inside the descriptions of previous beta versions.

How to install

As always, we are looking for beta testers. Beta testers get access to all premium features in exchange for their feedback. Click here to learn more about our beta testing program.
    AdGuard for Android - new beta v3.0.241 is available!

Hello!

As usual, this email indicates that a new beta version has just hit the servers and is ready to be installed. This beta is certainly a very special one, it contains a large number of high-impact changes.

The CoreLibs filtering engine has received a new boost, ensuring faster and better filtering. The app has been redesigned completely, you may have to spend some time getting used to it. For the aficionados of dark themes in applications we added an option to switch between light and dark themes.

A whole new module has been added to AdGuard: Stealth Mode. It will take the privacy protection to the next level. Feel free to play around with its multiple settings. Speaking of new settings, make sure to tale a look at the renovated DNS screen. We've added the support of DNS-over-TLS protocol, simplified the DNS-over-HTTPS configuration process (you don't need SDNS any more) and allowed to indicate any number of upstream servers for your custom DNS setups.

Going through the rest of the changes: more filter subscriptions, custom filter subscriptions by URL, neatly-looking statistics charts, new first launch wizard and widget redesign.

The amount of testing you can do is limited only by your own imagination :) Hope you will like the new beta and help us translate it into an even better release version. For the complete changelog, as usual, head over to GitHub.

Direct download