Vibrant won't boot into recovery?

Search This thread

ParkerOviedo

Aug 29, 2009
I have tried everything. Holding volume up and power, down and power, both and power
Holding the whole time, letting go at the vibrant screen
I even did i factory reset and it wont work
Does anyone else have this issue?
It is going to ultimately force me to get a replacment device
I was wondering if there was somehing i missed

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Ry-Guy615

Jan 6, 2010
Same problem here. Spent a day trying to get it to work. Finally gave up and used the one click root method to get into recovery. This is my second Vibrant, so it's not that I haven't done this correctly before. Very strange, but one click worked for me.

ParkerOviedo

Aug 29, 2009
The one click doesn't do anything
It puts the update.zip on my internal storage then doesn't reboot or anything
Would it still work through adb?

shootr

Aug 7, 2010
I've spent several hours trying to get into recovery and download mode via the buttons. I've tried everything I've found on the forums, and pretty much concluded that the US Vibrant is seeing the same issue that Bell Canada and Aus Optus is with some phones not having the power button reboot functional for whatever reason. I'm going to return mine tomorrow for one that works. Hopefully I don't get any static about trying them out till I find one that works properly.

ADB works fine for me to reboot to recovery and download. I personally would use TGA_Gunman's root.

allen099

Feb 22, 2010
New York
Hey guys. I just bought a Vibrant today and am having this same issue. No matter how many times I hold either volume button independently (or even together), I can't get into Fastboot, or I guess Download mode as it's called here. I'm coming from a Nexus One where it works everytime, so this is kind of weird. Launching RomManager and selecting to boot into recovery does work, but I don't want to rely on that.

Is the smart thing to go swap the physical phone?

wbexpress

Jan 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I am having the same problem with my Vibrant. Anyone figure out how to get it into recovery?

As unpleasant as it may seem to do so, it really behooves you who are having those issues, (as am I with my 3rd replacement!!!) Vibrant, it is absolutely worth your while to set up ADB, for numerous reasons. It solves both of those issues and allows so many other options. Once you do the installation of the SDK on your PC and install the right drivers, it is not at all difficult to use it to do many important things much easier.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/

rdunn20

Dec 12, 2009
Memphis
just download quick boot from the app store and u can reboot, recovery, or bootloader ur phone with this app

shootr

Aug 7, 2010
The problem with relying on adb, Quick Boot, and Rom Manager is what are you going to do when you flash and your phone won't boot? You won't be able to get into download or recovery mode and you'll be hosed. Take the phone back while you can and get one that works.

Ry-Guy615

Jan 6, 2010
Exactly. I'm curious if there's a way around this though. What is it
that actually causes the phone to boot into recovery with the hardware keys and is it something that can be fixed/flashed?

I already exchanged once within the thirty days and I don't think the 30 days gets reset. Think I'm past the return period now.

allen099

Feb 22, 2010
New York
The problem with relying on adb, Quick Boot, and Rom Manager is what are you going to do when you flash and your phone won't boot? You won't be able to get into download or recovery mode and you'll be hosed. Take the phone back while you can and get one that works.

I'm so glad you wrote that. This is exactly my feeling. In ideal solutions, ADB or even installing a terminal emulator onto the phone is great. But for any dev who dabbles with modifying their phone in any way, having access to recovery directly from the phone is an absolute must.

Gusgom

Jul 29, 2009
Rockville
Im having the same problem but let me ask could it be because Avatar is in the sd card?...I keep reading (NOW) that the Root zip files should be copy to a SD without Avatar....

YMark

Aug 18, 2010
Phoenix
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Im having the same problem but let me ask could it be because Avatar is in the sd card?...I keep reading (NOW) that the Root zip files should be copy to a SD without Avatar....

There are two "SD" cards, an internal and external. The external one is the on that the user can swap. It also contains the Avatar movie (if it is the one that came with the phone).

The update.zip file should be copied to the internal SD card. The one WITHOUT the Avatar movie.

I also cannot get my phone to boot into recovery using the buttons. I rooted using one-click.

Last edited:

johnny12times

Sep 29, 2007
Albuquerque
It seems to be an issue with new/replacement Vibrants. I have a thread about it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=764360

If anyone has a device like this and can pull a dump file from it and upload it, that would be fantastic! I'm not sure if this is a physical limiter or a software based one, but I'm pretty sure it's software based on experience and manufacture dates. Once we get a dump, I'm sure someone will be able to figure it out.

And to back what the others said, I was able to adb download no problem, but when the Odin flash hung, there was no way to get back in to download mode and I ended up having to exchange the phone. As soon as my next one gets here, I'll test and post a dump if someone else hasn't already.

dex1701

Sep 29, 2007
The town of Chi
And to back what the others said, I was able to adb download no problem, but when the Odin flash hung, there was no way to get back in to download mode and I ended up having to exchange the phone.
I had the same issue on a replacement Vibrant and this works for me to get into download mode (even after Odin hung and it looked 100% dead):

1. Removed SD and SIM card
2. Removed battery
3. plugged the phone into USB
4. held down vol-up and vol-down
5. popped the battery back in while holding vol buttons

likingandroid

Jul 25, 2010
I had the same issue on a replacement Vibrant and this works for me to get into download mode (even after Odin hung and it looked 100% dead):

1. Removed SD and SIM card
2. Removed battery
3. plugged the phone into USB
4. held down vol-up and vol-down
5. popped the battery back in while holding vol buttons

Excellent directions. Worked like a charm.

maltesemania432

Dec 11, 2010
OMG! I seriously thought my Vibrant was trashed! Excellent directions for getting your Vibrant out of Boot loop and into Download mode:
1. pull everything out of phone (battery, SIM, SD card)
2. Plug in USB cable
3. Hold down both volume buttons
4. Insert battery while holding down volume buttons.
My phone went into Download mode easily at this point.

In my case, my phone got stuck in Boot loop while trying to use ROM Manager for a new ROM. Guess I used it wrong, I'll just stick with installing ROM's by way of Recovery mode. Anyway, my phone stayed in Download mode until I flashed it with ODIN. I just flashed it back to stock and started over. Here's the link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=734475
I'm so glad I didn't have to exchange my phone, I feel bad for those that had to exchange thier phones, this is a nice workaround.

wilgtr

Apr 11, 2010
i try it went into downloading screen. Odin did not see my phone. What can i do now? Can anyone help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hold both volumes and power until you see the contact screen for the second time.