[Magisk] [EMUI 8.0] Root Honor View 10, Mate 10 (Pro) (Huawei Treble Devices)

Search This thread

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
How did you do a direct install?
To wich partition did you install the 17.1 img?

Thanks in advance

That was the update Magisk did by itself when I tapped install.

When I first installed Magisk months ago I followed the guide in this thread, and since 16.7 we can simply update it like everybody else.

If you're doing a new install now you can still follow the guide in the 1st post here, but instead of the custom URL you can simply select the beta or stable chan and use the latest Magisk + Manager :)

Marcuss4

May 12, 2015
That was the update Magisk did by itself when I tapped install.

When I first installed Magisk months ago I followed the guide in this thread, and since 16.7 we can simply update it like everybody else.

If you're doing a new install now you can still follow the guide in the 1st post here, but instead of the custom URL you can simply select the beta or stable chan and use the latest Magisk + Manager :)

Great thanks!!

fabiano992

Dec 21, 2014
bari
Magisk has officially landed on the lovely Treble enabled Huawei devices! Props to Huawei reaching out and sent me a device for development :)
Instead of holding it off and wait till the next proper release, I decide to release it here so those willing to root their device can give it a try.

These Huawei Treble devices use an interesting setup: it no longer has a boot and recovery partition, but instead has a kernel partition, a ramdisk partition, and a recovery_ramdisk partition. Both boot and recovery share the same kernel, but with separate ramdisks on separate partitions. Since Magisk modifies the ramdisk in boot images, the patches will have to be applied to the ramdisk partition. This nature will very likely to also slightly change how custom recovery will be installed, my bet is similar to Pixel devices which ships with a full ramdisk image, and should be flashed to the recovery_ramdisk partition.
This build is only tested with Honor View 10, but it should work with Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro in theory since these devices are very similar.

Enough of the rambling, let's get right into it!

Instructions
If your device have TWRP support, just directly flash it via TWRP. For devices without TWRP yet (currently all Huawei Treble devices), you can follow the instructions below:
  1. Install latest Magisk Manager from the Official Thread
  2. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Update Channel > Custom, and insert the following URL: https://goo.gl/jefZKH
  3. Follow the instructions of "Install Via Magisk Manager" in the main thread, but instead of providing the boot image (which these devices do NOT have), provide the stock ramdisk.img.
    If you are using EU View 10 with model BKL-L09, you can download the stock ramdisk.img I extracted from official OTAs in the attachments
    If you have stock ramdisk images for other devices, please share them and I'll add them to the OP.
    Make sure you are installing Magisk-v15.4(1541), which is only available through the custom channel you've set in step 2.
  4. Pull the patched image with adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img, and flash the patched ramdisk via fastboot:
    fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
  5. Reboot and you shall have a properly rooted device passing SafetyNet, start playing with some Magisk modules!
Donation
https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu
The channel error Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180912-182807.jpeg

Inviato dal mio VTR-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

M1chiel

The channel error

The OP is a bit outdated (better not copy it by the way). There is no need to change the channel anymore. Just use the default. Also the patched boot is not saved in the MagiskManager folder anymore, but in the same folder as the original ramdisk.img.

Reactions: The Nub and kpirnie

fabiano992

Dec 21, 2014
bari
The OP is a bit outdated (better not copy it by the way). There is no need to change the channel anymore. Just use the default. Also the patched boot is not saved in the MagiskManager folder anymore, but in the same folder as the original ramdisk.img.
Why they do not update the guide?

alboz83

Feb 2, 2011
Cagliari
Guys i flashed RR Beta 3 and i installed magisk manager, the last version but crash and i can't patch ramdisk.img. I tried 6.0.0 version and 5.9.1 version, not work

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Guys i flashed RR Beta 3 and i installed magisk manager, the last version but crash and i can't patch ramdisk.img. I tried 6.0.0 version and 5.9.1 version, not work

Just install the latest Magisk Manager and use the stable or beta chan instead of the custom one, then follow the opening post. Also make sure Magisk Manager has write storage/permissions.

I patched mine when I was on RR2 and I updated to RR3 yesterday without any issues, Magisk still works like it should and nothing crashes :good: :)

Last edited:

alboz83

Feb 2, 2011
Cagliari
Just install the latest Magisk Manager and use the stable or beta chan instead of the custom one, then follow the opening post. Also make sure Magisk Manager has write storage/permissions.

I patched mine when I was on RR2 and I updated to RR3 yesterday without any issues, Magisk still works like it should and nothing crashes :good: :)
Ok I installed the last version, select write storage/permissions, but Magisk Manager stuck at logo and not open

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Ok I installed the last version, select write storage/permissions, but Magisk Manager stuck at logo and not open

No idea what to tell you, works fine for me and everybody else I talked to in our chan :confused:

If nobody here has any idea maybe you can join the Telegram group from my signature, someone there should be able to help :fingers-crossed:

alboz83

Feb 2, 2011
Cagliari
I see that in FF there is a Emui Android P rom. I would try it but i have read that in android p there isn't ramdisk.img so it's impossible to patch ramdisk for root. But with twrp of pretoniano i can flash magisk zip directly, so in this way magisk and root works?

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
I see that in FF there is a Emui Android P rom. I would try it but i have read that in android p there isn't ramdisk.img so it's impossible to patch ramdisk for root. But with twrp of pretoniano i can flash magisk zip directly, so in this way magisk and root works?

I downloaded the files too, but could't find the update data full public file for emui 9.... only the update.zip and the hw zip.... do you know if I can take it from emui 8?

pascua28

Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Realme 7 Pro
Both good and bad. Good because we now know root is possible.
Bad because we don't know when/if Huawei will release the sources and because it seems that it might require a custom kernel.
And we also know that most of the time Huawei's kernel sources are half broken.
Yeah they are half broken. Disabling some huawei Kernel features causes panics

Schindi

Apr 22, 2018
Hello Guys,

I have a Problem with rooting my View 10 EU Version.
I have TWRP and flashed the Magisk Manager 15.41 ZIP. Ater rebooting the device, Magisk Manager is installed on my device.
I also changed the Update Channel to https://goo.gl/jefZKH - then it asks for installation of Magisk 15.4 and to patch the Boot Image. Therefore I copied the Stock Ramdisk as described and it successfully creates the patched_boot image.
After flashing this image in fastboot mode and a reboot, I have no root according to root checker and magisk is asking again for installation when I open it.......

Do you have an glue what could be wrong?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Magisk has officially landed on the lovely Treble enabled Huawei devices! Props to Huawei reaching out and sent me a device for development :)
    Instead of holding it off and wait till the next proper release, I decide to release it here so those willing to root their device can give it a try.

These Huawei Treble devices use an interesting setup: it no longer has a boot and recovery partition, but instead has a kernel partition, a ramdisk partition, and a recovery_ramdisk partition. Both boot and recovery share the same kernel, but with separate ramdisks on separate partitions. Since Magisk modifies the ramdisk in boot images, the patches will have to be applied to the ramdisk partition. This nature will very likely to also slightly change how custom recovery will be installed, my bet is similar to Pixel devices which ships with a full ramdisk image, and should be flashed to the recovery_ramdisk partition.
    This build is only tested with Honor View 10, but it should work with Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro in theory since these devices are very similar.

Enough of the rambling, let's get right into it!

Instructions
    If your device have TWRP support, just directly flash it via TWRP. For devices without TWRP yet (currently all Huawei Treble devices), you can follow the instructions below:
    1. Install latest Magisk Manager from the Official Thread
    2. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Update Channel > Custom, and insert the following URL: https://goo.gl/jefZKH
    3. Follow the instructions of "Install Via Magisk Manager" in the main thread, but instead of providing the boot image (which these devices do NOT have), provide the stock ramdisk.img.
      If you are using EU View 10 with model BKL-L09, you can download the stock ramdisk.img I extracted from official OTAs in the attachments
      If you have stock ramdisk images for other devices, please share them and I'll add them to the OP.
      Make sure you are installing Magisk-v15.4(1541), which is only available through the custom channel you've set in step 2.
    4. Pull the patched image with adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img, and flash the patched ramdisk via fastboot:
      fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
    5. Reboot and you shall have a properly rooted device passing SafetyNet, start playing with some Magisk modules!
    Donation
    https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu
    Wow, that's freaky fast man.. you are wonderful.
    since we don't have official firmware released yet and out of concern I'm asking, is there any chance of bootloop or brick?
    I understand it shouldn't be if we follow steps in OP, but sometimes people miss a step or do something else, so what's the worst can we expect?

So long as you have a backup of your device's ramdisk image, you should be fine. The ramdisk for the Honor View 10 is attached to the OP.
    Volume DOWN and inserting the USB cable goes to fastboot mode!

I flashed the original boot image and I have my phone back. No root yet but I'll try again.

Update: fixed. I have root. It seems adb pull didn't give me a clean file (3 tries, 3 failures). I copied the file another way and it worked. Very happy now.
    Does the ramdisk.img work for indian variants?
    Yes it's working... Just finished installing magisk...so far everything is fine but somehow SafetyNet is not working.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    To install Magisk and gain root in your honor view 10 you have to unlock your bootloader first.

##Please backup your data before proceeding with the process. You will loose all your data if you unlock the bootloader. ##

Please follow below steps to unlock bootloader
    1) Create a Huawei ID on this page https://goo.gl/GkkdxE if you don’t have one already.
    2) After creating a Huawei id, fill out the details.
    3) You will need your phone’s IMEI number, to know that dial * # * # 1357946 # * # * on the dialer app. Fill the required fields and click the Submit button.
    4) Save the unlock code you received.
    5) Now connect your Honor View 10 to the PC with a USB cable.
    6) In the ADB command window, type the following command to boot your Honor View 10 into fastboot mode.

adb reboot bootloader

7) To unlock the bootloader, type the following command and hit Enter. Replace key with the unlock key you’ve previously saved. For example, fastboot oem unlock 44801904392841

fastboot oem unlock [unlock key]

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk