Thanks Meter: 186

By Xstop, Senior Member on 16th November 2010, 07:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th October 2012, 12:30 AM |#151  
Flag Columbia, SC
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
I bought a Captivate to sell, it had a custom ROM that was missing the kernel when I factory reset it.

Was able to do Download mode the correct way (volume up + down and insert USB cable) the first time, tried using an all-in-one Odin flasher off some other lame site, and it pretty much bricked it up. Wasn't able to use the normal Download mode method, but after running across this thread whilst doing some Googling, I ran to RadioShack and created a new tool =D

The silicone sucked getting out from between the wires, but other than that, it worked like a CHARM!

Thank you so much!!!

9th November 2012, 01:30 AM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy Still not working
My captivate is really bricked I cant even see anything in the screen, when I plug it there is not battery charging, not download mode, no recovery no anything.

I did the jig full of faith but it didn't work either! I got black out when flashing a wrong kernal

what can I do???
28th January 2013, 11:58 PM |#153  

More
Little help please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstop

"Layman's iGo Jig" (Solderless)

RadioShack

Subtract $.99, Bought the 1/2 watt resistor, which I did not need.

But YOU will NEED these:

And

Those two items is all you need to make this work, no soldering iron.

Now the reason I purchased the iGo adapter is cause of this guy here: As you can see, there is 6 pins on this thing.
Micro-USB has 5 pin connections. On a hunch, I was hoping all 5 pins were some how connected to the to the 6 pin adapter, so we didn't have to try and solder the resistor to pin 4, usually hidden in most setups.

Now the most difficult part of this whole process, was trying to get the micro-usb apart, which wasn't that hard at all.
Just take your time. I used a razor, scissors, and my teeth, lol. This is one part I didn't take pics, sorry. But try and "skin" (sort of like peeling) the black piece off.
Once that is off, you'll see a white plastic piece also around it, "skin" that one off too.
Once the white plastic piece is off.
The micro-usb connector and the 6 pin board is held together with a silicone compound that is bonded to the wires.
SLOWLY start picking the silicone compound away. It's really not that hard, just takes time.
Once that is done you should have some thing like this:

Now take your resistors and connect them in series: These are again, 100k resistor x 3. Should look like:

Now let's take a close up of the micro-usb connector. I don't know exactly which is which but I do know that both are pin 4 and 5!

Look at how long they are...that's what makes them special. Pin 4 is not hidden!

Since you got this far now just stick that bad boy in (please make sure the phone is turned off).
I should of cleaned up the wires but I was sort of in a rush:
VERY IMPORTANT: Don't let the other wires touch the connectors to the usb!

That image is with the screen facing me.

Now put in your battery, and take your resistors that you made and connect one end to pin 4 and the other to pin 5, not necessarily in that order.
Make sure you hold the resistors to the pin for at least 3 sec.

Viola!!! DOWNLOAD MODE!!

This was a quick fix for a jig that I needed to get MY phone working without soldering iron, and it worked. The hardest thing so far that I read about making a jig is getting to pin 4 that is usually not being used and hidden. At least this way it's easier to access.
I will end up buying another one and re-making my iGo jig to a more sturdier standard.

By all means, I am not a expertise in this field. I just been reading alot of threads and learn as I go.
So I am sure anyone can make this jig to revive their bricked phone. Trust me, if I can make it, so can you.

*edit: But if you have the chance, please pick up the 1k resistor also (not shown).
100k x3 and 1k resistor, this is the exact recommended ohms to make this work. 301k > It's the right way.

*I do recommend for those that have successfully done this, to (learn) solder the end pieces together. Pin 4 and 5 are long enough so it shouldn't really be that hard.
You won't have the tedious task of trying to manually connecting the two ends every time you want to go into download mode.
Plus I believe basic soldering skill is a must if you like tweaking or a hobbyist of electronic components.*

All the images were take after I was able to get it in download mode. Was not really thinking about doing this write-up, until after the last picture.
Hoping it may help the community one way or the other, and save some $$$

Want to start off saying that I love your instructibles. Very helpful and thorough. I've come upon a bit of a problem tho. I had followed your method as well as others to the T. Including the exact same parts and all. Sadly my resistors cost $1.49 each. bleh. So when i try to connect it, nothing shows up after the 2-3 seconds i'm supposed to make contact. So I followed all the steps that you had listed, but to my dismay, it still doesn't work. I also tried the stripping of a micro usb dongle. It still wont react to the resistors. I'm sure i make connection with the copper strips but not sure why its still not working. Any ideas? Here is some information regarding my phone. Samsung galaxy S vibrant. Soft-bricked (shows computer and phone with caution sign in the middle). Bought the 100k x 3 resistors from radioshack. as well as the 1k resistors just in case. Not sure what it could be but any helpful replies would be appreciated.
30th January 2013, 08:03 PM |#154  
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,772

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlmarkielx

Want to start off saying that I love your instructibles. Very helpful and thorough. I've come upon a bit of a problem tho. I had followed your method as well as others to the T. Including the exact same parts and all. Sadly my resistors cost $1.49 each. bleh. So when i try to connect it, nothing shows up after the 2-3 seconds i'm supposed to make contact. So I followed all the steps that you had listed, but to my dismay, it still doesn't work. I also tried the stripping of a micro usb dongle. It still wont react to the resistors. I'm sure i make connection with the copper strips but not sure why its still not working. Any ideas? Here is some information regarding my phone. Samsung galaxy S vibrant. Soft-bricked (shows computer and phone with caution sign in the middle). Bought the 100k x 3 resistors from radioshack. as well as the 1k resistors just in case. Not sure what it could be but any helpful replies would be appreciated.

Please don't double post, I replied to your other one.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWolf56 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BWolf56 Ad-Free
6th March 2013, 03:22 AM |#155  
Flag cornfield
Thanks Meter: 59

More
proactive jig building
This thread actually inspired me to build my jig before my cappy arrived in the mail.
8th March 2013, 12:29 PM |#156  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 14

More
+1

I definitely enjoyed this one. I'll have to try it as a project and report back. It's just a matter of time before I brick this poor phone...
10th March 2014, 06:35 PM |#157  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hey, I'm trying to do the USB JiG for my Sprint galaxy S 3 which I believe is hard bricked, it doesn't go into download mode, doesn't turn on or recovery, the computer recognizes the phone as QHSUSB_DLOAD, this happened after I tried installing the Avatar Rom , I bought a 5 pack of 100-0 Ohm carbon film resistors at 1/2 watt, will these work?
6th November 2015, 02:50 AM |#158  

More
can i use it for china clone MTK 6575 my phone is completely dead not detect on PC not work with volume up +power and other key combination
8th November 2018, 06:40 AM |#159  

More
Igo
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)