How to root the Droid 2

Search This thread

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
All credit for the binary goes to Sebastian Krahmer at http://c-skills.blogspot.com/. Please see fit to donate via Paypal to 7-4-3-C@web.de

If you want a simpler 'one-click' process, go to this thread: Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
- Download attached archive
- Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
- Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
- Open command prompt
- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to c:/Droid2Root
- adb kill-server
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

I'm sure there are certain steps that could be streamlined or eliminated, so please feel free to make a suggestion and I'll edit the post.

Additional thanks to @rainabba and AllDroid.org for their excellent Droid X rooting tutorial, which assisted me greatly in this process.

Attachments

• Droid2Root.rar
    954.1 KB · Views: 51,669
Last edited:

jerseyh22accord

Jun 5, 2010
I'm new to doing this all the adb way.

When you say extract to a directory what do you mean to extract. After it downloads the achive files its done.....

i understand the rest of the commands but im lost there

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
Right click the downloaded archive and "extract files". You need to do this so adb can push them to the phone.

jerseyh22accord

Jun 5, 2010
I'm retarded i didnt realize it was attached to the post, i thought it was what adb downloaded when i first opened it cause it called them archives.

GSletta

Aug 25, 2010
Boston, MA
cannot access

I got as far as pushing super user su and busy box onto my phone but it says that system in read only.. how do i fix this?

csscmaster3

Aug 25, 2010
Hello,

I am following your directions and when I get to the "adb push Superuser.apk" step I receive the following error:

"failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system"

I get this same error for the other adb push steps that follow.

Edit: To verify, I get a # shell.

Edit 2: I tried pushing the Superuser.apk to /data/local/tmp then cp to /system/app/, this also popped up a read-only file system error.

Last edited:

jerseyh22accord

Jun 5, 2010
I'm currently trying it.

I have a 64 bit driver on my computer that i used to use for my D1 but it doesn't recognize my D2 when doing adb devices and i cant install the 32 bit driver

eleventy

Aug 9, 2010
I'm currently trying it.

I have a 64 bit driver on my computer that i used to use for my D1 but it doesn't recognize my D2 when doing adb devices and i cant install the 32 bit driver
Don't know if it will help you, but if it's anything like the DInc, you could just use the SDK's drivers and add a few device identifier lines to the INF file before installing them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credit for the binary goes to Sebastian Krahmer at http://c-skills.blogspot.com/. Please see fit to donate via Paypal to 7-4-3-C@web.de

If you want a simpler 'one-click' process, go to this thread: Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
    - Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
    - Download attached archive
    - Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
    - Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
    - Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
    - Open command prompt
    - cd c:/Droid2Root
    - adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    - adb push su /sdcard/su
    - adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to c:/Droid2Root
    - adb kill-server
    - adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    - cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    - cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    - cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    - mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    - exit
    - exit

I'm sure there are certain steps that could be streamlined or eliminated, so please feel free to make a suggestion and I'll edit the post.

Additional thanks to @rainabba and AllDroid.org for their excellent Droid X rooting tutorial, which assisted me greatly in this process.
    waiting for a recovery, glad to see its rooted
    can someone point me in the right direction. after running doroot.bin, everything gets pushed to the phone but when the adb server restarts and tries to reconect, it cant because adb devices shows that the device is "offline". and the only way to get the device back to "device" state is to reboot the phone, which reverses everything that was done prior

EDIT: i found out a solution. I failed to realise that i was on the gingerbread update, I used this and it worked
    http://www.psouza4.com/droid3/
    ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click application to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)