FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

does playing local files use bandwidth data? i have limited internet data mifi device

368 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By wakkaday, Senior Member on 18th March 2014, 08:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th March 2014, 03:27 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday

how much internet do you think the player will need ? for a movie for example

ok thats good to know, could i play local files and continue browsing on my tablet / macbook for example....

would you reccomend getting one? or is roku streaming stick better

i believe miracast doesnt uses another technology which doesnt use data, but another way of using the internet.

Please download EZCast App from Google Play, it can cast local video,music,pdf,word,excel,PPT to your chromecast and show on TV.

20th March 2014, 09:44 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
i tried this with my chromecast

and it was quite fiddly getting files to play (i could change some files from mkv to mp4 and they played but some files the sound didnt play. however using plex server on mac and i beemed it across it played fine... however i noticed the data took a hit

i was just messing about wiht a few files video and it took around 300mb? it seems its playing over wifi...rather then locally...

am i doing something wrong
12th January 2019, 06:02 AM |#13  
Flag Manila, Philippines
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Casting uses all my home network bandwidth
I can use my Lenovo A7000-a phone to cast to a windows display. It works well. No 3rd party software is used on either the phone or my desktop. However, it consumes my entire (abysmally low - Hey! its the Philippines) 5MBps network bandwidth. No other user on the local home router can access the internet. I would have thought the casting would just be a connection across the router, is this NOT the case? How can I improve this so no other users are affected?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)