[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY

Search This thread

itpromike

Oct 5, 2009
Ok I'm a little confused. I've downloaded the 1 click Odin executable but how do I use this with the updated JH3 firmware that I got from the samsung-firmwares.com site? Do I extract it some place specific? Also, I've unrared the JH3 firmware but there is a .tar in there, should I extract that too?

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Ok I'm a little confused. I've downloaded the 1 click Odin executable but how do I use this with the updated JH3 firmware that I got from the samsung-firmwares.com site? Do I extract it some place specific? Also, I've unrared the JH3 firmware but there is a .tar in there, should I extract that too?

grab the other version of odin from the firmware site.

itpromike

Oct 5, 2009
grab the other version of odin from the firmware site.

Yeah I did figure that part out but I have no idea how to use Odin lol...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks I actually figured it out by one of your other posts in another thread. :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2010
used this on my samsung galaxy s

Hi,

I was able to update my samsung galaxy S with this... but, i thought i should have not!

now, my galaxy S seems to be stuck on the boot image (where it has ATT logo on a white background) and just restarts everytime i guess.

I tried to do several combinations with the keys to hopefully go into download mode again but just couldn't.

please help

Thanks.

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
Hi,

I was able to update my samsung galaxy S with this... but, i thought i should have not!

now, my galaxy S seems to be stuck on the boot image (where it has ATT logo on a white background) and just restarts everytime i guess.

I tried to do several combinations with the keys to hopefully go into download mode again but just couldn't.

please help

Thanks.

*sigh* this is why I agree that it's a good thing the galaxy s phones are in different sub forums. clearly because you keep referring to it as your "galaxy s" (and not "your captivate") and the AT&T logo is new for you, you flashed this firmware meant for the SGH-i897 onto your i9000. This is, quite simply, an absurd mistake that people keep doing.

Don't flash a ROM that wasn't designed for your device. You are in the captivate forums, you've made a mistake that most people can't seem to recover from. Quite simply, meet your new paperweight.

xmarkx88

Aug 17, 2010
hellp... PLEASE.. IM ON MY KNEES.. AND FREAKING OUT

So i am a complete idiot and just bricked a phone yesterday and luckily managed to get it exchanged at att.

The new one is having tons of trouble getting into download mode using the button combinations. I wanted to load the I9000 euro roms as I had successfully done to my previous phone. I did the first step in loading the csc and pda files and accidently forgot to uncheck autoreboot. Anyways... I pulled the battery out before it could reboot. I still couldnt get it into download mode so I booted into the android without applying the second step of the pit fil and the modem file. I am not used to using the sdk so was planning to root and intall a terminal program to "su reboot download"... I tried using the oneclick root to complete the job and it rebooted me into recovery, but apparently since i didnt flash the pit file, my power button doesnt work to access the menu..(volume rocker does).

Now it wont boot into anything except into recovery and I cant do anything about in it.... i have tried everything on oneclick odin instructions and can not get there... is there anything i can do from the sdk to get into download mode... it kind of appears that my phone is recognized when i plug it in cuz windows beeps saying that it recognizes the device...

I THINK I DESPERATELY NEED TO GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE SOMEHOW!!!
I HAVE TRIED EVERY WAY LISTED ON ODIN ONE CLICK

ccherukuri

Aug 9, 2010
For anyone who is on the fence about doing this, don't be scared.

I simply followed the directions from where you turn the phone off, start the update program on the PC, plug in the usb cable, press both volume up and down together, while holding press power and and hold all three buttons until the screen goes off twice, release power but keep holding both volume keys until the download screen appears.

From here the update program showed com4 connected with id4 and I clicked start. It only took a few minutes and the phone is now back to stock. The program will announce when it is complete and there is a box on the screen that will say reset. This is your indication that it has completed successfully. It did do an update on first boot and once it rebooted I now have a stock phone without root.

I did not use master clear, just clicked on start.

Thanks a lot naplesbill, after i read your post the entire process took my only 5 mins and it was so easy. Also, thanks a lot for the OP as well.

For all who are still unsuccessful with this, remember that you SHOULD release the power button after the screen goes of twice and immediately it will go to download mode and from that point it only take couple of mins once u have the odin open.

Good luck guys , i back to stock rom.

thisguymo

Aug 18, 2007
I can confirm that this fixed the issue with my phone showing the Att 3g video clip, then the galaxy clip and shutting off. Thanks!!!

LGSilva

May 7, 2007
Okay, I think I really bricked this phone.

History:
~~~~~
I was using JH2, flashed to JM3 (i9000) + i897 kernel and it was working just fine until I decided to try "modaco's JP3" because of the "unrestricted bootloader" but I didn't like it then I flashed JH3... I flashed it and before the AT&T world phone screen now I see the GT-i9000 screen as well but I was able to boot normally.

When things went bad:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I decided to update my kernel to the 1.2oc version so typed "adb reboot download <enter>" but forgot to open odin first... I just ignored and opened odin.
Odin started but would not go past "flashing zImage" or something like that and there was no blue bar on my download screen.
In a very dumb moment I decided to pull the battery and do the proper way: "odin THEN download mode"
I was used to get the phone - ! - computer screen then download mode but this time I'm stuck on that screen. It flashes 2 times but no download mode.

Conclusion:
~~~~~~~
My guess is the i9000 rom changed the sequence to enter the download mode and due to the lack of a d-pad I will never be able to get it. I will need to get a new phone... :(

FFJASON1

Jun 11, 2008
I have spent years flashing windows mobile and more recently blackberry ROM and have been lurking in XDA for a long time. I have read and searched through the forum before finally posting my problem and question. I am trying to flash from the stock ROM to one of the newer beta ROM's.

When I open the Odin EXE on my windows 7 computer the top half of the program in nothing but blank fields. I read posts that say to insert different files in different fields. But I do not have this option. I have tried running as an administrator, and in XP compatibility mode. When I connect my phone the program does recognize it on the USB com port.

Thanks in advanced.

bobbylx

Sep 12, 2009
Holly Springs, NC

History:
~~~~~
I was using JH2, flashed to JM3 (i9000) + i897 kernel and it was working just fine until I decided to try "modaco's JP3" because of the "unrestricted bootloader" but I didn't like it then I flashed JH3... I flashed it and before the AT&T world phone screen now I see the GT-i9000 screen as well but I was able to boot normally.

When things went bad:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I decided to update my kernel to the 1.2oc version so typed "adb reboot download <enter>" but forgot to open odin first... I just ignored and opened odin.
Odin started but would not go past "flashing zImage" or something like that and there was no blue bar on my download screen.
In a very dumb moment I decided to pull the battery and do the proper way: "odin THEN download mode"
I was used to get the phone - ! - computer screen then download mode but this time I'm stuck on that screen. It flashes 2 times but no download mode.

Conclusion:
~~~~~~~
My guess is the i9000 rom changed the sequence to enter the download mode and due to the lack of a d-pad I will never be able to get it. I will need to get a new phone... :(

I think you are still in good shape. The i9000 rom or kernel, which ever one I don't know, changes the download mode key sequence. I found that pressing the down volume button only and then powering on is it's sequence.
In your case, I would pull the battery, plug in the USB cable, hold the down volume button and then put the battery back in, or some variation of that.

Hope that works for you.

bobbylx

Sep 12, 2009
Holly Springs, NC
I have spent years flashing windows mobile and more recently blackberry ROM and have been lurking in XDA for a long time. I have read and searched through the forum before finally posting my problem and question. I am trying to flash from the stock ROM to one of the newer beta ROM's.

When I open the Odin EXE on my windows 7 computer the top half of the program in nothing but blank fields. I read posts that say to insert different files in different fields. But I do not have this option. I have tried running as an administrator, and in XP compatibility mode. When I connect my phone the program does recognize it on the USB com port.

Thanks in advanced.

Yeah, that is probably the One-Click version. Does it say Start and Master Clear at the bottom? If so, that is pre-packaged to flash you back to stock. You want the stand alone Odin 3 to flash individual packages. When you have that, on the right you will see buttons for PDA, CSC, PIT, etc, that is where you click and choose the file you want to flash.

FFJASON1

Jun 11, 2008
Yeah, that is probably the One-Click version. Does it say Start and Master Clear at the bottom? If so, that is pre-packaged to flash you back to stock. You want the stand alone Odin 3 to flash individual packages. When you have that, on the right you will see buttons for PDA, CSC, PIT, etc, that is where you click and choose the file you want to flash.

Thank you sir. I was in fact using the one-click version apparently. I made an assumption that the links for Odin were the same on this thread as well as the ROM thread. I have found the correct download for the stand alone version. Now off to flash!

LGSilva

May 7, 2007
I think you are still in good shape. The i9000 rom or kernel, which ever one I don't know, changes the download mode key sequence. I found that pressing the down volume button only and then powering on is it's sequence.
In your case, I would pull the battery, plug in the USB cable, hold the down volume button and then put the battery back in, or some variation of that.

Hope that works for you.

Yes! My phone is back! The key sequence was: VOL UP + PWR then after the first blink VOL DOWN and there you go: Download Mode :D

MC Mate

Aug 27, 2010
pllllllllllleassee helpppp !!! I had put the phone in Download , started Odin One click all ok , then the phone got black screen and the coputer disconected the usb, on odin said in green restart or something. i took cable out and since then the phone is only AT&T flashing , if i insert cable it stops and does nothing please helppppppppppppppp i had it only for a day :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( i am going crazy if it's broken for goodddd

i read it alll so MY PHONE IS PRETTY MUCH DONE !!! It's Galaxy S and i see that GOD hates me... i see that others here did the stupid thing of instaling this on Galaxy S , i don;t know if i can change it at guaranty... AT&T in Europe i don't think so... so i probably lost 400 euro for a stupid thing, THE USB is ded so i can't get in the phone so i will start to cry now, if there is a solution please help...

Last edited:

jollins

Feb 3, 2010
Davis, CA
www.skattertech.com
I figure I'd add my experience...

I was having problems with Odin stalling at "DO NOT TURN OFF DEVICE!!" or "File analysis"

What solved it was having one-click Odin open BEFORE plugging in my Captivate (in download mode)

jhernand1102

Sep 11, 2007
SF Bay Area
pllllllllllleassee helpppp !!! I had put the phone in Download , started Odin One click all ok , then the phone got black screen and the coputer disconected the usb, on odin said in green restart or something. i took cable out and since then the phone is only AT&T flashing , if i insert cable it stops and does nothing please helppppppppppppppp i had it only for a day :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( i am going crazy if it's broken for goodddd

i read it alll so MY PHONE IS PRETTY MUCH DONE !!! It's Galaxy S and i see that GOD hates me... i see that others here did the stupid thing of instaling this on Galaxy S , i don;t know if i can change it at guaranty... AT&T in Europe i don't think so... so i probably lost 400 euro for a stupid thing, THE USB is ded so i can't get in the phone so i will start to cry now, if there is a solution please help...

I hate to say it but I think you've done the one thing that can actually brick these phone's...Maybe you can check on the Galaxy forums to see if anyone has been able to recover from this mistake..good luck..

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
I hate to say it but I think you've done the one thing that can actually brick these phone's...Maybe you can check on the Galaxy forums to see if anyone has been able to recover from this mistake..good luck..

+1

That's why you should learn to read the forums. If, as a captivate user, I browse the i9000 forum, I don't touch anything I'm not certain I can recover from. If you weren't sure about what model phone you had or what forum you were in, then this would probably have happened sooner or later.

This is also a terrible downfall of these various one click tools. People just don't double (and triple check) to make sure what they're doing. Unfortunately for you, the other poster is right and you now have a very expensive, plastic paperweight

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i897

kismmisk

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks you so much! I was having problem of Download mode on but ODIn not doing anything...I just closed ODin and followed the instructions from Naplesbill

They are on page 11 of this thread ..I copying them over for you guys

For anyone who is on the fence about doing this, don't be scared.

I simply followed the directions from where you turn the phone off, start the update program on the PC, plug in the usb cable, press both volume up and down together, while holding press power and and hold all three buttons until the screen goes off twice, release power but keep holding both volume keys until the download screen appears.

From here the update program showed com4 connected with id4 and I clicked start. It only took a few minutes and the phone is now back to stock. The program will announce when it is complete and there is a box on the screen that will say reset. This is your indication that it has completed successfully. It did do an update on first boot and once it rebooted I now have a stock phone without root.

I did not use master clear, just clicked on start.

Last edited:

jimtastic

Aug 28, 2010
Sorry to throw out an often asked total n00b question, but i wasn't sure where to post it, and even though I know i've read it, I can't find it.

I've got odin (not the one click) i've got the jh3 tar.. my question is.. what do i do from here. With the pit, and the pda, phone, csc, etc? Thanks, I've never used odin before, and its looking kind of scary compared to rooting my phone.

---edit
Do i need a pit file? I don't have one..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: "MASTER CLEAR" WILL WIPE YOUR BUILT-IN STORAGE!
    I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device.

What is this?:
    If you see the "phone+!+computer" screen, you need this! If you deleted something you shouldn't have and can't get it back on your phone, this is probably your best bet. This is the Odin3 One-Click Downloader for restoring your phone from a completely software bricked state, or for whatever purpose you see fit to use it for. You don't have to change any settings, it is all pre-packaged and ready to go.

If this has helped you out, please consider buying me a beer!

How to use:

1. Download and install the correct drivers below (mac and linux don't need drivers)
    2. Plug in your usb cable to your phone and computer
    3. Open Odin
    4. Enter Download Mode (see below)
    5. Click Start
    6. Be Patient, the first boot will take a while

How to use Master Clear:

1. Boot your phone up normally with usb debugging on
    2. Click Master Clear

How to enter download mode:
    Method 1:(ADB - from recovery or normally booted with usb debugging on)
    1. Open a cmd prompt/console/shell
    2. adb shell
    3. adb reboot download
    Method 2:(KEY COMBO)
    • Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
    • Insert the battery
    • Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power
    Method 3:(KEY COMBO)
    • Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
    • Insert the battery
    • Hold both Volume buttons (from i9000 just down, don't touch the power button)
    • Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

Drivers:
    Windows 64bit
    Windows 32bit

I897UCJF6 - Odin3 One-Click Downloader:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0w2y31maz8mdom4
    http://www.multiupload.com/XAZUYNXSC1

The internal beta's are NOT one-click, please read the linked threads
    UPDATE: I897UCJH2 (Internal BETA)
    You can get it here

UPDATE: I897UCJH3 (Internal BETA)
    You can get it here
    I uploaded this on my Fileserve account if anyone needs a working link:

http://www.fileserve.com/file/emnCn2j
    Did it stay on "File analysis" for a long time?

if you're getting that, quit and unplug the phone, take out the battery so it's completely dead (and take out the sim card while you're at it)

then put back just the battery and put the phone into download mode (volume down + power)

then run odin and THEN plug in the phone. you have to do it in the right order otherwise it gets stuck on file analysis. go figure.
    Right-clicked the app and chose "Run as administrator"? I can't think of anything else other than to try CP3P0LOL's odin 2.1 package, which is safer anyway, because it includes the 3 button combo fix.

Tried the administrator route... no go. I'll give the other way a shot tomorrow since I've got an early start to the day.

Thanks!
    Your phone is likely not bricked. Get or create a jig to get your phone into download mode.

The rest is easy: running the Odin package in this thread, rooting your phone, and installing CWM are all the steps you need to install CyanogenMod.

The root files and CWM files are attached for when you reach that point. Each should be renamed to update.zip and placed in the SD card root directory of your phone. Reboot into recovery (easiest is via adb reboot recovery but that requires a fair amount of configuration to get working) and select the reinstall packages option both times; root first, then CWM.

You don't need to root first, just use the cwm zip then flash whatever Rom you want, the Rom will be rooted, rooting before installing cwm to simply flash a Rom is like wiping before you poop