[Outdated] How to unlock and root your new Honor 8x. Instructions inside

Search This thread
Oct 9, 2018
Ask the guy in my local Huawei Service Center --> he told me that they haven't the technical possibilities:crying:

Speak to the manager, ask them you want one for "development purposes". If he says he doesn't know, tell him to contact his manager/head office, also you can show him this article: https://www.androidauthority.com/honor-india-bootloader-unlocking-933231/. Print that email and show it to them. It should work at service centers outside of India/Asia, I saw some people on Reddit saying they had success at their local centers.

Last edited:

hackintosh5

Sep 15, 2017
Yep, I strongly believe every seller was getting their codes from service centers in India and other places in Asia. Now Huawei has killed that method most probably.

Edit: Looks like FunkyHuawei has stopped too! Their page now says "Sorry, bootloader code processing is currently not available."

We have to wait for a new method to be discovered. :(
Already done. Check the Guides and Discussion section in Honor 9 Lite

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Speak to the manager, ask them you want one for "development purposes". If he says he doesn't know, tell him to contact his manager/head office, also you can show him this article: https://www.androidauthority.com/honor-india-bootloader-unlocking-933231/. Print that email and show it to them. It should work at service centers outside of India/Asia, I saw some people on Reddit saying they had success at their local centers.
I've heard it's definitely available in Russia and India. Others idk

Oct 9, 2018
Already done. Check the Guides and Discussion section in Honor 9 Lite

Thanks buddy, I just had one question, about this part: " Downgrade firmware to June patch". How is this possible on models released after October 2018? All Honor 8x devices shipped with 8.1 and the September security patch, there's no older firmware for them. I searched on androidhost.ru.

Last edited:

hackintosh5

Sep 15, 2017
Thanks buddy, I just had one question, about this part: " Downgrade firmware to June patch". How is this possible on models released after October 2018? All Honor 8x devices shipped with 8.1 and the September security patch, there's no older firmware for them. I searched on androidhost.ru.

Ahh, that could be a problem lol. In that case the only way is via testpoint to flash twrp to erecovery_ramdi. That required DC Phoenix and might not even work

laijirong

Aug 2, 2018
Sichuan
www.cutim.top
Unable to pull block device,Permission Denied.
“HWJSN-HM:/ $ ls /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvme -alh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2019-02-11 20:40 /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvme -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
HWJSN-HM:/ $ ls -alh /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
brw------- 1 root root 179, 8 2019-02-12 08:45 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8“

I see that on this page,use Google translate :https://www.52pojie.cn/thread-816065-1-1.html

hackintosh5

Sep 15, 2017
Unable to pull block device,Permission Denied.
“HWJSN-HM:/ $ ls /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvme -alh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2019-02-11 20:40 /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/nvme -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
HWJSN-HM:/ $ ls -alh /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
brw------- 1 root root 179, 8 2019-02-12 08:45 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8“

I see that on this page,use Google translate :https://www.52pojie.cn/thread-816065-1-1.html
You need root to access nvme.

JavierArends

Feb 1, 2011
Maracaibo
Huawei suck.

Really i have to pay 122$ for code unlock.?
The phone is now on. Ebay 215$ global ver.

This is stolen. State unites have a true on denied buy a Huawei phones. Now every body have to pay 122$ for unlock.

Yoi have a phone but is no mine? Then. Huawei is crazy.

Reactions: ALIFG

xzyk

Sep 6, 2006
Huawei suck.

Really i have to pay 122$ for code unlock.?
The phone is now on. Ebay 215$ global ver.

This is stolen. State unites have a true on denied buy a Huawei phones. Now every body have to pay 122$ for unlock.

Yoi have a phone but is no mine? Then. Huawei is crazy.

I think huawei/honor answer would be... 'if you want BL unlock then don't buy huawei/honor phones'.. That's what I'm doing.. Plenty of other chinese phones available that allow BL unlock, xiaomi, umidigi, ulefone etc...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    January 2023 Edit: The guide below is now outdated. The technique still works, but some of the steps have changed, and may not reflect your experience when rooting. Proceed with caution.

Hello XDA. I have spent the past couple of weeks struggling with unlocking and rooting this awesome device. After some researching I have decided to put this guide together after stumbling on a lot of fake guides on Google that don't work for the Honor 8x. I hope this helps you!

Step 1: Purchase a bootloader code.
    Unfortunately, since Huawei stopped providing unlock codes, there is no way around this requirement. Some older guides suggest DC Unlocker, but this does NOT work with newer Huawei devices, and there are no known exploits to get around this. I have provided some options below (which have been tested by XDA members). All you need to do is provide them your IMEI, which can be found under Settings > System > About Phone.​
    FunkyHuawei: https://funkyhuawei.club/buycodes [No longer providing service]​
    Global Unlocking Solutions: [Website gone - 404 Error]​
    Alternate solution: Try asking a Huawei Service center near you. https://www.androidauthority.com/honor-india-bootloader-unlocking-933231/
    Confirmed working at some locations outside of Asia.​

Step 2: Download ADB.
    And unzip it to somewhere on your computer.​

Step 3: Setup your phone
    Go to Settings > System > About Phone, and tap "Build Number" 7 times to unlock Developer mode. Go back to System, and tap Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.​

Step 4: Unlocking your device
    Connect your phone to your PC via USB. Make sure you select "Transfer files" when the message pops up on your phone, and select Trust this computer when the debugging warning pops up. Open your ADB folder, hold Shift and right-click, then select "Open Powershell window" or "Open command prompt". In the next window, type "adb devices" and make sure your device is listed (If not, check to make sure USB debugging is enabled, or reconnect the USB cable.)​
    After that, type "adb reboot bootloader". Once that is done, type "fastboot oem unlock xxx" (replace xxx with the unique code you purchased in Step 1). Warning! This will format your phone and return it to stock configuration. Your phone now has an unlocked bootloader!​

Step 5: Install Magisk Manager.
    Download and install the Magisk Manager app on your phone. APK here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v6.0.1/MagiskManager-v6.0.1.apk

Step 6: Flashing twrp and Magisk
    Download the latest twrp image: https://dl.twrp.me/kirin/ and place it into your ADB folder.​
    Then download this magisk ZIP: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v17.1/Magisk-v17.1.zip and place it on a spare Micro SD card, and put that card in the device.​
    Reconnect your device to the PC, again open a Powershell/Command Prompt (as in Step 4).​
    Type "adb reboot bootloader", then type "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-kirin.img". This should complete successfully. Turn off your device by holding down the power button.​
    Disconnect the phone from USB (do not skip this part otherwise you are unable to boot into recovery). Then hold "Volume UP" and "Power" until the blue Honor logo shows up. Release both buttons. You should see a Teamwin logo and twrp will load.​
    This version of twrp is a work in progress so the touchscreen does not work (this is currently being worked on by the folks at twrp builder https://twrpbuilder.github.io/. As soon as they fix it, I will update this guide!). A temporary fix is by using an OTG Cable https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51HI4XhstKL._SX425_.jpg and a standard USB mouse. Use it to swipe-right and select "Install". You might need to "Select storage" and choose your SD card. Find the Magisk zip and install it, then reboot.​

Your Honor 8x phone is now rooted!

If this guide was helpful, please consider donating! Bitcoin: 1FPzDYUrQmQMrHbv2ZeAEe883KVNZ8zPV4
    Thanks.

Edit: I will provide some instructions below if you wish to do a ota update to a newer version of EMUI (one of which was released recently for the Honor 8x).
    • * The root must be removed, and phone restored to factory stock before doing a ota update. The bootloader will remain unlocked (no change).
    • * Stock factory firmware currently can be restored in the Huawei eRecovery by restarting your phone, then on the "Your device has been unlocked" screen, press "Up" for three seconds. From here, you can download the latest version (This will format the phone). After updating, you must re-root from Steps 3 to 6 above (you can skip step 4).
    • * There should be an easier method to update without formatting, but the current version of twrp causes issues if you try and flash the update. (Error 9, as reported by some users)
      I will update the guide when this is fixed.
    That's what I am saying. Use hcu-client to unlock the bootloader
    Did u try??? Supported list doesn't contain Honor 8X...only 8x MAX
    Telegram is faster for me, but XDA works too
    I have figured it out why I was getting the partition error when trying to flash recovery_ramdisk, I had to relock and oem unlock again:
    (1) fastboot oem relock <unlock code>
    (2) fastboot oem unlock <unlock code>
    (3) fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-kirin.img

The twrp-kirin.img is from OP's post and is working again for me.

Did you do it? Do you have the patched image for .150?
    I did not try, I assumed it would work. I can confirm that twrp-kirin.img works ok even on latest .150 update, granted you need an OTG USB cable and mouse as there's no touch support yet.

Now I'm really hoping someone will contribute and upload a dump of Honor 8x JSN-L21 Oeminfo zip, waiting patiently.
    Hello !

So I've bought my 8x yesterday and have rooted it this morning. I had the unlock code last night. Everything went fine. Xposed, Titanium and Xprivacy are working good. All bloatwares from honor and all Google apps are now frozen, the phone is smoother and some more ram is free.

The phone is beautiful (I have the blue one), battery life seems to be very good and EMUI is not bad - but I'm waiting to test future custom roms.

Thanks again for your step by step method !
    Why are people of global unlocking solutions spamming here? Is it sponsored by them?