Search This thread

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]2nd generation Kindle Fires[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How can I tell if I have a 2nd generation Kindle Fire?[/SIZE]
For HD models the answer should be pretty obvious, but the KF2 has nearly the exact same hardware configuration as the original. Short of opening the device, the only way to tell for sure is by checking the software version. Devices running a software version of 6.3.2 or earlier is a 1st generation Kindle Fire. All other versions belong to 2nd generation Kindle Fires.
[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the most important thing to know about the 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
The 2nd generation Kindle Fires are running on OMAP4 HS processors with “M-Shield” turned on. What that means is ANY alteration to certain partition images containing digitally signed headers (with one exception) will result in the OMAP ROM halting the boot process and the resulting “brick” will be irreparable by anyone but Amazon. For more information, or just for an interesting read, go here: New Kindle Fires are locked
[SIZE=+1]Q3: What partition images contain these signed headers?[/SIZE]
The xloader, bootloader, recovery, and boot (kernel) partition images all have signed headers. Any attempt at installing custom versions of these partition images by means of traditional methods to modify the device will result in the aforementioned irreparable “brick”.
[SIZE=+1]Q4: How do I create a partition image with a signed header that can be used on the 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
You can't. Ignoring the fact that the signed header must have the exact same 64Kb signature that Amazon uses in the factory, the software used to produce this signature is not available to the general public, but only to “high volume wireless OEMs and ODMs”.
[SIZE=+1]Q5: You mentioned “one exception” to installing custom partition images? Could you elaborate on this?[/SIZE]
While the “M-Shield” technology for OMAP HS processors is pretty robust, the same ccouldn't necessarily be said for Amazon's software. The stock Kindle Fire bootloaders from software updates previous to 8.3.0 (KFHD8.9), 7.3.0 (KFHD7), and 10.3.0 (KF2) have an exploitable hole in the boot process which allows the installation of a 2nd bootloader (on the system partition) and unsigned custom recovery & boot (kernel) images, without much fear of doing irreparable harm, but the actual bootloader must still remain stock. It should be noted that stock Kindle Fire bootloaders since the 8.3.0 (KFHD8.9), 7.3.0 (KFHD7), and 10.3.0 (KF2) updates have this hole patched and any attempt to install the 2nd bootloader along with unsigned recovery & boot images WILL BRICK THE DEVICE.
[SIZE=+1]Q6: How will I know what version of the stock bootloader is installed on my device?[/SIZE]
There is no way to confirm with all certainty what bootloader version is installed on the device, but a very good indicator to look for is the software version itself. Software versions prior to 8.1.4 (KFHD8.9), 7.2.3 (KFHD7), and 10.2.4 (KF2) have bootloaders that can be exploited. Everything beyond that must be replaced with one from a previous software update version.
[SIZE=+1]Q7: My device is running a software version with a stock bootloader that cannot be exploited (or I am not sure). How can I install the 2nd bootloader for running custom ROMs and recovery?[/SIZE]
Use fastboot to flash a signed stock bootloader from a previous software version. It should be noted that this is very risky to do. Sudden losses or surges of power, accidental unplugging of the USB cable, or flashing a bad download can potentially brick the device, for good. Always check md5s on all bootloader downloads, make sure you have a good charge, and keep all small children at a respectable distance.
[SIZE=+1]Q8: Where can I find the 2nd bootloader and information on how to install it?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q9: What can I do to restore my device if the 2nd bootloader and custom recovery is not installed?[/SIZE]
Use fastboot to restore saved partition images from or for your particular device.
[SIZE=+1]Q10: How do I save my partition images to restore later if needed?[/SIZE]
For HD models, there is a script created by kinfauns that will do the work for you, but it will not work properly for the KF2 if the partition layout isn't the same. Regardless of what device you own, this can easily be done on any rooted device using 'dd' to save those partitions to the sdcard, then transfer them to your computer:
Code:
adb shell su -c “dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0pX of=/sdcard/<filename>.img”
...where 'X' will be a number 1-13 (depending on partition layout) and '<filename>' will be the name of that partition. You can get a list of partition names and corresponding numbers with the following command:
Code:
adb shell su -c “ls -l /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name
Use 'adb pull...' to transfer the images to your computer for safe keeping, and avoid trying to save the userdata or sdcard partitions.
[SIZE=+1]Q11: How do I restore a saved partition in fastboot?[/SIZE]
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash <partition_name> <partition_name>.img
...where '<partition_name>.img' should be the full path to the appropriately named partition image located on your computer.
[SIZE=+1]Q12: Where can I get saved partition images for my device if I haven't previously saved them myself?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q13: How do I restore my device if the 2nd bootloader and custom recovery is installed?[/SIZE]
Generally speaking, most any problem can be resolved by reinstalling a ROM while being sure to wipe data (factory reset) first.
[SIZE=+1]Q14: How will I know if I have a bricked 2nd generation Kindle Fire that cannot be restored?[/SIZE]
The device will not show any outward signs of life; no display, no sound, and no LED. The device may still get warm when plugged in or turned on and Windows users may see an OMAP4 device in the device manager. Again, short of sending it back to Amazon, there isn't anything that can be done.
[SIZE=+1]Q15: What about the 'usbboot' method used on 1st generation Kindle Fires for replacing a malfunctioning bootloader? Could something similar be implemented for 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
Not likely. The 'usbboot' method used to install the xloader, bootloader, and custom recovery on the 1st generation Kindle Fires is different for 2nd generation devices. The most significant difference being the USB loader used to initially flash these images must also have a digitally signed header. As explained by Pokey9000, short of finding an exploit in the OMAP ROM code (unlikely) or somehow acquiring the appropriately signed USB boot tools used by Amazon to flash the bootloader in the factory (even less likely) it will probably never work.
[SIZE=+1]Q16: How will I know if my 2nd generation Kindle Fire can be restored?[/SIZE]
Generally speaking, any device that will power on and show at least something on the display, will give you access to fastboot, thus the ability to restore saved partition images, and in effect the device. Many times this will require the use of a factory cable, so in some cases, owners of the KFHD8.9 will be out of luck.
[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I access fastboot mode on 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
There are 3 methods currently used for accessing fastboot mode on the 2nd generation Kindle Fires. Depending on the model, one or more of these methods may not work.
  • For all devices, entering “reboot bootloader” in the shell as the root user should reboot the device into fastboot mode.
  • On HD models, entering a fastboot command that waits for a handshake from the device (i.e. <waiting for device>”) such as “fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product” and rebooting the device will usually enable fastboot mode when the device reboots.
  • On the KFHD7 and KF2, a factory cable can be used to access fastboot mode by plugging it into the device after it has been powered down.
[SIZE=+1]Q18: My device, when booted, displays a red or orange screen and does not respond to fastboot commands. What happened?[/SIZE]
You probably tried to install the 2nd bootloader and custom recovery without making sure the bootloader you're running is the the unpatched version from a previous update. The red screen, or “Wall of Fire” as Amazon calls it, is displayed when the digital signatures don't match, as would be the case when installing custom recovery on a device with a patched bootloader. A factory cable is needed to get into fastboot so those partitions can be restored to the original signed versions. Since the factory cable doesn't work on the KFHD8.9, owners of these devices may be out of luck.
[SIZE=+1]Q19: What is a factory cable? What is it used for? How do I use it?[/SIZE]
A factory cable, not to be confused with the OEM USB cable that comes with the Kindle Fire, is a USB cable made to emulate a Motorola factory programming cable. With the some devices, it is an easy way to access fastboot mode, especially when no other options are available. To use it, while plugged into your computer, simply plug it into a your device once it has been powered down.
[SIZE=+1]Q20: Where can I find information on making or purchasing a factory cable?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q21: How will I know when my device is in fastboot mode?[/SIZE]
It will say “Fastboot” on the display
[SIZE=+1]Q22: I have access to fastboot mode, but fastboot commands won't work (prompt sits at <waiting for device>). What's wrong?[/SIZE]
Your USB/device drivers aren't configured properly.​
[SIZE=+1]Q23: Where can I find information on how to properly install the drivers?[/SIZE]

Note: While those tutorials are made for the original Kindle Fires in mind, the information is still the same in regards to installing and configuring USB device drivers.
[SIZE=+1]Q24: I've read all the tutorials and tried various different tools, but I'm still unable to get my drivers working properly. What else can I try?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q25: Now that I know all of the important stuff, how do I root my 2nd generation Kindle Fire?[/SIZE]
While there are several tools and scripts used to root the 2nd generation Kindle Fires, they all rely on the same basic method, the Bin4ry method , which takes advantage of a remount timing issue during an ADB restore. It is very effective and works for nearly all devices natively running Ice Cream Sandwich.
Note: Despite some of the rumors about using your Amazon account password as the encryption password, this is a misconception. No password is needed because none was set.
[SIZE=+1]Q26: Where can I find information about how to install Google Play on the stock OS?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q27: Where can I find information about how to install Google Apps on the stock OS?[/SIZE]
*​
This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

Last edited:

seokhun

Feb 23, 2013
What's funny to me is that people still get confused that their KF2 are NOT the same as a KFHD7.

It is understandable, of course, because they look the same on the outside and to a general consumer who lacks the knowledge of software can easily confuse the two, however, it must be made clear in some way, or otherwise we get more cases where people with a KF2 flashes a KFHD7 bootloader and such.

However, if you're going to venture so far as to void your warranty and get yourself involved with things like ADB, Fastboot, and Bootloaders where warnings and BIG bold RED letters , you should first know what model you have and what types of posts are designed for your device. Not to be mean, just saying. It would save you a ton of time and trouble, and not have a paperweight on your hands. Know what you're doing, and what you're getting yourself into, and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: andiipee

ceejay11851

Sep 4, 2015
NY K2nd Ed is running very slowly. I clear the browser, but that doesn't help at all. Any suggestions?

zeddev

Sep 11, 2018
It should be noted that stock Kindle Fire bootloaders since the 8.3.0 (KFHD8.9), 7.3.0 (KFHD7), and 10.3.0 (KF2) updates have this hole patched and any attempt to install the 2nd bootloader along with unsigned recovery & boot images WILL BRICK THE DEVICE.

So does that mean all bets are off ? Any 7" KFHD that has been updated to 7.5.1 will remain a useless stock device? :eek:

VirALinf3cti0n420

Mar 11, 2019
Any help with a bricked HD 7? It's stuck at fire logo. Can't find anything good. It's all outdated posts/articles by like 6 years

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]2nd generation Kindle Fires[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How can I tell if I have a 2nd generation Kindle Fire?[/SIZE]
    For HD models the answer should be pretty obvious, but the KF2 has nearly the exact same hardware configuration as the original. Short of opening the device, the only way to tell for sure is by checking the software version. Devices running a software version of 6.3.2 or earlier is a 1st generation Kindle Fire. All other versions belong to 2nd generation Kindle Fires.
    [SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the most important thing to know about the 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
    The 2nd generation Kindle Fires are running on OMAP4 HS processors with “M-Shield” turned on. What that means is ANY alteration to certain partition images containing digitally signed headers (with one exception) will result in the OMAP ROM halting the boot process and the resulting “brick” will be irreparable by anyone but Amazon. For more information, or just for an interesting read, go here: New Kindle Fires are locked
    [SIZE=+1]Q3: What partition images contain these signed headers?[/SIZE]
    The xloader, bootloader, recovery, and boot (kernel) partition images all have signed headers. Any attempt at installing custom versions of these partition images by means of traditional methods to modify the device will result in the aforementioned irreparable “brick”.
    [SIZE=+1]Q4: How do I create a partition image with a signed header that can be used on the 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
    You can't. Ignoring the fact that the signed header must have the exact same 64Kb signature that Amazon uses in the factory, the software used to produce this signature is not available to the general public, but only to “high volume wireless OEMs and ODMs”.
    [SIZE=+1]Q5: You mentioned “one exception” to installing custom partition images? Could you elaborate on this?[/SIZE]
    While the “M-Shield” technology for OMAP HS processors is pretty robust, the same ccouldn't necessarily be said for Amazon's software. The stock Kindle Fire bootloaders from software updates previous to 8.3.0 (KFHD8.9), 7.3.0 (KFHD7), and 10.3.0 (KF2) have an exploitable hole in the boot process which allows the installation of a 2nd bootloader (on the system partition) and unsigned custom recovery & boot (kernel) images, without much fear of doing irreparable harm, but the actual bootloader must still remain stock. It should be noted that stock Kindle Fire bootloaders since the 8.3.0 (KFHD8.9), 7.3.0 (KFHD7), and 10.3.0 (KF2) updates have this hole patched and any attempt to install the 2nd bootloader along with unsigned recovery & boot images WILL BRICK THE DEVICE.
    [SIZE=+1]Q6: How will I know what version of the stock bootloader is installed on my device?[/SIZE]
    There is no way to confirm with all certainty what bootloader version is installed on the device, but a very good indicator to look for is the software version itself. Software versions prior to 8.1.4 (KFHD8.9), 7.2.3 (KFHD7), and 10.2.4 (KF2) have bootloaders that can be exploited. Everything beyond that must be replaced with one from a previous software update version.
    [SIZE=+1]Q7: My device is running a software version with a stock bootloader that cannot be exploited (or I am not sure). How can I install the 2nd bootloader for running custom ROMs and recovery?[/SIZE]
    Use fastboot to flash a signed stock bootloader from a previous software version. It should be noted that this is very risky to do. Sudden losses or surges of power, accidental unplugging of the USB cable, or flashing a bad download can potentially brick the device, for good. Always check md5s on all bootloader downloads, make sure you have a good charge, and keep all small children at a respectable distance.
    [SIZE=+1]Q8: Where can I find the 2nd bootloader and information on how to install it?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q9: What can I do to restore my device if the 2nd bootloader and custom recovery is not installed?[/SIZE]
    Use fastboot to restore saved partition images from or for your particular device.
    [SIZE=+1]Q10: How do I save my partition images to restore later if needed?[/SIZE]
    For HD models, there is a script created by kinfauns that will do the work for you, but it will not work properly for the KF2 if the partition layout isn't the same. Regardless of what device you own, this can easily be done on any rooted device using 'dd' to save those partitions to the sdcard, then transfer them to your computer:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c “dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0pX of=/sdcard/<filename>.img”
    ...where 'X' will be a number 1-13 (depending on partition layout) and '<filename>' will be the name of that partition. You can get a list of partition names and corresponding numbers with the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c “ls -l /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name
    Use 'adb pull...' to transfer the images to your computer for safe keeping, and avoid trying to save the userdata or sdcard partitions.
    [SIZE=+1]Q11: How do I restore a saved partition in fastboot?[/SIZE]
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash <partition_name> <partition_name>.img
    ...where '<partition_name>.img' should be the full path to the appropriately named partition image located on your computer.
    [SIZE=+1]Q12: Where can I get saved partition images for my device if I haven't previously saved them myself?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q13: How do I restore my device if the 2nd bootloader and custom recovery is installed?[/SIZE]
    Generally speaking, most any problem can be resolved by reinstalling a ROM while being sure to wipe data (factory reset) first.
    [SIZE=+1]Q14: How will I know if I have a bricked 2nd generation Kindle Fire that cannot be restored?[/SIZE]
    The device will not show any outward signs of life; no display, no sound, and no LED. The device may still get warm when plugged in or turned on and Windows users may see an OMAP4 device in the device manager. Again, short of sending it back to Amazon, there isn't anything that can be done.
    [SIZE=+1]Q15: What about the 'usbboot' method used on 1st generation Kindle Fires for replacing a malfunctioning bootloader? Could something similar be implemented for 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
    Not likely. The 'usbboot' method used to install the xloader, bootloader, and custom recovery on the 1st generation Kindle Fires is different for 2nd generation devices. The most significant difference being the USB loader used to initially flash these images must also have a digitally signed header. As explained by Pokey9000, short of finding an exploit in the OMAP ROM code (unlikely) or somehow acquiring the appropriately signed USB boot tools used by Amazon to flash the bootloader in the factory (even less likely) it will probably never work.
    [SIZE=+1]Q16: How will I know if my 2nd generation Kindle Fire can be restored?[/SIZE]
    Generally speaking, any device that will power on and show at least something on the display, will give you access to fastboot, thus the ability to restore saved partition images, and in effect the device. Many times this will require the use of a factory cable, so in some cases, owners of the KFHD8.9 will be out of luck.
    [SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I access fastboot mode on 2nd generation Kindle Fires?[/SIZE]
    There are 3 methods currently used for accessing fastboot mode on the 2nd generation Kindle Fires. Depending on the model, one or more of these methods may not work.
    • For all devices, entering “reboot bootloader” in the shell as the root user should reboot the device into fastboot mode.
    • On HD models, entering a fastboot command that waits for a handshake from the device (i.e. <waiting for device>”) such as “fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product” and rebooting the device will usually enable fastboot mode when the device reboots.
    • On the KFHD7 and KF2, a factory cable can be used to access fastboot mode by plugging it into the device after it has been powered down.
    [SIZE=+1]Q18: My device, when booted, displays a red or orange screen and does not respond to fastboot commands. What happened?[/SIZE]
    You probably tried to install the 2nd bootloader and custom recovery without making sure the bootloader you're running is the the unpatched version from a previous update. The red screen, or “Wall of Fire” as Amazon calls it, is displayed when the digital signatures don't match, as would be the case when installing custom recovery on a device with a patched bootloader. A factory cable is needed to get into fastboot so those partitions can be restored to the original signed versions. Since the factory cable doesn't work on the KFHD8.9, owners of these devices may be out of luck.
    [SIZE=+1]Q19: What is a factory cable? What is it used for? How do I use it?[/SIZE]
    A factory cable, not to be confused with the OEM USB cable that comes with the Kindle Fire, is a USB cable made to emulate a Motorola factory programming cable. With the some devices, it is an easy way to access fastboot mode, especially when no other options are available. To use it, while plugged into your computer, simply plug it into a your device once it has been powered down.
    [SIZE=+1]Q20: Where can I find information on making or purchasing a factory cable?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q21: How will I know when my device is in fastboot mode?[/SIZE]
    It will say “Fastboot” on the display
    [SIZE=+1]Q22: I have access to fastboot mode, but fastboot commands won't work (prompt sits at <waiting for device>). What's wrong?[/SIZE]
    Your USB/device drivers aren't configured properly.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q23: Where can I find information on how to properly install the drivers?[/SIZE]

Note: While those tutorials are made for the original Kindle Fires in mind, the information is still the same in regards to installing and configuring USB device drivers.
    [SIZE=+1]Q24: I've read all the tutorials and tried various different tools, but I'm still unable to get my drivers working properly. What else can I try?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q25: Now that I know all of the important stuff, how do I root my 2nd generation Kindle Fire?[/SIZE]
    While there are several tools and scripts used to root the 2nd generation Kindle Fires, they all rely on the same basic method, the Bin4ry method , which takes advantage of a remount timing issue during an ADB restore. It is very effective and works for nearly all devices natively running Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Note: Despite some of the rumors about using your Amazon account password as the encryption password, this is a misconception. No password is needed because none was set.
    [SIZE=+1]Q26: Where can I find information about how to install Google Play on the stock OS?[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Q27: Where can I find information about how to install Google Apps on the stock OS?[/SIZE]
    *​
    This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    What's funny to me is that people still get confused that their KF2 are NOT the same as a KFHD7.

It is understandable, of course, because they look the same on the outside and to a general consumer who lacks the knowledge of software can easily confuse the two, however, it must be made clear in some way, or otherwise we get more cases where people with a KF2 flashes a KFHD7 bootloader and such.

However, if you're going to venture so far as to void your warranty and get yourself involved with things like ADB, Fastboot, and Bootloaders where warnings and BIG bold RED letters , you should first know what model you have and what types of posts are designed for your device. Not to be mean, just saying. It would save you a ton of time and trouble, and not have a paperweight on your hands. Know what you're doing, and what you're getting yourself into, and you'll be just fine.