[DEV] Port Maemo / MeeGo

Search This thread

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
I personally think it won't be too hard.

You compile it with the right GCC, fix any possible errors, then add an android kernel (hoping the API doesn't change, which is a longshot and probably the biggest obstacle). After that is set up we move everything to their appropriate partition, fix the path, and it really aught to work then.

chrisvuong

Jun 20, 2010
i have no idea how to and how hard, but i think if people can port Android to iPhone , so this wont be something impossile :D

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
I would absolutely LOVE for this to come true. I've been frustrated with my gma500 netbook, since I can't run Meego, or even Moblin. This seems like it would be fun to run on the n1.

Puenos

Aug 20, 2010
Finally! I've waited for someone to take up this work!

Not that I could be of any help, but I appreciate your efforts and hope for your success!
Good look! :)

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
Will be working on this. I don't think I want to flash it instead of Android and as a chroot it'll be more compatible (among ARM7 at least for now..) with other phones. Been barely successful with my old ATT Tilt w/1MB of RAM I gotta see what a Nexus can do =D

Last edited:

jbbandos

May 26, 2010
Brussels
I would absolutely LOVE for this to come true. I've been frustrated with my gma500 netbook, since I can't run Meego, or even Moblin. This seems like it would be fun to run on the n1.

You know that the recently released Intel EMGD drivers work on Maemo? Since they are a binary blob even worse than the PSB drivers, they won't work on (k)ubuntu, only on Maemo and Fedora 11.

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
i'm hazy on how we got fb support on kaiser/vogue but they're msm7k boards as well. i could be wrong but i believe team douche already has it built in. i did a lot of trial and error today to get a chrooted x-server to override android's display. i'm not sure how to get the hardware support because i fail at it and thought it would be easier to hybridize maemo over android at least for testing.

i'm all about getting this to work but irc is tedious so if anyone is actively working on it, i'm down for the cause.

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
I plan on, when I get time, starting my attempts. It would be much easier if I could see the basic layout of the system, but I'm so inexperienced that I don't know where to start. I have a basic idea what to do with the source once I get it, but most of my assumptions rely in part on what I can find out.

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
it's basically ARM Ubuntu w/a ton of customized UI but a basic Debian based distro nonetheless which is why I <3 it so much.

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
Well, I guess it won't be too bad then, I personally was hoping for something that was update.zip capable, and a few simlinks might just do the trick.

The key questions I can think of so far are: how are the files are laid out, how does the window server interact with the kernel, what modules will be essential, how does the phone interface with the radio, minutiae like that.

evilkorn

Jun 10, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
Google Pixel 3 XL
The main road block I see is that we have still not yet been able to run anything outside of virtualization. I'm not sure how the boot process works outside of running an Android build, but a pure solution would be needed for best results.

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
I'm in. I found out something interesting yesterday, the Adreno 200 2D framebuffer is a standard kernel interface. So, if 3d acceleration isn't a priority, we shouldn't even have to port the windowserver. Heck, I'm pretty sure we won't have to port anything.

I guess I'm going to look at the source for debootstrap and see what hints I can gleam from it though.

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
what do you need from debootstrap- it just pulls down the system image but we have meego's already.

here's what we have so far to play with, where to start?

custom dual/tri boot recovery image we'll need to avoid fastbooting the kernel:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5521417&postcount=5
i'd like to mix this into amon's or clockwork mod source with a text file on the SD card to configure kernel parameters

how to boot debian/ubuntu which we'd swap for meego's system:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=631389
should handle enough to fully boot this thing

including his premade zImage you can mess with if you suck at compiling:
http://irregular-expression.com/tmp/zImage

meego's system as linked in the OP:
http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases/1.0/core/images/meego-n900-open-armv7l/

no gsm, no audio, crappy fb based x11 w/o drivers.

Last edited:

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
What system image are you using and how are you unpacking it? I'm not too worried about drivers, as with GSM I'm pretty sure that the API is either already set up as we need it or configurable. People on debian were getting texts to send at one point if memory serve

enatefox

Jul 4, 2008
meego-n900-open-armv7l-1.0.0.20100525.1-sda.raw.bz2

should be the one. i believe it's an ext3 partition but haven't looked at it yet as i was looking into the debian thing. i mean gsm support for our boards which should be okay if we branch off of cyanogenmod's or similar. and if i'm right then "okay" means "complete support."

let me be more specific:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM
and if you look at the MSM link it references a repost of the debian guide as well..

adapt these instructions for working with the image on your desktop:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

and as further motivation, remember when the N900 got x86 WINE via a statically compiled ARM QEMU binary within a x86 chroot? with an x-server we don't have the ****ty VNC fail we've currently had. we could truly run x86 chrooted software (or anything in a chroot like hot-swappable desktop distros) and connect to the host (maemo's) display. and the possibilities with xephyr nested x-servers.

Last edited:

storm99999

Nov 11, 2007
Well, great news on that front too, they use X.org by the looks of it. There's a 3d acceleration driver under development for it. I'm going to try first with a SD card install, as weaving around the wacky partition format is annoying. It'll be a few hours until I'm using an x86 system though to compile the kernel. By the looks of it, the kernel has to be custom in order to use an initramfs partition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, yeah, for those who like ramming their heads against a wall, a guide!

This doesn't work. At all. But it's easy to have it not work, at least. So, only if you want to dev this, here's what you need:

Debian zImage, any and all pretty much work.
    Meego MMC image.

Mount the SD card on your device.

Alright, in your happy linux install, back up your SD card in as many ways as possible.

sudo dd bs=4096 if=/dev/sdX of=imageback.img
    Where X is the id of your phone's SD card.

Then, you want to put the meego image on your sdcard.

sudo dd bs=4096 if=<wherever it's downloaded>/meego-n900-open-armv7l-1.0.0.20100525.1-sda.raw of=/dev/sdX

Then, once that's done,

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot -c 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootfs=ext2 init=/sbin/init rootwait noinitrd' boot zImage

Seriously, that's all. :)
    Well, I saw a question on that page, asking if Bionic and GlibC can coexist.. Well it does! I did it on Desire, but it has nothing special about Desire (maybe recovery scripts do need some editing, not sure).

If the developer of MeeGo is still around (or anyone interested in project), please contact me - I'm very keen on this stuff lately ;)

GlibC in Android post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1299962