Verizon Note 3 user here (recently updated from 4.4.4 NK1 to 5.0 OF1 and about to root). After browsing for a solution to this problem among XDA'S Verizon section to no avail, I came here. Here is what worked for me:
• Access 'USB Connections mode' menu and enable MTP or PTP
▪ Incidentally, I used this app to access the necessary menu (since it is no longer accessible from the Settings > Storage menu on my phone): "MIUI USB Settings"
* I am not affiliated with this app or its development team in any way (except, now, as a surreptitiously satisfied customer).
Apparently, my phone had disabled both modes, and therefore none of the previously posted methods worked for me, including:
• 'Reinstall USB driver' option in Kies 3 (while device is plugged or unplugged)
• Use different USB cables
• Manually install Samsung drivers from Samsung's driver page for my device
I just want to post this here in case anyone else may benefit from enabling a mode which, I thought, would have enabled itself upon plugging into USB. Cheers y'all!