FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to fix magnetometer

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By blueguitarbob, Junior Member on 6th August 2011, 12:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just fixed the magnetometer on my Vibrant, using advice found on another site. It took me a long time to find it, so I thought I should post it here to help other Vibrant users find it more easily. There is similar advice in forums for other Galaxy S variants, but nothing here.

About a week ago, I noticed that my phone was no longer sensing its position. The screen would not rotate, and the compass was not working. I ran the sensor test using the *#0*# code, and both the accelerometer and magnetic sensor were stuck on one reading regardless of phone position. Rebooting had no effect.

I found the following procedure on a different site. I would post the link to give proper credit, but I don't have sufficient forum privileges because this is my first post. It was on the dp.nonoo.hu blog.
Your Samsung Galaxy S phone’s compass is not working? Auto rotation is faulty? Check your hardware by dialing *#0*# – this is a factory test app for the phone.

If the compass is broken there too, here’s how you can fix it: delete /data/system/ms3c_yamaha.cfg, and if there’s a backup file, delete it too, then reboot.

If it won’t help, make sure the files are deleted and then run /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha from a root shell, follow the instructions and then reboot your phone.

I deleted the file using RootExplorer and rebooted. The accelerometer and magnetic sensor were working perfectly.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blueguitarbob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blueguitarbob Ad-Free

6th August 2011, 04:25 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Lol I fixed mine by simply flipping the phone a few times. Basically I first downloaded and installed the compass app from the market. Then in the app, I calibrate it normally (wave in a figure 8 pattern) a few times. It will still be pointing incorrectly so next all I do it flip the phone on it's vertical axis a few times then repeat with the horizontal axis. Then it will be correct. This always works for my phone, I do it every time after a factory reset since it uncalibrates the magnetometer every time. I've never had problems with the accelerometer though, only the magnetometer. It would always be out of whack no matter what until I figured out what to do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Danstek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Danstek Ad-Free
18th September 2011, 04:55 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Cheers Blue,

This fixed it for me.
29th November 2011, 02:40 PM |#4  
I cannot find neither the .cfg fila and or the configuration app.
27th March 2012, 09:34 PM |#5  
Flag Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Meter: 925

Donate to Me
More
+1

These files do not exist in ICS AOKP on my Vibrant and my magnetometer still points in the wrong direction lol.

Trying everything I can find on the Internet.

Edit: Removing the battery does not work even after 15 minutes. However, flipping the phone end over end worked immediately. Seems strange that this is not mentioned by any of the Compass apps yet they tell you to draw figure 8's in the air which does nothing on my Vibrant. lol

Thanks to the individual who shared that tip.
28th March 2012, 08:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 115

More
same here, a few vertical and horizontal flips did the trick for me. (on ics passion)
13th April 2012, 09:01 AM |#7  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Didn't find the "/data/system/ms3c_yamaha.cfg" on my GalaxyS running Slim ICS 3.2. Seems like ICS doesn't have this file. And some vertical/horizontal flips almost did the trick. Now the compass is moving, before it wasn't moving at all. It not showing very good direction like it used to when I first purchased the device almost 15 months ago.

And one more question, does anyone know, what is the testing code for ICS? Because *#0*# isn't working on ICS. I used this code while on gingerbread and it worked before. I thought this code is universal, but now it seems like, its not.
15th May 2014, 03:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguitarbob

I deleted the file using RootExplorer and rebooted. The accelerometer and magnetic sensor were working perfectly.

1. Doest it still work when the phone is:

- touched with a little magnet like in a standard vertical flip-case (with little magnet) or
- travelling by car/bus/train or
- plugged in headphones

In the one I had (I don't have it any more) while plugging in headphones, or travelling by car/bus/train, or putting it in an flip-case with a little magnet the arrow In Google Maps pointing the direction which a device is currently facing simply freezes. Compass app also freezes at the same time. The app called Android Sensor Box in the scale for magnetometer reaches its maximum level. While moving the little magnet, from mentioned before filp-case, around a phone the arrow travels with it. Move it away and it freezes. It simply won't move. While sticking S4 to the metal part of laptop table the arrow immediately points opposite direction. Only making 8s in the air helps but only for a bit. Neither S3 9305 nor S5 have this problem. Even when stuck with a magnet their arrows in GM works just fine.

2. Does deleting the file fixes the GM's arrow issue also?
28th March 2019, 04:30 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danstek

Lol I fixed mine by simply flipping the phone a few times. Basically I first downloaded and installed the compass app from the market. Then in the app, I calibrate it normally (wave in a figure 8 pattern) a few times. It will still be pointing incorrectly so next all I do it flip the phone on it's vertical axis a few times then repeat with the horizontal axis. Then it will be correct. This always works for my phone, I do it every time after a factory reset since it uncalibrates the magnetometer every time. I've never had problems with the accelerometer though, only the magnetometer. It would always be out of whack no matter what until I figured out what to do.

**** this worked
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
accelerometer, magnetic sensor, magnetometer, vibrant

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)