FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.

1,597 Vote(s)
63.96%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.

415 Vote(s)
16.62%
I don't know.

485 Vote(s)
19.42%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,429 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,930

Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2019, 09:22 PM |#43451  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOGLE_USER

There may be a possibility.
You will need to provide details about the device model, number, and options -specifications, in general.
And it would be helpful if you could describe how you have arrived at your current state of boot-looping.
Then one of the knowledgeable members here may have some experience to share with you to try and help.

I have an Bq Aquaris M10.
It had ubuntu touch installed and i tried to flash android on it. so i flashed via fastboot boot.img, system.img and recover.img
well and that didn't work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanno For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Johanno Ad-Free

14th May 2019, 09:47 PM |#43452  
Thanks Meter: 283

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanno

I have an Bq Aquaris M10.
It had ubuntu touch installed and i tried to flash android on it. so i flashed via fastboot boot.img, system.img and recover.img
well and that didn't work.

Excellent, now they have something to work with and ring bells if they possess experience with this, or any similar, device.
Unfortunately, that's not me. But you are in the right place!
You may want to try a FORUM SEARCH, too. Just in case there is an active thread for your device.
Never mind, I did it for you since I was typing about it. CLICK HERE.
Still okay that you've asked here, but you might find your answers there first while you wait for a response.
Always search first.
Welcome to XDA!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GOOGLE_USER For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GOOGLE_USER Ad-Free
15th May 2019, 05:08 AM |#43453  

More
I'm wondering how to odex a lineage 15.1 rom
15th May 2019, 11:42 PM |#43454  

More
So i recently bought 2 LG Stylo 4 off ebay, I saw that they used SIM cards so i assumed they were GSM phones, through research i found out that the carrier which is tracfone is cdma only. So my question is. Is there a way through software or hardware modification that I could get them to work or should I just buy 2 GSM mother boards and just replace them?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gheddox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gheddox Ad-Free
16th May 2019, 12:49 AM |#43455  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
First post and complete noob!

I've been searching the web for some answers and keep getting directed to XDA-Developers. So here it goes.

I'm looking to replace my Windows Phone and my frugalness tells me to buy an Android phone instead of an iPhone. The whole reason I'm looking to replace my phone is that Microsoft is ending support for it this December. But everything I read says that most Android phones get security updates for only 2 years, with the exception of Google phones that get 3. The problem is that I really don't want to have to pay for another phone just yet. But if I'm going to have to anyway, it would be nice to have a phone that lasts a while, not just a couple years. So my questions are:

Is keeping an Android Phone for 5 years or so reasonable?
Do security updates really end after only 2 years?
How important is it to keep up with having the latest Android version?
Would installing a custom ROM or OS be the way to go to keep up with the latest security updates?
Does it matter which phone I get?
How hard could it be to install a custom ROM on a phone?

Thank you in advance!
16th May 2019, 01:02 AM |#43456  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheddox

So i recently bought 2 LG Stylo 4 off ebay, I saw that they used SIM cards so i assumed they were GSM phones, through research i found out that the carrier which is tracfone is cdma only. So my question is. Is there a way through software or hardware modification that I could get them to work or should I just buy 2 GSM mother boards and just replace them?

There is a difference in hardware, not just software, if it's CDMA then you're stuck with CDMA. There is one exception, "some" CDMA devices have been known to have a GSM(Global) mode that allows them to be used on GSM network, I doubt that a TracFone device is one of them.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
16th May 2019, 01:07 AM |#43457  

More
Could somebody help me odex a rom
16th May 2019, 02:01 AM |#43458  
Thanks Meter: 283

More
WHEW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

There is a difference in hardware, not just software, if it's CDMA then you're stuck with CDMA. There is one exception, "some" CDMA devices have been known to have a GSM(Global) mode that allows them to be used on GSM network, I doubt that a TracFone device is one of them.

Oh, thank goodness you are here!
These questions from these new members are topics that I could speak on but I lack the depth of knowledge to provide concrete answers. Furthermore, I was paralyzed by the thought of follow-up inquiries. I didn't know where everyone was!? But now, here you are. WHEW!

@Johanno, were you able to find any information amongst those threads that helped you?

@Gheddox, I have a Stylo 4,, CDMA originally via Comcast -a Verizon MVNO-, and I now am using as a GSM just as @Droidriven has described [correctly] as being one of these uncommon examples of a device possessing this capability. The question to determine is does the specific Tracphone variant maintain this capability and I'm kind of leaning towards similar doubts, as expressed by @Droidriven.
Under SETTINGS - NETWORK & INTERNET - MOBILE NETWORKS - SYSTEM SELECT you may find the ability to choose GLOBAL option. Though I'm uncertain that would guarantee operation with your prospective service provider. IF you have the GLOBAL option then, by all means, seek confirmation through that provider.
You might also Google search on GSMArena.com or similar sights for Tracphone device specific interoperability with GSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GOOGLE_USER For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GOOGLE_USER Ad-Free
16th May 2019, 02:46 AM |#43459  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

I thought as much. I think i'll just buy a T-mobile motherboard on ebay and swap it out. Ill try and contact the network to find out but as you said i doubt it because looking through the phone its missing things a regular stylo 4 would have such as the NFC and fast charge. phones takes about 2 hours to charge from 0%.

Quote:

I have a Stylo 4, CDMA originally via Comcast -a Verizon MVNO-, and I now am using as a GSM just as @Droidriven has described [correctly] as being one of these uncommon examples of a device possessing this capability. The question to determine is does the specific Tracphone variant maintain this capability and I'm kind of leaning towards similar doubts, as expressed by @Droidriven.
Under SETTINGS - NETWORK & INTERNET - MOBILE NETWORK 6 - SYSTEM SELECT you may find the ability to choose GLOBAL option. Though I'm uncertain that would guarantee operation with your perspective service provider. IF you have the GLOBAL option then, by all means, seek confirmation through that provider.
You might also Google search on GSMARENA or similar sights for Tracphone specific interoperability with GSM.

Now that I think about it for some reason in the sellers post they showed the IMEI on the screen on the phone but now that search the phone status i'm only seeing the the MEID. According to the Googles MEID=CDMA and IMEI=GSM, so maybe it has it. But when I follow your instruction and go to MOBILE NETWORK the Phone pushes me out of the option so i dunno.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gheddox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gheddox Ad-Free
16th May 2019, 06:09 AM |#43460  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheddox

I thought as much. I think i'll just buy a T-mobile motherboard on ebay and swap it out. Ill try and contact the network to find out but as you said i doubt it because looking through the phone its missing things a regular stylo 4 would have such as the NFC and fast charge. phones takes about 2 hours to charge from 0%.

Now that I think about it for some reason in the sellers post they showed the IMEI on the screen on the phone but now that search the phone status i'm only seeing the the MEID. According to the Googles MEID=CDMA and IMEI=GSM, so maybe it has it. But when I follow your instruction and go to MOBILE NETWORK the Phone pushes me out of the option so i dunno.

Yeah, my Tracfone Stylo 3 doesn't have it either. They probably removed the option to prevent switching the device to a GSM region/network.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary

First post and complete noob!

I've been searching the web for some answers and keep getting directed to XDA-Developers. So here it goes.

I'm looking to replace my Windows Phone and my frugalness tells me to buy an Android phone instead of an iPhone. The whole reason I'm looking to replace my phone is that Microsoft is ending support for it this December. But everything I read says that most Android phones get security updates for only 2 years, with the exception of Google phones that get 3. The problem is that I really don't want to have to pay for another phone just yet. But if I'm going to have to anyway, it would be nice to have a phone that lasts a while, not just a couple years. So my questions are:

Is keeping an Android Phone for 5 years or so reasonable?
Do security updates really end after only 2 years?
How important is it to keep up with having the latest Android version?
Would installing a custom ROM or OS be the way to go to keep up with the latest security updates?
Does it matter which phone I get?
How hard could it be to install a custom ROM on a phone?

Thank you in advance!

1) yes, plenty of users here are using devices well beyond the 5 year mark.

2) depends on the manufacturer or carrier the device is bought from.

3) not very important but at some point, certain apps and features stop working when your android version is too old to support new software.

4) yes, but it depends on whether or not the developer of the custom ROM takes the time to update the ROM when security updates are released.

5) the phone you get doesn't necessarily matter, it really depends on exactly what you are looking for in a device. Depending on your purposes and what kinds of things that you will be using the device for may or may not be a factor in deciding which device you choose. There is a thread here in the Q&A section intended for people that are looking for new device suggestions, post your questions there concerning which device to choose.

6) it depends on the particular method required to root and/or flash the device. Some are easy, some are complicated and risky, it all depends on the exact device model you choose.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
16th May 2019, 10:17 AM |#43461  
Flag bendigo
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Hello

My Nokia 5 ta-1024 won't charge past 50% apparently since I flashed Nokia 6 firmware fromthis site.

What can I do? should I flash Nokia 5 firmware from that site or is my Nokia damaged!!

Edit: flashed stock nb0 symptoms are still there help!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)