3aXL vs OP7pro? 3A ftw

Search This thread

bamfsig45

Dec 16, 2009
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6
I was going to get the OP7 pro but decided I'd try the Pixel. The price is great, especially with Best buy's 100.00 gift card they give you. 379.00 essentially. Only been 24 hours but so far it's been smooth and no hiccups. I was concerned about only 4gb of ram but haven't ran into any problems. not a huge multitasker and the games I play are minimal and simple. I'm usually on social media, text, email, and phone calls. I may still bite the bullet on the OP7 pro but I'll wait a while and see reviews and hopefully TMobile will have some demo units. That price and curved screen are making me 2nd guess that decision though. Coming from just having a 6T, I don't notice that I'm using an inferior processor and less ram. At least So far I don't.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
This phone is a very good example of commodification, it's coming and I don't see anything that can stop it over the longer term. They fought this tooth and nail with PCs and they held on for quite a while but failed. I think the same will happen here. I was a hardcore phone guy, bought a new one every six months, sometimes more often than that. Always the best because the best was better, I'm talking about the kind of better that made your life a little easier every day. That's largely gone now. I traded my 3 XL for the 6T which came out a week after. I was in the Tmo store comparing them side to side and I simply could not come up with a reason why I should keep the 1k phone over the 6T which was just over half it's price. Sure the XL was better in some respects but it was also worse in some ways. Now here I am with an aXL and I don't see this trend changing.

This is just me, you may see it differently. The 7 Pro will be excellent. I'm looking at it myself but I have the feeling that I've gotten off the flagship treadmill and I'm not sure I want to get back on until something really new like foldables (that don't break before they can be released) are out there.

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I've had nearly every one plus device from the beginning including a 6 most recently and was planning on getting a 7 pro. But I thought about the things they improved: those were not the things that annoyed by about the 1+6. The 3a is a more well rounded phone with incredible software and I'm really enjoying the one I just picked up. Really impressed with the CPU, no studders or lag at all, it's just as fast as my OnePlus 6.

Reactions: redvw and heirei

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Huh, I don't see that. My 6T should be no better or worse than your 6 but when I hold them side to side and fiddle them it's no question faster. Thankfully if I'm just screwing around with this one by itself it feels fluid and satisfying for the most part, I do get some redraws and there is some hitching up at times doing things like opening the main menu but for all that it's not enough to trigger any dissatisfaction. I've had 3 OnePlus devices, like the Pixel in use they're better than they are on paper.

Reactions: redvw

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Huh, I don't see that. My 6T should be no better or worse than your 6 but when I hold them side to side and fiddle them it's no question faster. Thankfully if I'm just screwing around with this one by itself it feels fluid and satisfying for the most part, I do get some redraws and there is some hitching up at times doing things like opening the main menu but for all that it's not enough to trigger any dissatisfaction. I've had 3 OnePlus devices, like the Pixel in use they're better than they are on paper.
App load time is definitely shorter on the OnePlus and it holds way more apps in ram. I really meant that if using the pixel on its own (not side by side), it's not noticeably shower than the OP6. Really digging the software on the pixel, the built in speakers, and the haptic motor at the moment. Missing the flashlight gesture and double tap to wake

Reactions: krabman

hugoprh

Dec 3, 2010
The screen has to be on in some way for double tap to wake to work. Either ambient display or always on display. If your screen is totally off, double tap to wake doesn't work.

I assumed that, that is why I mentioned that I have AOD active, I always use AOD on devices that have that option and having DTW is a plus. On a different note, Google should add a way of turning off AOD at night, like most other manufactures do, I put a piece of paper on top of the proximity sensor to turn off AOD at night to achieve this xD

Reactions: Giocarro

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
App load time is definitely shorter on the OnePlus and it holds way more apps in ram. I really meant that if using the pixel on its own (not side by side), it's not noticeably shower than the OP6. Really digging the software on the pixel, the built in speakers, and the haptic motor at the moment. Missing the flashlight gesture and double tap to wake

Ok, I got you, I had posted much the same elsewhere.

Reactions: xxBrun0xx

janusofborg

Dec 6, 2014
OnePlus 8
The screen has to be on in some way for double tap to wake to work. Either ambient display or always on display. If your screen is totally off, double tap to wake doesn't work.

There's a setting within the Ambient Display to turn in DT2W. It seems to be independent of Ambient Display. For example, I have that box checked, but not AOD, and I can double tap to bring up Ambient Display. I can then double tap again to bring up the normal lock screen. So screen can be off as long as that box is checked.

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
There's a setting within the Ambient Display to turn in DT2W. It seems to be independent of Ambient Display. For example, I have that box checked, but not AOD, and I can double tap to bring up Ambient Display. I can then double tap again to bring up the normal lock screen. So screen can be off as long as that box is checked.
You're right, it's "double tap to check phone". Good call!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190518-112711.png
    Screenshot_20190518-112711.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 459

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
So far, for a person who like higher end phones, this one here (considered a budget) phone is the best IMOP. Sure it lacks a few things. One it only has a screen resolution of 1080, as compare to other phones with higher resolutions.. But I asked my self, did I ever utilize those other screen resolutions? Answer No. So that is not a issue for me at all.. Next, Screen display this one has OLED compared to AMOLED, does it affect how I use the phone? Answer NO. This phone on Sprint, came with absolutely no bloat of any kind, which is a big plus for me. Every time I bought a phone, first thing I had to do was remove all that bloat, as I can't stand software on my phone, that I do not use but takes away to much resources.

The camera is excellent, picture are crisp and nice.. No lag in the shutter. When you hit that button, it takes the picture instantly like it should.. I also like the idea of have sound coming from the speaker that you have up against you head, during phone calls, and from the bottom speakers as well. This makes for very good sound.. My wife and daughter already complained it was waaaay to loud LOL. Yes it has less ram, and a slower cpu, but it is butter smooth and very responsive IMOP compared to the G7 ThinQ I still own, and it only cost less than $500.. This is what a phone should cost.

Now the G7 I believe was around $800 had it for about 6 months.. Sprint asked if I was going to trade it in. I asked how much? They said $68 dollars, are you freaking kidding me.. Heck I will get much, much more when I sell it on line and this phone is in mind condition... This is why it is a scam to sell these phone for such high margins, and yet in the end they depreciate I thing worse than a dam computer does..

Last edited:

dubbactrumpetmsu

Oct 5, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
To each their own - I got the 3a XL to hold me over and start my Verizon account before ordering the OP7 Pro...I'm having pretty long load times, and some apps themselves are just lagging quite a bit. Maybe I got a bad one, but performance wise, I haven't been impressed so far. UI wise, I love the Pixel stuff...though I wish their launcher had a damn import option. Either way, I'll probably keep it as a holdover/backup phone, but I can't wait until the OP gets here on Tuesday. That being said, for $379 I can't complain that much (I do think that's where these devices should sit price wise though). They should make them 299-379 permanently and they would sell insanely well. Still, the camera is amazing as always. Wonder what the Pixel 4 will bring to the table?

Reactions: xxBrun0xx

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
On a different note, Google should add a way of turning off AOD at night, like most other manufactures do, I put a piece of paper on top of the proximity sensor to turn off AOD at night to achieve this xD

I just put my phone down with the screen side down. Of course I am using a glass protector and a case that has a small lip, so the actual screen doesn't contact my table.

Reactions: havugotwata

MCFADONNA

Oct 17, 2006
ARVADA,CO
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
I gave my op6 to my wife and got this pixel 3a xl . I've been using it for 3 months now and I'm big time ready to get back to OnePlus. Great camera on the pixel but thats about it. Under powered , not enough ram , and now with the update 10 4g problem I'm over this pixel.

kirschdog1

May 12, 2010
Saint Paul
Google Pixel Fold
I own both phones..it's really hard to compare these 2 phone models as there so much different. Pixel- I have owned both 1st and 2nd generation pixels prior to my 3a xl. I love the fast software updates and smooth ui even with only 4 gbs of RAM. My OnePlus 7 pro is fast.... really fast and that 90hz screen refresh rate is amazing. I Still really miss my Razer 2 with 120 hz refresh rate minus how boxy it was but all and all this thing is crazy fast. Last thing I might mention is it's heavy and kind of akward to hold not to mention the headache of trying to protect that curved screen though it does look beautiful.
Honestly I'm waiting until wireless charging and 5g are standard before I upgrade my phones again and with the Google updates every month for the next 2 years I think I'll keep my pixel XL 3a as a backup phone with an amazing camera, heck I got it for $350 so why not. My OnePlus 7 pro cost $650 just to compare prices. Hope this helps some people out. Don't hesitate to ask me anything since I own both currently.

Reactions: ctfrommn

champ784

May 31, 2013
Richmond
Nexus 9
Moto G7 Play
I own both phones..it's really hard to compare these 2 phone models as there so much different. Pixel- I have owned both 1st and 2nd generation pixels prior to my 3a xl. I love the fast software updates and smooth ui even with only 4 gbs of RAM. My OnePlus 7 pro is fast.... really fast and that 90hz screen refresh rate is amazing. I Still really miss my Razer 2 with 120 hz refresh rate minus how boxy it was but all and all this thing is crazy fast. Last thing I might mention is it's heavy and kind of akward to hold not to mention the headache of trying to protect that curved screen though it does look beautiful.
Honestly I'm waiting until wireless charging and 5g are standard before I upgrade my phones again and with the Google updates every month for the next 2 years I think I'll keep my pixel XL 3a as a backup phone with an amazing camera, heck I got it for $350 so why not. My OnePlus 7 pro cost $650 just to compare prices. Hope this helps some people out. Don't hesitate to ask me anything since I own both currently.
I'm running with the same two phones, my OnePlus being my main personal device and my pixel being my business device. Both are great, and occasionally, I switch my sim cards back and forth. But for my apps and games, the OnePlus is, undoubtedly, the superior when it comes to performance. But man, those photos from the Pixel and screen calling are two things I just can't give up! In all honesty, both phones are fantastic and I think anyone who opts in for a Samsung or iPhone are missing out!

Reactions: kirschdog1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This phone is a very good example of commodification, it's coming and I don't see anything that can stop it over the longer term. They fought this tooth and nail with PCs and they held on for quite a while but failed. I think the same will happen here. I was a hardcore phone guy, bought a new one every six months, sometimes more often than that. Always the best because the best was better, I'm talking about the kind of better that made your life a little easier every day. That's largely gone now. I traded my 3 XL for the 6T which came out a week after. I was in the Tmo store comparing them side to side and I simply could not come up with a reason why I should keep the 1k phone over the 6T which was just over half it's price. Sure the XL was better in some respects but it was also worse in some ways. Now here I am with an aXL and I don't see this trend changing.

This is just me, you may see it differently. The 7 Pro will be excellent. I'm looking at it myself but I have the feeling that I've gotten off the flagship treadmill and I'm not sure I want to get back on until something really new like foldables (that don't break before they can be released) are out there.
    I was going to get the OP7 pro but decided I'd try the Pixel. The price is great, especially with Best buy's 100.00 gift card they give you. 379.00 essentially. Only been 24 hours but so far it's been smooth and no hiccups. I was concerned about only 4gb of ram but haven't ran into any problems. not a huge multitasker and the games I play are minimal and simple. I'm usually on social media, text, email, and phone calls. I may still bite the bullet on the OP7 pro but I'll wait a while and see reviews and hopefully TMobile will have some demo units. That price and curved screen are making me 2nd guess that decision though. Coming from just having a 6T, I don't notice that I'm using an inferior processor and less ram. At least So far I don't.
    I've had nearly every one plus device from the beginning including a 6 most recently and was planning on getting a 7 pro. But I thought about the things they improved: those were not the things that annoyed by about the 1+6. The 3a is a more well rounded phone with incredible software and I'm really enjoying the one I just picked up. Really impressed with the CPU, no studders or lag at all, it's just as fast as my OnePlus 6.
    Oh my, that 7 looks pretty darn spiffy. Lust factor going through the roof... Down boy! DOWN! :)