Root EMUI 9.0

Search This thread

drewster0

Nov 27, 2017
OK thanks, do you know about substratum or should I stay clear.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Also when I reboot my phone do I need to keep volume up every time for magisk root

MagnoT

Jul 30, 2015
OK thanks, do you know about substratum or should I stay clear.
---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------
Also when I reboot my phone do I need to keep volume up every time for magisk root

Well, substratum app compiles layers. I'm not sure if it actually applies them correctly though. And I wouldn't try any systemui layer since emui looks far away from stock.

As for the vol up thing, yes. If you update magisk binary through magisk manager it will now boot rooted without any further action needed. Dunno if it is a bug or not, but it's convenient for sure. :good:

Edit: Substratum works. After compiling themes you have to reboot. Otherwise they won't show up in the manager section.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewster0

drewster0

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks for that but not sure if I should mess with substratum, also did you manage to hide android pay.

albysprx

Nov 10, 2012
Caution: Just in case: After the update and installation of magisk, adaway becomes unstable on my phone. It seems the "allow root" popup dont show up after adaway started. I have fixed this by autoallow root in magisk, start adaway, enable adblocking and set magisk to "ask permissions" again. After this, the popup shows correctly again. For now i have no clue why this was happen, another Honor 10 dont have this issue at all.

Just disable battery optimization for magisk manager and the "allow root" popup will appear

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I managed to get magisk working without having to hold the vol up button on every reboot.
After the first "vol up" reboot, open magisk manager and do a direct installation, it will ask you to restart, accept and reboot from magisk, when the device has turned on, do a direct installation again from magisk manager. Now you can turn the device off and on without having to hold the vol up button.

drewster0

Nov 27, 2017
So we have root on our phone what do people use it for On our device. Magisk modals are limited, also has anyone used a custom rom if so are they stable ect.. Has anyone successfully hidden Google pay. I can't use it since rooting.

drewster0

Nov 27, 2017
Wow just heard the news about Google so we are never gonna get any more updates to our operating system..

Mar 3, 2011
Bialystok, Poland
I have a problem with Magisk (tested on .216, .223, .229).
I have automatic unlocking on fingerprint recognition and this causing the device turning the screen on (with max brightness) every time the fingerprint is touched even if the fingerprint is not recognized.
So when the phone is in the pocket it constantly turning on and off and drains battery quite fast.
I don't recall that behavior when it was not rooted or on EMUI 8.x even with Magisk.
Have anybody experienced same thing?

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
I have a problem with Magisk (tested on .216, .223, .229).
I have automatic unlocking on fingerprint recognition and this causing the device turning the screen on (with max brightness) every time the fingerprint is touched even if the fingerprint is not recognized.
So when the phone is in the pocket it constantly turning on and off and drains battery quite fast.
I don't recall that behavior when it was not rooted or on EMUI 8.x even with Magisk.
Have anybody experienced same thing?

I've never had problems with Magisk. However, I tried the Franco Kernel manager and naptime and this caused my device to wake a lot. It also caused it to heat up, which has never happened before. Of course I was using Greenify along with naptime, so maybe they were conflicting. I also noticed that the device would wake in my pocket without touching it at all, the screen coming on very bright also. Have you maybe got conflicting apps going together? Once I disabled the kernel manager, all went back to normal. I deleted naptime too.

Reactions: MarcinLewkowicz
Mar 3, 2011
Bialystok, Poland
Thanks for advice.
Unfortunately I have no such apps installed.
No idea what other app could conflict with system or with each other.
Also no additional modules in Magisk installed.
I also tried to change some Magisk settings (turn on basic mode) - no results as well.
Really weird.

Reactions: Einwod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thx to topjohnwu you can use magisk on EMUI9. https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

What you need:
    1. Unlocked Bootloader
    2. be able to use twrp 3.2.3-1 (important! 3.2.3-1). In this case, im using latest offical twrp for the Huawei P20 Pro (charlotte). Only use ADB function, other features (backup/restore) are untested by me, it can harm your device eventually if you use other functions then ADB.
    3. adb installed on PC
    4. all-full-release.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds
    5. magisk-release.zip from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

OK, so how we root the Honor 10 with EMUI9.0?

1. Download offical twrp from here: https://dl.twrp.me/charlotte/twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img.html.
    Be careful, this release was made for another device, but i had no issue with it on my Honor 10.

2. Download Magisk Manager (all-full-release.apk) from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds and install it.
    3. Download magisk root (magisk-release.zip)
    4. Enable OEM Unlock (so you can flash recovery in fastboot) , Power Off the device, push and hold VOL DOWN and plug in the usb cable. The device will start into fastboot.
    5. Flash Twrp withon the PC: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img
    6. This one is a bit tricky! Type fastboot reboot, push and hold VOL UP and after sending fastboot reboot immediately remove cable and wait for twrp to boot. If you not remove the cable you will end up in eRecovery and have to redo the steps above.
    7. In twrp, go to advanced and start ADB. Than plug in the USB cable.
    8. PC: flash magisk-release.zip with: adb sideload magisk-release.zip
    9. IMPORTANT: Remove cable, select reboot, but keep VOL UP pressed during reboot, otherwise you are not able to use magisk. You have to press VOL UP everytime you reboot the device otherwise you have to do Step 5-9 again.
    10. Done, your device is rooted.

UPDATE to .162:

To Update succsessfully to .162 you have to do the following things:

1. flash emui stock recovery_ramdisk.img in fastboot (extract it from update.app using Huawei Update Extractor) use "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDIS.IMG" You dont have to use recovery_ramdisk.img from .162. Just use the latest update.app to extract the recovery_ramdisk.img you can find in Firmware Finder.
    2. Disable OEM Unlock and reboot the device
    3. Go to Settings\System\Software Updates and Hit the 3 Dots on the top right. Select the Full Package Download.
    4. Wait until download is complete and hit update. Now the device will boot into EMUI recovery and install the update the phone.
    5. The device is now rootless, if you want root again, follow the instructions above.

Caution: Just in case: After the update and installation of magisk, adaway becomes unstable on my phone. It seems the "allow root" popup dont show up after adaway started. I have fixed this by autoallow root in magisk, start adaway, enable adblocking and set magisk to "ask permissions" again. After this, the popup shows correctly again. For now i have no clue why this was happen, another Honor 10 dont have this issue at all.

Just disable battery optimization for magisk manager and the "allow root" popup will appear

Notice for UPDATE .179:

You can use the guide above but you have to update (Systemupdate) twice, since the update comes with 2 separate packages. After the first run, emui recovery shows "update failed". Just reboot to system, go to settings, and start the updateprocess again. The second package is about ~220MB in size. After this follow the guide above to get magisk running again.

Notice for UPDATE .203:

Just do the usual way. Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.

Notice for UPDATE .207:

Works! Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.

Notice for UPDATE .216:

Works!

Notice for UPDATE .223:

Works, but you have to use latest Magisk release (19.3) from topjohnwu: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

At step 8. PC: flash magisk-v19.3.zip with: adb sideload Magisk-v19.3.zip

Notice for UPDATE EMUI 9.1:
    9.1 Change a lot, you will have the latest stock RECOVERY_RAMDISK.IMG patched via Magiskmanager and install that with fastboot. After this, reboot and PRess VOL+. You will end up in eRecovery, hit Wipe/Factory Reset(Make BACKUP!) and reboot. This install magisk permanently. For Adaway: You need Systemless Mode activated in Magisk and Adaway.

Maybe i will write another Guide for 9.1, but for now im testing stability.
    Here it is, latest recovery_ramdisk. Stock + Magisk Patched. (Version 9.1.0.366)

Download
    Which version (325, 327, 330)?
    Any problems with flashing Magisk? I read that the method is a little bit different than with EMUI 9.0, and requires doing a factory reset and restoring data later.

Yes its different. Im still have problems with twrp, so be patient. I guess i will write another Guide with the new instructions.

EDIT:
    I have Magisk installed but Adaway is not able to write a hosts file directly, you have to activate systemless mode and it works.
    Hmm after flashing Magisk patched ramdisk image i had to Factory/Reset but this install magisk. I had no dataloss, and calls and massage work like a charm. Maybe a regional issue?
    After this, you have to root the device again just like post 1 describes it.

Since you have already updated and are rooted again, I have new hope that rooting will succeed for me this time as well with the update. I’ll give it a try tonight!

Could you upload a stock recovery file? I'm at work and won't wait till the evening :D

Here you have the stock recovery_ramdisk for COL-L29C432E4R1P9B159: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DMw_gJBOtHJfSycRG_yhsjsz1R7D6_Qd/view?usp=sharing

For some reason, the Firmware Finder does not list the new OTA yet though, so I cannot get a backup of the new stock recovery :/ I hope they will publish the link there soon.