Project Treble for Xperia XZ [F8331/2] [Pie 9.0] [no repartitioning]

Search This thread

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
Double-tap to wake is really buggy, could be that you experience issues with the screen not reacting to touch. Maybe I should disable it completely.
It works fine on Lineage. I haven't noticed any problems with it.
Update: I have noticed random reboots while unlocking phone is it vendor and boot img releated or gsi releated? I can't log that because it is so random. I am on LOS gsi with micro gapps and magisk.

Last edited:

local__hero

Oct 13, 2018
It works fine on Lineage. I haven't noticed any problems with it.
Update: I have noticed random reboots while unlocking phone is it vendor and boot img releated or gsi releated? I can't log that because it is so random. I am on LOS gsi with micro gapps and magisk.
I really can't tell you without logs, but I have heard from others that recent builds have a tendency to crash unexpectedly. I cannot reproduce the crashes myself, but they are reportedly appearing after ~7-8h of use.
You could try and extract the contents of /sys/fs/pstore/* as root directly after a crash and upload them so we can have a look (censor your IMEI please!).

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
I really can't tell you without logs, but I have heard from others that recent builds have a tendency to crash unexpectedly. I cannot reproduce the crashes myself, but they are reportedly appearing after ~7-8h of use.
You could try and extract the contents of /sys/fs/pstore/* as root directly after a crash and upload them so we can have a look (censor your IMEI please!).
There is no need for thay anymore I found whats causing it. It was double tap to wake up. Since it was only crashing while unlocking the phone I got suapicious from that and turned it off and didn't happen for a while. It used happen very often but for nearly 8 hours it didn't happen. I will report back if anything goes wrong.
Update: Crashed once but as I said above it wasn't as often as it used be also the text file you said didn't contain IMEI.
Text file: https://del.dog/iyohefalur.sql

Last edited:

spinte

May 19, 2019
Theres an internal error... contact your manufacturer

I have had the problem just when I turn on the phone. It use to say is a problem with magisk, is the vendor, etc..., but I unrooted, I restored the boot img, I wiped all, and I cant get the 9.0 pie...
I am since december trying to install and I havent could.

¿can u help me? Thanks!

This is my first reply, I made my xda account now, sorry.

Last edited:

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
I have had the problem just when I turn on the phone. It use to say is a problem with magisk, is the vendor, etc..., but I unrooted, I restored the boot img, I wiped all, and I cant get the 9.0 pie...
I am since december trying to install and I havent could.

¿can u help me? Thanks!

This is my first reply, I made my xda account now, sorry.
Read the instructions again and reinstall. You cleary didn't install the recovery for magisk.

Reactions: fallingandroid

bobladure

Oct 30, 2014
Double-tap to wake is really buggy, could be that you experience issues with the screen not reacting to touch. Maybe I should disable it completely.

Will check, but in-call audio through bluetooth should be fixed, see here Bluetooth Audio Debugging

Try any other GSI, the Havoc one is badly out of date and always causes problems. AOSP-Extended, Lineage or RR seem like a good bet.

in-call audio through bluetooth don't work for me with AOSIP gsi rom and Gapps nano installed. it's unfortunate because AOSIP is the best rom i had tested

Reactions: Stronger1101

rf9992003

May 27, 2015
Hello
i have some question in my phome
my phone has unlock
and i flash AOSP 9.0
step use this link sx.ix5.org/info/flashing-aosp-on-xperia-xz/
my file version
OEM:SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_9.0_2.3.2_v8_to ne.img
TWRP:AdrianDC’s TWRP recovery-3.2.1-boot-kagura
ROM:aosp_f8331_2019-05-02-NIGHTLY
FTF:F8332_41.3.A.2.184_R5E_TW.ftf

Now i put my sim card in sim1 slot
my phone can detect my sim card ,remove can detect too
system tell me need reboot

i try reset network in system>reset >reset wifi network bt
still no working

but i flash original FTF
SIM Card can work

any one can help me exclude this error?

screenshot link: imgur.com/B4VYaya

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
Hello
i have some question in my phome
my phone has unlock
and i flash AOSP 9.0
step use this link sx.ix5.org/info/flashing-aosp-on-xperia-xz/
my file version
OEM:SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_9.0_2.3.2_v8_to ne.img
TWRP:AdrianDC’s TWRP recovery-3.2.1-boot-kagura
ROM:aosp_f8331_2019-05-02-NIGHTLY
FTF:F8332_41.3.A.2.184_R5E_TW.ftf

Now i put my sim card in sim1 slot
my phone can detect my sim card ,remove can detect too
system tell me need reboot

i try reset network in system>reset >reset wifi network bt
still no working

but i flash original FTF
SIM Card can work

any one can help me exclude this error?

screenshot link: imgur.com/B4VYaya
This is treble thread not the device specific AOSP thread and you need to send logs otherwise your bug report will be useless.

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
There is no need for thay anymore I found whats causing it. It was double tap to wake up. Since it was only crashing while unlocking the phone I got suapicious from that and turned it off and didn't happen for a while. It used happen very often but for nearly 8 hours it didn't happen. I will report back if anything goes wrong.
Update: Crashed once but as I said above it wasn't as often as it used be also the text file you said didn't contain IMEI.
Text file: https://del.dog/iyohefalur.sql
Same issue still goes on with the latest build. Was this the right file? If it wasn't I can send the correct one.

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
Are you perhaps running encryption? I have noticed lots of reboot issues when I turned it on.
We're on it, after the release of the v9 blobs we will have a closer look.
No I am not running encryption at least I know that I didn't set it up on purpose if I somehow have it on. Btw I think it is something about the power button and waking up. Because device doesn't crash while using it it only crashes when I try to wake it up from sleep with power button. So I decided to use the double tap to wake up instead of pressing power button. Which "seems" to crash the device less often but I wasn't able to test this for a long period of time since I was so busy with the phone for the last few days so I am going to test it out in the following days hopefully.

local__hero

Oct 13, 2018
No I am not running encryption at least I know that I didn't set it up on purpose if I somehow have it on.
Hmm, you might still have it turned on, because some ROMs encrypt by default and it will remain turned on regardless(just with the default password, so you don't notice it).
Have a look at Settings -> Security -> Encryption.

Btw I think it is something about the power button and waking up. Because device doesn't crash while using it it only crashes when I try to wake it up from sleep with power button. So I decided to use the double tap to wake up instead of pressing power button. Which "seems" to crash the device less ofte.
For me, the issue was almost always at pin entry. But we'll have a look.

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
Hmm, you might still have it turned on, because some ROMs encrypt by default and it will remain turned on regardless(just with the default password, so you don't notice it).
Have a look at Settings -> Security -> Encryption.

For me, the issue was almost always at pin entry. But we'll have a look.
It is turned off. Maybe it has something to do with lineage os gsi since it is unofficial.

oguzbatu

Oct 29, 2015
İstanbul
So after a few days of testing I can confirm that it is not about the power button. The crashes are just random. If there is any file which I can semd here just notify me.
Note: Crashes seem to have greatly reduced compared to the previous build.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Project Treble for Xperia XZ

Hey everyone,
    before the year ends, I have something quite neat for you. With this project, you can run (almost) any Generic System Image(GSI) on your Xperia XZ. This means you can test LineageOS, Havoc, Pixel Experience...

No repartitioning necessary! This method is re-using the oem partition.

What is Project Treble?
    Understanding Project Treble and Android updates
    Talkin’ Treble: How Android engineers are winning the war on fragmentation
    What are GSIs?
    Android Source: Generic System Image (GSI)

Downloads:

How to install:
    • Back up your stuff
    • Wipe data and caches
    • Install the zip via TWRP (or unzip and install just the /boot and /vendor images via fastboot)
    • Install any GSI via "fastboot flash system your-gsi-image.img"
    • Fix /dsp labels: See DSP file relabeling for SODP
    • To use Magisk: Flash twrp-kagura-oem-to-vendor.img as recovery. Reboot into recovery and install Magisk like you usually would. If you want to go back to another ROM, you need to re-flash your old TWRP recovery as well.

Bugs: See post #2

DO NOT POST HERE FOR FLASHING HELP OR YOU WILL BE REPORTED. Read everything before posting.​

If you have questions, ask them in this thread: Xperia XZ Pie ROMs Questions and Answers Thread

List of GSIs: phhusson's treble Generic System Image
    Important: You need an A-Only, ARM64 GSI!
    GSIs based on phhusson's work offer the best compatibility.

Magisk: For Magisk to work, you need to tweak your TWRP installation, since it doesn't know that we have shuffled /vendor to the oem partition. You need to change /oem to /vendor in TWRP's fstab file.
    See above for a tweaked TWRP.

If you want to go back to any other AOSP-based ROM that is not a GSI, simply re-flash the regular oem image and install like you usually would.

For developers:
    This method is repurposing the oem partition to hold /vendor and odm(blobs). There's 400mb of space on that partition and we are only using ~260mb for blobs, while vendor is only about 20-30mb.
    Re-partitioning can be quite dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. This method should be safe for everyone.

I'll put up the sources shortly. They're based on the regular AOSP builds but need a few tweaks for compatibility.
    Update: Sources are up now.

You need to tweak the following:
    • Kernel dtsi to disable "odm" and load /vendor from "bootdevice/by-name/oem"
    • PlatformConfig on tone
    • device-sony-common:
      adreno-symlinks branch
      symlink from /vendor/odm/lib to /vendor/lib instead of from /odm/lib: Extra symlinks for build.prop and radio (aosp already symlinks /odm to /vendor/odm, but it omits build.prop and our radio folder)
      Misc fixes
      PRODUCT_FULL_TREBLE_OVERRIDE needs to be "true"
    • device-sony-tone: treble fixes:
      Mount oem as /vendor in fstab
      "TARGET_COPY_OUT_VENDOR := vendor" needs to be set
      Set VNDK versions, and override properties that get set because the build system is made to believe our XZ shipped with Oreo
    • device/sony/odm with odm files
      Unpack the oem blobs under device/sony/odm/odm and follow the README in device/sony/odm/README.
    • We need to put the odm files("blobs") somewhere. They get symlinked from /vendor/odm to /odm; both locations need to be accessible.
    • sepolicy: Use the broad-updates branch (it's kinda hack-ish now because /odm/pm-service is using /dev/binder, which messes with sepolicy). Sepolicy is on permissive for these builds because of that issue.

Tested:
    • AOSP Extended (calling works, bluetooth may crash)
    • Havoc (no calling, bluetooth may crash)
    • Camera should work everywhere

Bugs are the same as the regular AOSP builds, plus some more if the GSI is not built well or doesn't have tweaks for Sony devices.

Happy holidays, I hope you have fun with this!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Project Treble for Xperia XZ F8331/2, ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ

Contributors
    local__hero
    ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: .184 or later stock firmware
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2018-12-30
    Last Updated 2018-12-30
    Flash rom without before flash odm? According I know is necessary flash always the binaries.
    I'm wrong?
    Treble overwrites oem with vendor you don't need flash oem while installing Treble.
    Reserved

Reporting bugs

Important: Read the bug list before posting. Anyone can add bugs to the list, just follow the rules.

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES WITH GSIs! Ask the GSI maintainer to fix them!

I will repeat the rules again here:

Rules:
    • New bugs must include version where error popped up and which oem version you are using
    • Only reproducible errors
    • Should include adb logcat (linked in a pastebin service like https://del.dog)
    • Must include clear description what is wrong
    • If it is a visual/SystemUI bug, only report it here
    • If it is an internal bug(e.g. fingerprint crashes device), report it to the Sony bugtracker as well!
    • Always try to fix the bug yourself first! Then submit a pull request to Sony
    • Must search if error has already been reported (bug tracker, this document, dev buglist)
    • If you've reported the issue somewhere else already and just want to track it here as well, add a link
    • Before reporting a bug, always make sure to isolate it. That means, wipe everything, install only the ROM without GApps and Magisk and see if the problem still exists. Only then report the bug!
    Hi,
    can you explain how to install and make functional magisk ?
    thanks