[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Very appreciate! I will await for your decision. Thank you for the respond.
I'm not the one that has anything to do with making a decision. The decisions are between you and the Admin/moderators here at XDA.

I'm just a simple member that is asking you to specify EXACTLY which kinds of comparisons you wish to have a place for, not just a place for "all" comparisons in one place. Be specific.

I was looking for a simple shortcut to see EXACTLY what you wanted, but here we are, two pages of posts later and you still can't say what kind of comparisons you are asking for. Please, stop running us in circles and just answer the question.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Yes, I like the ideas! You have made my plans more perfect too.

Soon we will compare it.
I'm sorry, you don't understand, but that is ok.

Hopefully, if the idea is even considerable to the Admin/Moderators, maybe they will understand something in all of this that helps understand what you want.

Good luck.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
sometimes its like watching Manuel on Faulty Towers.:D it looks too good to be totally random:p

May I suggest to reduce each post to a simple yes/no.

Post 1. Do you want X? Yes or No

AFTER you get a response, then ask.

Post 2. Do you want Y? Yes or No

AFTER you get a response, then ask.

Post 3. Do you want Z? Yes or No

If you get a yes to all three (which I suspect will be the case....), you will understand where you sit.

Also, could the following be what is being requested?
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9642&idPhone2=9629

Maybe a post asking what is wrong with the following. Could I also suggest posting your answers in your native language (under the English translation)

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
So just a few suggestions for the web page forum on default theme maybe make the search text in the search bar a shade or 2 darker.

This is a bit more complex but my vision would be to make it so by default right under the op(opening post) of each new thread you put a nice search button. You know in the middle colored differently ect. This would make the search bar feature more but prominent and reduce members annoyance at people's laziness/nooby goodness. Making everyone more chill.?️

I also think xda could make it so searchs are not as important/used as much. One way you could do this is write a link aggregation program to sort all links in thread by how recent (Date) they were linked and then include goes many times it's been Clinked. Then display both attributes attributes with the Link's title. For example:

1. A problem. Date:4/21/18 Clicked Time(s): 1
2. Kernel link. Date:4/20/18 Clicked Time(s): 300
3. A Problem Date:4/20/18 Clicked Time(s): 3
4. Rom link. Date:4/19/18 Clicked Time(s):5000

In the thread page of the forum you either add "Links" tab to top like downloads and/or you put a link to the "Links" under the op of each thread including the 5 most recent, then have link to expand it. This could reduce server load since everyone would hopefully start to always look there first before searching. In the Links page proper you display them as listed and show the post as a list. For then for any thread with more then 1 page be of Links you either have pages for be overflow or limit it to last 5-10.

Now if you have gone that far you could also put a option for mods/thread author/devs to have thier most recent post linked automatically to the bottom of the op as well. Maybe event put a voting feature to promote a post to be at the bottom of the op. The easiest way I thought you could do that is by: linking the post in the last 7 days that got thanked the most. That's super easy to be understand. Plus it promotes helpfulness by almost making kindness a competition in the forum. This methodology simply turn thanking into the voting system simplifying implementation of this enhancements. You could also look the most thanked link ever as well.

So all told hopefully this would highlight the download tab built into xda forum, reduce server load(less searches), promote kindness, make the the search feature more prominent, make everybody a bit more chill, empower the thanks button and finally centralize important info and recent thanked in one place making the op the most important be places in the thread.

Sorry if this is over the top just tired of people being mean cause someone didn't search for info. Sometimes I it's hard to know what to search for, sometimes people might not see it ect.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Viewing the mobile site on my phone, the font on the site suddenly changed. Everything is now BOLD. What happened?

Edit: Seems like Adguard is causing it. I'll let them know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190423-080832_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190423-080832_Chrome.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
E-mail notifications have stopped. Between late May 13 and now May 14 PDT.

Attachments

• screenshot-xdaforums.com-2019.05.14-09-44-24.png
    screenshot-xdaforums.com-2019.05.14-09-44-24.png
    73 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: woodman

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
The email issue is back, I have contacted the server admin again. Let's wait and see.
Edit: this should be fixed now.
Emails seem to be pushed again. Just received quite a few ones in regard to earlier quotations, PM and RP within the last 30 minutes.

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
E-mail notifications died again. Stopped sometime after 2230 May 19 PDT and now, 0740 May 20 PDT. Thanks.

edit - Woodman, just saw your reply above. I have gotten no post e-mail notifications at 0802 PDT. Thanks

Last edited:

wrkerr

Mar 14, 2014
Community Friendly Scorecard

I think it would be immensely helpful for XDA to provide a scorecard of how open to development and community-friendly various producers/lines of phones are.

Some phones you can expect are probably going to be well supported by ROM developers and other community developers for years, while others will likely never see much custom development.

Are the bootloaders on their phones easily unlockable? Is the kernel source code provided, complete, and current? Are they easy to root? Is their boot partition conducive to custom ROM installation? Do the companies supporting the phones have a good history of cooperation with community developers? Are community developers generally willing to take up support of devices from this company? Are the devices generally popular on XDA? All of these factors together can give a strong indicator as to what one can expect the community to look like in the future. Companies that are friendly (OnePlus?) would get an A. Companies with phones that are locked down (Apple) would get an F. Everyone else would be somewhere in between.

It wouldn't be feasible to maintain this for each and every phone, but I'm thinking it could be done for the main companies providing phones (OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.), or perhaps with differentiation between key lines on specific manufactures if there was found to be a significant difference between lines (Mi, Redmi, Poco, or Huawei P__, Mate, Honor, etc.).

I think this would be a really helpful resource to readers like myself looking to buy a phone and wanting some guidance as to what kind of community support they might anticipate throughout the life of the device. Furthermore, this would serve as a review/feedback to these corporations... rewarding those who are cooperative, and exposing those who are uncooperative, and perhaps incentivizing some better practices in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: dansou901

Dirk

May 11, 2009
This is how Search results look for me using Chrome and Firefox on Android. Anybody else?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190602-133107_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20190602-133107_Chrome.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 88

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Suggestion: Last post I read within a thread

Regarding the desktop browser interface. When I look at my subscriptions, there is a link to the last post made to a thread, and if I have not read the post, the thread title will be in bold.

Clicking the link to the last post will obviously take me to the last post, however, the last post I have read on that specific thread may actually be back a few pages. If I click the link to see the previous page I loose all indications of which posts are new (ie which posts I have not seen before). This behavior is a little frustrating when viewing threads that move fast.

My suggestion would be to have a link to access the last post within a thread that I have not read. The information is obviously stored as when I go to the last page of a thread it will highlight the posts I haven't read over the ones I have.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    I just thought it would me a nice way of spreading awareness of XDA.
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..