Thanks Meter: 4,608

Post Reply Email Thread
5th June 2019, 04:46 PM |#13341  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl319

Any alternative to adaway? Seems like some ads still showing

a quick google search will help you. But if you choose hosts like stevenblack's list, you will see literally 0 ads (except for embedded ads, in which case adaway's (the hosts file's also) functinality is capped)

5th June 2019, 05:41 PM |#13342  
Thanks Meter: 564

More
Quote:

Any alternative to adaway? Seems like some ads still showing

Something like this, but harder to manage if you don't have some DNS familiarity:
https://www.nextdns.io/
However, it's not going to solve the embedded ads problem where ads are served by the same domain needed for an app to function (such as Waze, Yahoo Weather, etc you simply cannot block those domains and use the app too).
6th June 2019, 04:15 AM |#13343  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

The default ones are ok for me. I usually add Steven Blacklist, too: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...s/master/hosts and adds are history.

How to add this to adaway?

---------- Post added at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

The default ones are ok for me. I usually add Steven Blacklist, too: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...s/master/hosts and adds are history.

How to add thisnto adaway?
6th June 2019, 06:39 AM |#13344  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,164

More
Quote:

How to add this to adaway?

Open AdAway, open the hamburger menu -- host sources, press the "+" button, enter url. Press apply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190606-073817_AdAway.png
Views:	1832
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	4772262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190606-073826_AdAway.png
Views:	1838
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	4772263  
The Following User Says Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
6th June 2019, 09:31 PM |#13345  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,608

Donate to Me
More
Hi all,

Long time no see! It's been more than two months since the last update.
I can't say I was not active on the project as I start working on a new version (5.x.y) as a side project.
I won't share the source code yet as it is not ready at all and I don't want to give an ETA but this new version targets the following goals:
  • 1. Revamp the UI
  • 2. Clean up old support
  • 3. Address one of the main drawback of the app

1. The card based UI does not feel right. Welcome card takes too much space, update button / status has a lot of critic. I guess I can do better.
I started a new simpler and lighter design which provide the most useful information on home screen and all main actions to trigger in one tap (no more burger menu).
It is still under heavy development but I hopefully get a friend onboard, specialized in graphics and design, to help me

2. In order to simplify the development, I clean up the app and remove support for old features.
I bump target SDK version so I finally get Java 8 language feature (it was released 5y ago…) and move to topjohnwu root library (instead of home made one). It means systemless support is now handled by Magisk and other root solutions will still work.

3. Think of what prevent most of users to use AdAway? Now it's gone!
It's not gone forever. It's still here but there will be a fallback to workaround it.
I won't tell more until the first public beta but I guess you get the point

In the meanwhile, here is a new version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy356

Is anyone using a hosts list hosted on Gitlab? It keeps showing "Unknown update status".

GitLab, like GitHub do not set LastModified HTTP header so update status is not supported... yet!

Changelog:
  • Add Gist and GitLab hosting support for hosts file
  • Add option to set default IPv6 redirection
  • Improve reboot command
  • Improve UI for overlays
  • Update translations

Special thanks to @MSF Jarvis and ralayax for theirs contributions and @andy356 for its helpful bug report.

Download:

AdAway 4.2.5 on AndroidFileHost (md5: ab81225745afaaa7646024109de299c0)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190606-214857_AdAway.png
Views:	1962
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	4772679  
The Following 159 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
7th June 2019, 04:27 AM |#13346  
Thanks Meter: 1,254

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

...I start working on a new version (5.x.y) as a side project...
...In the meanwhile, here is a new version!...md5: ab81225745afaaa7646024109de299c0...

starting here (maybe earlier too; i don't know) there were some discussions / requests regarding adding support for easily backing up / restoring hosts sources in AdAway. is this being planned / implemented? thank you for your work.
8th June 2019, 02:16 PM |#13347  
Thanks Meter: 160

More
4.2.5 doesn't install over previous version. Is that intended?

And thanks for your efforts!
8th June 2019, 02:37 PM |#13348  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA!
Thanks Meter: 6,957

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros74

Yesterday, I had no problems at all to update v4.2.4 to v4.2.5 provided by @PerfectSlayer in the post slightly above. All working fine i.e. I'm convinced your issue isn't intended.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
8th June 2019, 02:41 PM |#13349  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,164

More
Quote:

If your previous version is from f-droid, you must uninstall the old version before installing the new one: F-Droid uses its own key for signing...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
8th June 2019, 02:42 PM |#13350  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,346

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

Yesterday, I had no problems at all to update v4.2.4 to v4.2.5 provided by @PerfectSlayer in the post slightly above. All working fine i.e. I'm convinced your issue isn't intended.

Install the apk from the source you installed this previous version of the app. So if you got the release from source, install from source and vice versa. I know F-droid will sign the submitted apks with their keys, so it'll have a different signature than the apk from source.
8th June 2019, 03:01 PM |#13351  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA!
Thanks Meter: 6,957

More
@PerfectSlayer Do you have any intentions to also take-over @mrRobinson XDA Labs account and to publish your version not only here at XDA and F-Droid but also at XDA Labs?
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/org.adaway
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)