Long time no see! It's been more than two months since the last update.
I can't say I was not active on the project as I start working on a new version (5.x.y) as a side project.
I won't share the source code yet as it is not ready at all and I don't want to give an ETA but this new version targets the following goals:
- 1. Revamp the UI
- 2. Clean up old support
- 3. Address one of the main drawback of the app
1. The card based UI does not feel right. Welcome card takes too much space, update button / status has a lot of critic. I guess I can do better.
I started a new simpler and lighter design which provide the most useful information on home screen and all main actions to trigger in one tap (no more burger menu).
It is still under heavy development but I hopefully get a friend onboard, specialized in graphics and design, to help me
2. In order to simplify the development, I clean up the app and remove support for old features.
I bump target SDK version so I finally get Java 8 language feature (it was released 5y ago…) and move to topjohnwu root library (instead of home made one). It means systemless support is now handled by Magisk and other root solutions will still work.
3. Think of what prevent most of users to use AdAway? Now it's gone!
It's not gone forever. It's still here but there will be a fallback to workaround it.
I won't tell more until the first public beta but I guess you get the point
In the meanwhile, here is a new version!
Originally Posted by andy356
Is anyone using a hosts list hosted on Gitlab? It keeps showing "Unknown update status".
GitLab, like GitHub do not set LastModified HTTP header so update status is not supported... yet!
- Add Gist and GitLab hosting support for hosts file
- Add option to set default IPv6 redirection
- Improve reboot command
- Improve UI for overlays
- Update translations
Special thanks to @MSF Jarvis
and ralayax for theirs contributions and @andy356
for its helpful bug report.
AdAway 4.2.5 on AndroidFileHost