How to root the Amazon Fire TV 2 box running latest software version 5.2.6.8

Search This thread

mytunes

May 11, 2018
No, I'm pretty sure a simple tweak will not be enough to work around it. It would need a whole new exploit to be developed just to apply the mtk-su method. But even if I were to discover such an exploit, I would save it for a rainy day. It is not worth releasing just so a few more people can get root and it is patched in the next FW update. 5.2.6.9 is the last FW that mtk-su will support.

That stinks, I rooted my last box tonight when I saw this post.

So if we are rooted can we twrp install 5.2.7.0 if it becomes neutered?

JnBean

Jun 18, 2019
Attempting this on a Fire Stick V1 running 5.2.6.9. The guide mentions using specifically "mtk-su_r4.zip" but I no longer see that in the attachments of the linked thread. Not being sure if the revision matters I have tried most of the others starting with the most recent (R11). These are the results I have gotten with all of them.

Using Arm64
Code:
PS D:\adb> ./adb push D:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
D:/adb/arm64/mtk-su: 1 file pushed. 0.6 MB/s (30328 bytes in 0.047s)
PS D:\adb> ./adb shell
shell@tank:/ $ cd /data/local/tmp
shell@tank:/data/local/tmp $ chmod 755 mtk-su
shell@tank:/data/local/tmp $ ls
mtk-su
shell@tank:/data/local/tmp $ ./mtk-su -v
/system/bin/sh: ./mtk-su: not executable: 64-bit ELF file

Using Arm
Code:
PS D:\adb> ./adb push D:/adb/arm/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
D:/adb/arm/mtk-su: 1 file pushed. 1.2 MB/s (21792 bytes in 0.017s)
No access
Failed critical init step 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Facing the same issue with my fire tv 1st gen... Any news on that problem? Is it only possible with the mtk-su r4?

I tried every revision that's online on xda and got the failed critical step from r11 to r13 and from r14 it's saying hes not able to link a library.

Would really appreciate any help as 5.2.7.0 is lurking around the corner :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JnBean

Jun 18, 2019
Interesting results. And what led you guys to believe that this is compatible with Fire TV stick or Fire TV 1?

Some posts in this thread talking about "got it working on fire TV", the fact that there is a 32 bit version of mtk-su, and someone having the same problem with a ftv 2 got me into thinking that its maybe possible.

To everybody that got fooled like me - it obviously won't ever work on FTV 1. Thanks anyway for the work, OP.

Last edited:

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Interesting results. And what led you guys to believe that this is compatible with Fire TV stick or Fire TV 1?

Theoretical the mtk-su can work for this guys too, since they don't know what kind of device they have :D

Attempting this on a Fire Stick V1 running 5.2.6.9. The guide mentions using specifically "mtk-su_r4.zip" but I no longer see that in the attachments of the linked thread. Not being sure if the revision matters I have tried most of the others starting with the most recent (R11). These are the results I have gotten with all of them.

Using Arm64
Code:
PS D:\adb> ./adb push D:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
D:/adb/arm64/mtk-su: 1 file pushed. 0.6 MB/s (30328 bytes in 0.047s)
mtk-su

Using Arm
Code:
PS D:\adb> ./adb push D:/adb/arm/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
D:/adb/arm/mtk-su: 1 file pushed. 1.2 MB/s (21792 bytes in 0.017s)
No access
Failed critical init step 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Montoya is the name of the first-gen stick, your shell prints 'tank' -> name of the second-gen firestick with MT8127D ;)

same problem here on fire tv 2 .. any help? pls?

mtk-su
shell@tank:/data/local/tmp $ ./mtk-su

:eek:

Same here, 'tank' is the 2gen stick.
Unlock/Root is here: https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/development/unlock-fire-tv-stick-2nd-gen-tank-t3907002

Reactions: diplomatic

diplomatic

Mar 12, 2017
Well, given that there's not one unambiguous case of success on any other Fire TV device, that the original Experimental Root thread or this one's OP makes no mention of these other extremely popular FTV devices, except to say in the FAQ that the FTV stick is not compatible, I'd say that makes it case closed. The other reports of critical failures on FTV2 are from people that don't know what device they have or are using the latest FW.
On the same subject, there's also people elsewhere on the internet trying to make mtk-su work on incompatible devices. Makes me wonder why they keep trying different advanced approaches instead of checking the obvious first...

Reactions: urbanman2004

BIOYAM

Dec 3, 2007
Earth!
@urbanman2004,
Success! ...... Thanks!
I was able to use this method on a Gen 2 Box I acquired with v5.2.6.6 on it. I ended up flashing rbox's pre-rooted v5.2.6.6_r1 afterwards, because that seems to be the last version that works with Xposed while retaining full Alexa capabilities. Afterwards, I was also able to install Xposed Edge to have my box boot up to my preferred launcher automatically.
Again, thanks for sharing.

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Just to clarify.. As I have seen different reports. If I have the 2nd generation box (db83yw fire tv box), running 5.2.6.9, I can or cannot use the OP guide to root, recovery, etc? Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

You can apply root on v5.2.6.9, but also use the corresponding image by rbox. The next following sentiments aren't directed at you @pdaddy. First of all, I'm not sure what gave you @Sus_i, @JnBean, and @Setesh82 the idea that any other device besides the AFTV2 could be rooted w/ this method when the OP doesn't specifically state that. Please take heed to @diplomatic's words since he was the one who discovered said exploit, and he knows what he is talking a/b, and I would hate for you guys to put forth all of that energy into something fruitless going in, and coming out w/ nothing to show for it, but time wasted. I'm not as active on this thread as I used to be since I bricked both of my AFTV2 devices only with the purpose of identifying the breadth of options rooting an AFTV2 would provide you guys, but if I were any of you who hasn't bricked their device yet, I would stay on the straight and narrow path when modifying your device to avoid an outcome similar to mine since the bootloader on the AFTV2 is still locked.

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
@urbanman2004,
Success! ...... Thanks!
I was able to use this method on a Gen 2 Box I acquired with v5.2.6.6 on it. I ended up flashing rbox's pre-rooted v5.2.6.6_r1 afterwards, because that seems to be the last version that works with Xposed while retaining full Alexa capabilities. Afterwards, I was also able to install Xposed Edge to have my box boot up to my preferred launcher automatically.
Again, thanks for sharing.

Glad I could be of service.

Salam0007

Jul 26, 2019
I need help with rooting my fire tv 2 its on version 5.2.7 if i try with adb link and mtk-su it says Failed critical init step 1, permission denied. What can i do?

BIOYAM

Dec 3, 2007
Earth!
[/COLOR]
I need help with rooting my fire tv 2 its on version 5.2.7 if i try with adb link and mtk-su it says Failed critical init step 1, permission denied. What can i do?

How i can downgrade my fire tv to 5.2.6 or is there another methode to root it?

Unfortunately, this exploit was patched in v5.2.7.0...... There is no way to downgrade, unless you had prior root.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
What is with emmc root, hardware root is that possible?

Yeah, it's maybe offtopic, but thats the only way for now. Unfortunately nobody has figured out a propper way for the second gen FTV. You need an oscilloscope to find the corresponding pads/points on the pcp (DAT0, CLK, CMD). Alternative to the scope would be a desoldering of the emmc in order to access the pads on the bottom (and of course trace the pads to corresponding points on the pcp for other users).

Reactions: diplomatic

sledgescott

Dec 12, 2018
HI,
I Cant tell where it says 5.2.?.? version. in informer, Info, etc? Informer show updates and what they do up to 5.2.6.9.
But doesn't specifically say that's where im at at this point.

The number I have that means anything I think,,, is 646581820 so I googled that
number and afraid to say it looks like that refers to 5.2.7.1... So I take it I'm screwed wanting to Root Custom etc...

Really the only reason I even had an interest to doing any of that is because I tried downloading APTOID to see what other apps were listed there. But things like SILK started malfunctioning, some sites that worked just before this, now lock up SILK. Causing Artifacts and corrupted fonts & images in SILK's home screen till I STOP & Clear Cache! Its like APTOID had screwed with java or something. I immediately uninstalled APTOID.
It Didn't fix the issues & even if I restart at Idle w/ no apps launched X-RAY now shows Random CPU Spikes to nearly 100%. Then drop back to nothing. So reluctantly I did a Factory Reset. Unfortunately that too did not resolve behavior. I don't see any evidence of Test Virus or otherwise. But Something got in there that a Factory Reset does not clear! So I was hoping to Custom then maybe go back to STock in an attempt
to completely clean out and refresh the Android OS in the device. This is a real problem that Factory Reset does not fix. Also after a factory reset should some of the System files be 0k dated 12/31/69 ? I think the Factory Reset is only HALF BAKED. Leaving some files in their current state only clearing apps and asumming some code like java is ok to go untouched!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that this process works on Update v5.2.6.8. Any other version beyond that your mileage may vary. "ADB debugging" and "Apps from Unknown Sources" should be enabled. I would like to thank the following members because without their resources this walkthrough wouldn't have been possible: @diplomatic for the exploit, @el7145 for leaving a cookie crumb trail of clues within his comments in this thread which I had to follow like the yellow brick road in order to repeat his success, @rbox for the custom recovery and pre-rooted image, and @AFTVnews.com because if it hadn't been for your article I probably would've never gotten my AFTV device rooted in time before the 5.2.6.9 OTA update. Oh, I almost forgot... and thanks @Chainfire for SuperSU ;). And also @teamfresno for the advice.

ACHIEVING TEMPORARY ROOT PERMISSIONS
    1. Download and install ADB on your PC.
    2. Download "mtk-su_r4.zip" and extract "arm64" folder in ADB install directory (C:\adb).
    3. Run command below:
    Code:
    adb connect 192.168.0.XX
    (IP address of your Fire TV device)
    4. Transfer mtk-su to your /data/local/tmp folder:
    Code:
    adb push C:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
    5. Open an adb shell:
    Code:
    adb shell
    6. Change to your tmp directory:
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    7. Add executable permissions to the binary:
    Code:
    chmod 755 mtk-su
    8. Run the exploit:
    Code:
    ./mtk-su
    NOTE – The following line should display:
    New UID/GID: 0/e
    9. Ensure that mtk-su succeeded in setting selinux to permissive by typing the following command:
    Code:
    getenforce

INSTALLING TWRP & SLOANE
    1. Download rbox's TWRP custom recovery and the latest pre-rooted ROM from your PC and copy it to the root of a USB stick [or microSD card].
    2. Connect the USB stick [or microSD] to your AFTV2.
    3. Change to USB Storage directory:
    Code:
    cd /storage/usbotg/
    NOTE – If recovery is on microSD
    Code:
    cd /storage/sdcard1
    4. Run the zip file. This will automatically run SU:
    Code:
    sh /storage/usbotg/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
    If recovery is on microSD
    Code:
    sh /storage/sdcard1/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
    NOTE – It should print out a following lines:
    Extracting unzip...
    Remounting /system read-write...
    Extracting...
    Remounting /system read-only...
    5. Reboot to Recovery:
    Ctrl+C (closes out previously ran script)
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    6. Your AFTV2 should reboot to a black screen displaying the Amazon logo, followed by a prompt stating that the device will automatically restart, but if not to unplug then re-plug the power source. It will not automatically restart, but DO NOT unplug the device yet.
    KAbxGiTl.jpg

7. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a USB stick then you will need to disconnect it from the AFTV2, and connect a USB hub with at least 2 ports to the AFTV2, and connect both a USB keyboard and the USB stick to the hub at this time. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a microSD then connect a keyboard to the empty USB port at this time.
    8. Now unplug then re-plug the power source and you will be presented with the TWRP splash screen.
    9. At the boot menu, press the RIGHT arrow key on the USB keyboard to boot into TWRP recovery.
    NOTE – whatever you do DON'T let your AFTV2 idle for too long on the initial recovery boot menu screen or it will time out thus restarting, requiring you to repeat the prior steps.
    10. Use the arrow keys to select the "Install" in TWRP.
    11. "Select Storage", and choose the location where you stored the pre-rooted ROM.
    12. Select "Swipe to Confirm Flash" to start the installation.
    Xcxq6rCl.jpg

13. Select "Reboot System" once the file has finished installing in order to restart the AFTV2.
    8CADuQ2l.jpg

VfaSysnl.jpg

For those feeling a little adventurous/ambitious then feel free to follow this guide created by @g422 as he discuses where to go from here by delving into other avenues to truly tap into the power of your AFTV2 such as what's "Xposed" and the benefits it offers for rooting your device, and also how to backup your current Fire OS install using TWRP.

Also shouts out to @PhoenixMark who created a guide for Mac users based on my write-up as how to enable root here.
    Do not update FW to 5.2.7.0

Just a heads up, the new firmware that's being rolled out, 5.2.7.0, has a problem with mtk-su. If you want to keep the ability to use mtk-su on your Fire TV 2, turn off automatic updates somehow. If doing a manual update, at least keep the old boot image. There's strong reason to believe that Amazon has blocked mtk-su in this release. Spread the word...

Some posts in this thread talking about "got it working on fire TV", the fact that there is a 32 bit version of mtk-su, and someone having the same problem with a ftv 2 got me into thinking that its maybe possible.

To everybody that got fooled like me - it obviously won't ever work on FTV 1. Thanks anyway for the work, OP.
    Awesome guide! Thanks for the detailed write up.

I have an issue. After Step 8. ./mtk-su, I get this message - New UID/GID: 0/0. I think its not running the exploit for some reason. When I complete the other steps and reboot to recovery, I get the message adb: not found. I also checked getenforce and it says Permissive.

Any help here?

------

I dropped the adb part. Just enter "reboot recovery'.
    Oh wow, looks like that exploit spread like wildfire!!

Wonder if anybody will see if this works for the firestickv2 (I don't trust myself to crack the case of mine open lol)

It's worth looking into. Since I currently own one as well I'll see a/b performing these same instructions and post my findings at some point in time.