Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.1+] YouTube Downloader v6.7.1

1,602 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,491

Post Reply Email Thread
17th June 2019, 09:07 PM |#3731  
Thanks Meter: 541

More
Is there any way to download whole list into mp3's? Like 220 songs...

18th June 2019, 01:36 AM |#3732  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,616

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym58

In my experience, an MP4 480p (or higher resolution) format will include a soundtrack that, when extracted without further changes will yield an approximately 125k m4a sound file. Similarly, an MP4 270/360p will yield a 96k m4a sound file.
Isn't it true that, aside from possibly better quality of the AO Opus Hi-Q format, everything else will be subject to the above limitations? In other words, you can resample a 125k file to 256k, but why would you want to? Perhaps I am mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xda_dentex

Yes this is what I've been saying for years... Even 256k is probably useless, due to the source's bitrate; but at a certain point I just gave to the users what they wanted. Like "feel free to waste your memory storage space"

Although I am talking about splitting hairs here, because the conversion from M4A (or an other lossy format) to MP3 involves expanding/un-compressing the source (in lossy formats) then re-compressing the source (into a different lossy format), there is some degradation each time it is done; ie "mistakes" get included which could also highlight the different/combined weaknesses between the two lossy formats. As such, doing it at a higher resolution would theoretically help minimise the effects.

If you were to take a high'ish freq sine wave (where a lot of lossy formats cheat you), compress it using M4A, then decompress the M4A back to raw data, then compress it using an MP3 algorithm, then uncompressed that to raw data then repeat the process many times, each time you do it your clean wave will degrade further (more distortion). ie you will loose some clarity, and hence M4A and MP3 are known as "lossy" formats. In simple terms, think of pouring water between two cups where you know you will loose a little water each time you do the exchange, eventually, your cups will be almost empty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
18th June 2019, 06:01 AM |#3733  
Thanks Meter: 947

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejDwo

Is there any way to download whole list into mp3's? Like 220 songs...

jDownloader 2 for Windows.
18th June 2019, 08:16 AM |#3734  
Thanks Meter: 541

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

jDownloader 2 for Windows.

Thank you, will check.
18th June 2019, 02:38 PM |#3735  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Although I am talking about splitting hairs here, because the conversion from M4A (or an other lossy format) to MP3 involves expanding/un-compressing the source (in lossy formats) then re-compressing the source (into a different lossy format), there is some degradation each time it is done; ie "mistakes" get included which could also highlight the different/combined weaknesses between the two lossy formats. As such, doing it at a higher resolution would theoretically help minimise the effects.

If you were to take a high'ish freq sine wave (where a lot of lossy formats cheat you), compress it using M4A, then decompress the M4A back to raw data, then compress it using an MP3 algorithm, then uncompressed that to raw data then repeat the process many times, each time you do it your clean wave will degrade further (more distortion). ie you will loose some clarity, and hence M4A and MP3 are known as "lossy" formats. In simple terms, think of pouring water between two cups where you know you will loose a little water each time you do the exchange, eventually, your cups will be almost empty.

It seems the current best practice for obtaining highest quality audio from YouTube is:
Download MP4 480p (or higher resolution) format and extract audio without further encoding/modification.
-OR-
Download AO Opus Hi-Q format

In my own experience, I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality between the two options, although I think the Opus might be a little more efficient, space-wise. Some media players don't support Opus, or have more difficulty keeping accurate track of time elapsed/remaining, especially when I skip around in a long Opus file.

Of course, none of the options provides really fine quality audio, but I have to admit that my 60-year-old ears don't notice the difference as much as they used to, and to have the vast range of audio and video materials available for review more than makes up for it in my opinion. The ability to download the files makes it much more convenient than relying on a live streaming connection, and so the developer of YTD really deserves our support! If I really like something, I will purchase a high-quality product (download/CD/DVD) from a commercial source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudonym58 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pseudonym58 Ad-Free
19th June 2019, 09:23 PM |#3736  
Minsk, Belarus
Thanks Meter: 67

More
I wonder if there is any way to find out which format YouTube uses in order to store the "master" audio tracks for videos on their servers...
20th June 2019, 02:22 PM |#3737  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym58

It seems the current best practice for obtaining highest quality audio from YouTube is:
Download MP4 480p (or higher resolution) format and extract audio without further encoding/modification.
-OR-
Download AO Opus Hi-Q format

In my own experience, I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality between the two options, although I think the Opus might be a little more efficient, space-wise. Some media players don't support Opus, or have more difficulty keeping accurate track of time elapsed/remaining, especially when I skip around in a long Opus file.

Of course, none of the options provides really fine quality audio, but I have to admit that my 60-year-old ears don't notice the difference as much as they used to, and to have the vast range of audio and video materials available for review more than makes up for it in my opinion. The ability to download the files makes it much more convenient than relying on a live streaming connection, and so the developer of YTD really deserves our support! If I really like something, I will purchase a high-quality product (download/CD/DVD) from a commercial source.

I agree. But to keep the audio from the 480p format, just download the m4a... The 480p is a format handled via the app through FFmpeg: audio and video are downloaded separately and then mixed. You would do one unnecessary step otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nlighter

I wonder if there is any way to find out which format YouTube uses in order to store the "master" audio tracks for videos on their servers...

If you upload a 4K video with the exact codec settings they use to convert to, I *think* that *maybe* they do not transcode at least *that* format. Not sure I've been clear, sorry.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xda_dentex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xda_dentex Ad-Free
20th June 2019, 05:12 PM |#3738  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda_dentex

I agree. But to keep the audio from the 480p format, just download the m4a... The 480p is a format handled via the app through FFmpeg: audio and video are downloaded separately and then mixed. You would do one unnecessary step otherwise. If you upload a 4K video with the exact codec settings they use to convert to, I *think* that *maybe* they do not transcode at least *that* format. Not sure I've been clear, sorry.

Thanks, I didn't realize that the highest-available quality AO m4a (which is often "grayed-out" on my phone, but which is accessible nonetheless) would be the same file as that used with the best available video.
21st June 2019, 03:37 PM |#3739  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
The app is again broken.
Please standby for a fix.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xda_dentex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xda_dentex Ad-Free
21st June 2019, 03:59 PM |#3740  

More
I'm sorry that YouTube is a perpetually moving target. Thanks as always for your hard work!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudonym58 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pseudonym58 Ad-Free
21st June 2019, 05:24 PM |#3741  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
New and fixed version:
https://dentex.github.io/blog/2019-0...td-v6-dot-7-1/

Quote:

v6.7.1 - Jun 21 2019
-----------------------------------
[x] encrypted signature patch (20)

https://dentex.github.io/files/apk/l...downloader.apk
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to xda_dentex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xda_dentex Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adfree, youtube downloader android dentex free

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)