FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

23,400 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,014

By Fallen Spartan, Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy on 12th November 2012, 11:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th May 2019, 04:16 PM |#3161  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,800

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

Is it working for you now?

Yes, just got the main thread notification e-mail and the post quote one at the same time. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pkt_Lnt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pkt_Lnt Ad-Free

21st May 2019, 06:36 PM |#3162  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Community Friendly Scorecard
I think it would be immensely helpful for XDA to provide a scorecard of how open to development and community-friendly various producers/lines of phones are.

Some phones you can expect are probably going to be well supported by ROM developers and other community developers for years, while others will likely never see much custom development.

Are the bootloaders on their phones easily unlockable? Is the kernel source code provided, complete, and current? Are they easy to root? Is their boot partition conducive to custom ROM installation? Do the companies supporting the phones have a good history of cooperation with community developers? Are community developers generally willing to take up support of devices from this company? Are the devices generally popular on XDA? All of these factors together can give a strong indicator as to what one can expect the community to look like in the future. Companies that are friendly (OnePlus?) would get an A. Companies with phones that are locked down (Apple) would get an F. Everyone else would be somewhere in between.

It wouldn't be feasible to maintain this for each and every phone, but I'm thinking it could be done for the main companies providing phones (OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.), or perhaps with differentiation between key lines on specific manufactures if there was found to be a significant difference between lines (Mi, Redmi, Poco, or Huawei P__, Mate, Honor, etc.).

I think this would be a really helpful resource to readers like myself looking to buy a phone and wanting some guidance as to what kind of community support they might anticipate throughout the life of the device. Furthermore, this would serve as a review/feedback to these corporations... rewarding those who are cooperative, and exposing those who are uncooperative, and perhaps incentivizing some better practices in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrkerr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wrkerr Ad-Free
2nd June 2019, 01:33 PM |#3163  
Thanks Meter: 3,569

More
This is how Search results look for me using Chrome and Firefox on Android. Anybody else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190602-133107_Chrome.png
Views:	80
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	4770195  
7th June 2019, 12:54 AM |#3164  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,627

More
Suggestion: Last post I read within a thread
Regarding the desktop browser interface. When I look at my subscriptions, there is a link to the last post made to a thread, and if I have not read the post, the thread title will be in bold.

Clicking the link to the last post will obviously take me to the last post, however, the last post I have read on that specific thread may actually be back a few pages. If I click the link to see the previous page I loose all indications of which posts are new (ie which posts I have not seen before). This behavior is a little frustrating when viewing threads that move fast.

My suggestion would be to have a link to access the last post within a thread that I have not read. The information is obviously stored as when I go to the last page of a thread it will highlight the posts I haven't read over the ones I have.
7th June 2019, 01:04 AM |#3165  
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee
Flag NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 23,456

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Regarding the desktop browser interface. When I look at my subscriptions, there is a link to the last post made to a thread, and if I have not read the post, the thread title will be in bold.

Clicking the link to the last post will obviously take me to the last post, however, the last post I have read on that specific thread may actually be back a few pages. If I click the link to see the previous page I loose all indications of which posts are new (ie which posts I have not seen before). This behavior is a little frustrating when viewing threads that move fast.

My suggestion would be to have a link to access the last post within a thread that I have not read. The information is obviously stored as when I go to the last page of a thread it will highlight the posts I haven't read over the ones I have.

There is one

On the left hand side of each thread is a little arrow. Click this, and you'll be taken to the first unread post of a thread

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	68
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	4772751
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the_scotsman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_scotsman Ad-Free
7th June 2019, 02:43 AM |#3166  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman

There is one

On the left hand side of each thread is a little arrow. Click this, and you'll be taken to the first unread post of a thread

ooops, yep your right, its on the left ... I have been focusing on the tiny little arrow on the right. My bad.
18th June 2019, 03:09 AM |#3167  
Flag Sydney

More
Make the search button more visibly part of the post process
One of the small bothers we all deal with day to day is the fact that people generally do not take advantage of the search button to find the solution to their problem that has been asked many times over in the same thread they are posting in.

Not that it would completely solve this issue, but to help encourage the habit of searching the thread first, before posting, I would like to suggest placing a search thread button right before the post button; instead of way up at the top of the screen which could be scrolled out of view; and thereby out of mind.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	92
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	4778595

A step further to make the process easier (and therefore more appealing), from within the search results, if a post new reply button, from within the thread search results screen was available, it would make it easier and therefore more likely for someone to search the thread first, before posting.

Taking it another step, somehow adding a search button to the OP of any thread longer than a few pages, would also possibly encourage people to use the thread search.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
21st June 2019, 12:18 AM |#3168  
Thanks Meter: 500

More
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but over the decade I've been browsing this site, it's becoming so sloooow to browse.
21st June 2019, 01:38 PM |#3169  
Thanks Meter: 5,820

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but over the decade I've been browsing this site, it's becoming so sloooow to browse.

old subject, search this thread
21st June 2019, 06:27 PM |#3170  
Thanks Meter: 500

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA

old subject, search this thread

I tried, but some things on this forum actually brings Brave (Chrome) on my OP6T to a halt.
13th July 2019, 06:18 PM |#3171  
Thanks Meter: 580

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

Emails seem to be pushed again. Just received quite a few ones in regard to earlier quotations, PM and RP within the last 30 minutes.

Don't know if asked more then once but it's it possible to integrate browser push notification?
A lot of different forums offer this method of notifications...
There are technical limitations?

Best regards...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)