FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLVED] Phone Stops Charging Randomly. Solution?

200 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By twolves14, Senior Member on 28th May 2011, 03:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I noticed this as of yesterday. My Nexus One is plugged in to the wall charger right now, but it randomly stops charging. The light at the top disappears and the phone shows that it is not charging. Give it a few seconds, and it starts charging again. Sometimes it will charge for 30 minutes without a problem, other times it starts and stops every few minutes. I've tried messing with the cable, but it doesn't affect whether or not it charges. I plan on switching batteries with my brother to see if that has a change. I'll also try a different cable soon. I've already rebooted the device, no change. If you go to the battery usage chart, it shows huge gaps in the green charging area..

Rooted, running geo411m stock rom, Android 2.3.3, stock kernel, stock HBOOT.

Any ideas? I hope the charging circuitry isn't failing. Took like 5 hours to charge, now the phone is at 95% battery.

28th May 2011, 08:58 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I would try to wipe the battery stats from recovery see if that makes any difference then maybe try full wipe 1 to 5 times and maybe a clean install or even just change ROMs and check if it's the same.
28th May 2011, 09:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
alright I'll give those a try. I just don't know what could have caused it to happen. been on this rom for months, no change in setup. just randomly started. seems like a software issue to me (hopefully not hardware). even right now as I'm using it, it's plugged in but not charging.. 81%, no charge light.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App
28th May 2011, 09:53 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 974

More
Your charger or cable are most likely the culprit. When the charger doesn't provide enough current - the phone stops charging, and sometimes chargers fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_R1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jack_R1 Ad-Free
28th May 2011, 09:59 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1

Your charger or cable are most likely the culprit. When the charger doesn't provide enough current - the phone stops charging, and sometimes chargers fail.

I will also try that. I'll switch chargers with my brother tomorrow.
29th May 2011, 09:35 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1

It was the charger! My brother has an official HTC one he bought off eBay (looks like this), whereas I have the one that came with the N1. His charged my phone fine. My charger was still screwing up with his phone. I'm just going to buy the HTC one now. Thanks for you suggestion!
30th May 2011, 05:07 AM |#7  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 398

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolves14

It was the charger! My brother has an official HTC one he bought off eBay (looks like this), whereas I have the one that came with the N1. His charged my phone fine. My charger was still screwing up with his phone. I'm just going to buy the HTC one now. Thanks for you suggestion!

Call HTC, even if you're out of warranty. They have been exceptional in providing replacements for broken accessories. I had somehow cracked the lens in the battery door, and when I called to ask where I can buy a new back cover they simply asked for my address and told me I could expect one the next day. Worst thing that could happen is they say "no".
8th May 2016, 11:09 PM |#8  
Flag istanbul
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I was searching an answer but found myself. The issue is something happen to system because of unstable voltage then keeps turning off charging.
I've added agni control kernel and activated ignore unstable charging power and voila!
The Following User Says Thank You to fatihkurnaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fatihkurnaz Ad-Free
12th June 2019, 04:43 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I know this is an old thread but can you tell me - if you can remember (!) - how did you acticate "ignore unstable charging power"? I have the AGNI kernel for my Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 but no idea where the settings are! I've heard of an app but where it is I don't know.
24th June 2019, 08:50 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatihkurnaz

I was searching an answer but found myself. The issue is something happen to system because of unstable voltage then keeps turning off charging.
I've added agni control kernel and activated ignore unstable charging power and voila!

How did you activate that feature? Where are the kernel settings?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, charging, nexus, power

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)