Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Oh okay thank you, sorry but last question. If i use a google dns server, what type of data are sent over to google?
Basically domain names.

Search for "privacy friendly DNS" using your favorite search engine for a more privacy friendly DNS provider.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Maybe not for everybody, but for real privacy you could run your own DNS servers.

bogeskov

Jan 7, 2011
Unexpected behavior when having no gateway

Hello.

I'm running netguard 2.250.
And I've run into an obscure issue...
If I: disable mobile data, enable wifi, connect to accesspoint with no gw. I get that: "0 allowed, xxx blocked", I would expect (and please enlighten me if I'm wrong) that the apps that are allowed to access wifi would be able to connect to ports on the accesspoint.
I've not got Subnet routing enabled. I wouldn't expect that to be required.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello.

I'm running netguard 2.250.
And I've run into an obscure issue...
If I: disable mobile data, enable wifi, connect to accesspoint with no gw. I get that: "0 allowed, xxx blocked", I would expect (and please enlighten me if I'm wrong) that the apps that are allowed to access wifi would be able to connect to ports on the accesspoint.
I've not got Subnet routing enabled. I wouldn't expect that to be required.
An access point with no gateway (assuming that is what you meant) won't work.

Anyway, check if the access point is not 'metered' (check of a $ sign in the action bar), else if will be considered as a mobile connection. There is an network option to disabled this (which is by default disabled, so maybe you enabled this?).

Reactions: bogeskov

bogeskov

Jan 7, 2011
> An access point with no gateway (assuming that is what you meant) won't work.

Exactly! Trying to configure an ESP-32. It took quite a while to figure out why evenrything just timed out.
But if thats how the CONNECTIVITY_CHANGE/WIFI_STATE_CHANGED broadcasts are designed, then... (never had any reason to look into them before)

Thanks for the prompt response.

FlorianReicht

Jun 20, 2019
here is a nice list of DNS - I'm sure you'll find something there, if you do not want to set up your own

ungefiltert-surfen[DOT]de

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have just released beta version 2.251

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

This version removes the VPN handover that occurred when restarting the Android VPN service because too many Android versions appear to implement this not correctly resulting in NetGuard hanging and/or all traffic blocked after a while / connectivity change / turning the screen on/off.

The disadvantage of this change is that there will be a small window in which traffic can leak. Unfortunately, I have no list of Android versions/variants with this problem, so I don't see any other solution other than an option that virtually nobody will understand (an option to just enable/disable UDP traffic already has appeared to be difficult to understand, let alone an option like "VPN handover on/off").

The handover did a start new and stop old, this version will do a stop old and start new directly after each other, so the window in which traffic can leak is very small, so I don't think this will actually result in traffic leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.