FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,273

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th July 2019, 08:51 AM |#11631  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,355

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaxoz

I'm looking for a new mobile to buy with a preference for rooting/modding/(ethical)hacking. I've no specific agenda in rooting for now but would want to learn it as I'm interested in a career in ethical hacking etc so would be nice if practicing things like (but not limited to)Kali Linux etc, shell scripting, XSS work on it smoothly, (If necessary that is, usually I practice all that in my PC), . Budget would be around $300. Does it make sense to consider if the mobile has 5G also?

Also, currently I have a working mobile, I'm wondering what to do with it..
LG3 Stylus with internal memory of only 8GB, I had bought a 64 GB SD card as I was told wrongly) by the shopkeeper that I could transfer my apps to external, but that's possible only for a few apps & my phone memory gets full easily & it's very frustrating. So I was thinking if I could mod it & use my old LGfor more risky experiments (?) & the new phone for less risky modding or something like that, if it makes sense

Thanks a ton in advance!

OnePlus 7 pro for me, there isn't a box it doesn't tick..

Besides maybe waterproofing and wireless charging, beyond that it's a monster.

As for your LG..root it and use folder mount so you can use your 64GB of memory as actual internal memory.

Plus with AOSP running on it it'll run amazingly well.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaleg

Thanks buddy!
Would you point to me a tutorial for it?

It's like that out of the box pal? You don't need a tutorial.
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dladz Ad-Free
9th July 2019, 09:45 AM |#11632  
Flag Velletri, RM
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ---------- [/COLOR] It's like that out of the box pal? You don't need a tutorial.

So, I buy a OnePlus and it is already unlocked the bootloader and rooted? I only need to install TWRP?
9th July 2019, 12:06 PM |#11633  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Motorola One Vision vs Motorola Moto G7 Plus?
One Vision has Android One and bigger battery
Moto G7 Plus has stereo loudspeakers and wider screen.
Which one is better?
9th July 2019, 08:33 PM |#11634  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesousx

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new phone to buy but I can't make my mind.

A bit of background: I currently own a HTC 10 with LineageOS and I am pretty happy with it. My favorite phones of all time were the Google Nexus One and The Sony Xperia Compact models. That being said I had hardware issues with ALL my Sony phones that forced me to change them after about 2.5 years.... which I find pretty disappointing.

Also I hate Samsung for doing stuff that feels exactly like Apple and as locked as Apple is... Plus, I hate the Samsung "UI". However, if the hardware is good, maybe some Samsung with a custom ROM could do the trick.

Now I am looking for a phone :

that is not big. I love "small" phone, I hate the feeling to carry a brick in my pocket all day ;
with a decent battery life, however I almost never watch video, listen to music on my phone, browse GIFs, nor I play with it ;
ideally I would love a notification LED with various colors, so that I quickly know what's going on (eg, received an email, a text, or missed a phone call), without having to turn on the screen. (or maybe some kind of "extra/special" display like some Windows / Lumia phone did) The Nexus did that beautifully with the little track point.
also, a phone that I can mod (custom ROM without Gapps), and root and possible OTA update for the custom ROM (but this might be more related to the ROM than the device itself) ;
finally, budget wise : under 400€ would be OK, and the cheaper the better

Many thanks for your help.

Pixel 3a..
10th July 2019, 01:16 AM |#11635  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,355

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaleg

So, I buy a OnePlus and it is already unlocked the bootloader and rooted? I only need to install TWRP?

No.

You go through the unlock bootloader process..

Then install TWRP.

Then install a ROM.

Done.

It's very easy.

Need a laptop / pc but that's it mate.

Lots of tuts around for this. I think 1+ used to advertise how to lol.

Love the way they did that, they actually had a download link on their website. Quality.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu99ke

Pixel 3a..

Not with th 4 round the corner.

And not Vs other devices for less price and more features.

Ie: F1, 1+, red magic 3
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dladz Ad-Free
10th July 2019, 07:55 PM |#11636  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

OnePlus 7 pro for me, there isn't a box it doesn't tick..

Besides maybe waterproofing and wireless charging, beyond that it's a monster.

As for your LG..root it and use folder mount so you can use your 64GB of memory as actual internal memory.

Plus with AOSP running on it it'll run amazingly well.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Thanks a lot for posting, but my budget isn't that much, it's around $300. Please suggest keeping that in mind
Also, I guess I won't get a 5G phone around that price? (in India, that's where I'm)
10th July 2019, 11:12 PM |#11637  
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaxoz

Thanks a lot for posting, but my budget isn't that much, it's around $300. Please suggest keeping that in mind

Also, I guess I won't get a 5G phone around that price? (in India, that's where I'm)

Can you get a OnePlus 3 or 3t for that price? Or original pixel XL (like I bought for well under $300 - 128gb version in good shape with a good battery). Any of those are good for rooting and custom roms and fairly repairable if something breaks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 350Rocket For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 350Rocket Ad-Free
10th July 2019, 11:37 PM |#11638  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

Can you get a OnePlus 3 or 3t for that price? Or original pixel XL (like I bought for well under $300 - 128gb version in good shape with a good battery). Any of those are good for rooting and custom roms and fairly repairable if something breaks.

I should be able to get refurbished ones in that price range but strangely they are not in stock.. What do you suggest about POCO F1? Is it better than other mobiles in the same range, especially for rooting?
11th July 2019, 12:36 AM |#11639  

More
I have no personal experience with the Poco but what I heard about it made it sound similar to a OnePlus phone but maybe not as good in build quality (plastic body). Very high speed hardware for low price. I'd look into experiences from people who have had them for a while before investing in one.

11th July 2019, 01:49 AM |#11640  
Thanks Meter: 192

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

I have no personal experience with the Poco but what I heard about it made it sound similar to a OnePlus phone but maybe not as good in build quality (plastic body). Very high speed hardware for low price. I'd look into experiences from people who have had them for a while before investing in one.

what's so bad about plastic body? I'm using a note 3 (which is a plastic built phone) and it's still pretty decent even for 2019 (i don't see any problems here) but Pocophone is full of ads tbh so better flash a custom rom on it and u get sdm845 for a low price. That's my point of view
11th July 2019, 01:53 AM |#11641  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan010

what's so bad about plastic body? I'm using a note 3 (which is a plastic built phone) and it's still pretty decent even for 2019 (i don't see any problems here) but Pocophone is full of ads tbh so better flash a custom rom on it and u get sdm845 for a low price. That's my point of view

Yeah, so it can be a good phone but out of the box it isn't. I forgot about the stock software being bad.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)