Post Reply Email Thread
24th July 2019, 08:59 AM |#19801  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdT21

The Pixel 3a seems best for your needs.

thanks for the suggestion. But is Snapdragon 670 any good? I already have a 650 and it seems to me like there's hardly any difference between these two. Also I despise the rounded corners

24th July 2019, 09:35 AM |#19802  
Flag Puerto Princesa City
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliusval99

thanks for the suggestion. But is Snapdragon 670 any good? I already have a 650 and it seems to me like there's hardly any difference between these two. Also I despise the rounded corners

As a midrange SOC it is okay. After all you are in a tight budget so you cant really ask for a higher spec except maybe a generation or two down flagship phone. The problem if those that are easily rootable are few.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to RdT21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RdT21 Ad-Free
24th July 2019, 09:54 AM |#19803  
Flag Vilnius

More
Quote:

As a midrange SOC it is okay. After all you are in a tight budget so you cant really ask for a higher spec except maybe a generation or two down flagship phone. The problem if those that are easily rootable are few.

Well then I'll have to live with my current phone for another year or two. After all, the only reason for upgrading is the slow CPU, and Pixel 3a won't fix that. I'm currently running OmniROM Pie with some random reboots, but that doesn't happen very often (maybe once per week or so) and it boots really fast.
24th July 2019, 10:20 AM |#19804  

More
Quote:

Well then I'll have to live with my current phone for another year or two. After all, the only reason for upgrading is the slow CPU, and Pixel 3a won't fix that. I'm currently running OmniROM Pie with some random reboots, but that doesn't happen very often (maybe once per week or so) and it boots really fast.

Actually the S10e is about the same size as your current phone but with the latest SOC and GPU. Plus it will have at least 3 years support for android and security updates. Though the price is above 400euro.

Or the Oneplus 5 if you could get one would be great upgrade as well for about the price you need.

24th July 2019, 11:42 AM |#19805  
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Quote:

I've been using Sony Xperia X Compact for the past 2 years, but the midrange CPU is starting to show its age and I've been thinking of an upgrade. I paid exactly 300 euro for my current phone when I bought it, soI'm looking at a similar price range. I might bump it up to 400-ish.

These are the features my perfect smartphone would have:
- compact body (no wider than 65mm)
- at least 3GB of RAM (let's make it 4GB, for futureproofing)
- no rounded corners, and most importantly, NO NOTCH!
- Easily rootable, can expect long term support/updates either from the manufacturer or from XDA community
- bonus points for a physical button so I can answer my calls when it's -25 degrees Celcius outside without poking my phone with my nose like an idiot (e.g. Samsung used to have a home button)

Things I really don't care about:
- screen size
- camera
- design (let's make an exception for barbie phones here, I don't want that nor anything similar)
- extra "features" (xcept glove mode, that can sometimes be useful)

Of course I do realize there is no single smartphone that ticks all the boxes, but let's try to tick as many of them as possible without straying too far away from the other ones. For example, I might buy a 65-70mm wide phone if it has good specs and isn't too expensive, but I won't even consider a 75mm wide one even if it's a flagship for $100.

Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018 version)
24th July 2019, 05:11 PM |#19806  
Flag Vilnius

More
Quote:

Actually the S10e is about the same size as your current phone but with the latest SOC and GPU. Plus it will have at least 3 years support for android and security updates. Though the price is above 400euro.

Or the Oneplus 5 if you could get one would be great upgrade as well for about the price you need.

s10e has that ridiculous punch through camera, which is way worse even than a notch... i can't even imagine who comes up with these ridiculous design decisions just to make the screen a couple mm longer...
And Oneplus 5 is gigantic compared to my phone. I've already relaxed the width requirement to 70mm, but this one is 74mm... far too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfiniteAndroid

Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018 version)

sorry, but this is more of a tablet than a phone. Besides, the CPU is worse than what I have now, ao what's the point?
24th July 2019, 05:21 PM |#19807  

More
Quote:

sorry, but this is more of a tablet than a phone. Besides, the CPU is worse than what I have now, ao what's the point?

Slightly confused how you think the CPU is "worse than what you have now" maybe you should take a look at this:

https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...ng-exynos-7885

You mentioned in your original post that screen size didn't matter, hence why I recommended the A7 (2018) 6.0" is a decent size imo, you'd also be doubling your current RAM

You don't have to take a look at that link, you're the one looking for a new device not me so do as you please, however you're sadly mistaken if you think the SD650 (which is in the X compact I believe) is outperforming the Exynos 7885

Have a great day
24th July 2019, 05:41 PM |#19808  
Flag Vilnius

More
Quote:

Slightly confused how you think the CPU is "worse than what you have now" maybe you should take a look at this:

https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...ng-exynos-7885

You mentioned in your original post that screen size didn't matter, hence why I recommended the A7 (2018) 6.0" is a decent size imo, you'd also be doubling your current RAM

You don't have to take a look at that link, you're the one looking for a new device not me so do as you please, however you're sadly mistaken if you think the SD650 (which is in the X compact I believe) is outperforming the Exynos 7885

Have a great day

sorry but versus.com is just about the worst comparison you can find. I checked notebookcheck, they have a thorough benchmark comparison between Snapdragon 660 and this one. The difference is quite large. I admit I didn't do the math to compare it to 650, but from earlier I know the difference between 650 and 660 is not as big. Even if that Exynos is 5-10% better, I see no point in spending 400 euros just to get an upgrade I couldn't even notice, ever.

Yes, I did say screen size didn't matter. But that doesn't invalidate the previous point I made about overall phone dimensions being important. Rather, what I meant by saying screen size is unimportant is that I don't care how small it is. There is no "too small" for me.
24th July 2019, 06:53 PM |#19809  

More
Quote:

Yes, I did say screen size didn't matter. But that doesn't invalidate the previous point I made about overall phone dimensions being important. Rather, what I meant by saying screen size is unimportant is that I don't care how small it is. There is no "too small" for me.

Unfortunately small is the exact opposite of what's available in 2019, hopefully you can find one out there, good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to TheInfiniteAndroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheInfiniteAndroid Ad-Free
24th July 2019, 07:09 PM |#19810  
Flag Vilnius

More
Quote:

Unfortunately small is the exact opposite of what's available in 2019, hopefully you can find one out there, good luck

Thanks, I'll definitely need that
Some interesting compact phones tend to come out once in a while in Japan, but seems like they never leave the local market. At one point I was thinking of importing one, but the shops that export them add quite big margins and then there's import tax. I remember Sharp had those cool edge to edge diaplays without top bezel (only bottom), sadly they were never sold outside Japan.
25th July 2019, 12:33 AM |#19811  

More
The pixel 3a is your best midsozed phone with great cpu and android support. It is just the rounded corners that ypu don't like.

Like you said, you may not find all that you're looking for in a single device therefore, imho the pixel 3a is the best upgrade you can have for the amount of money you are willing to spend.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)