FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to restore / import Line chat history!

301 posts
Thanks Meter: 235

By BillBauman, Senior Member on 17th October 2013, 07:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th July 2019, 06:10 AM |#141  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks for taking the time to document all this, much appreciated. Working with my test account I have made it up to browsing the SQLite database and all is going smoothly. Going to commit and transfer the account to the new phone and continue tomorrow. I found the key entry and it is listed as TEXT NOT NULL, but I will just swap that out when I get the db from the new account after transferring.. On the new phone I am going to install the same newer version that was on the old phone and then downgrade to the same as I did on the old phone. I haven't tested restoring the line.db on my set up, but as long as I downgrade it should be OK I figure. Thanks again and I will update on how it goes.
20th July 2019, 10:33 AM |#142  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I find the whole Line backup situation really frustration as well, it's a massive fail on Line and Google's part. To add insult to injury adb backup has recently been market 'deprecated' (https://www.xda-developers.com/adb-b...e-depreciated/), so this whole approach might not longer working with the next version of Android. Doing the backup has become harder with every new version of Android, I am considering to switch to iOS over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakowsky

I found the key entry and it is listed as TEXT NOT NULL, but I will just swap that out when I get the db from the new account after transferring...

I think you were only looking at the table structure, not the actual table data. I also find that somewhat counterintuitive with the SQLite tool. You have to right click on the table and select browse the data, to see the content. On that note, if anybody tries to merge other tables (e.g. chat) the table structure can be different even if you're using the same line version. I believe that is a result of Line upgrading/changing a table over time vs just creating it new. This makes it a little harder to merge the data, e.g. you'll have to name all rows you're using. This is not relevant for the setting though, has that table only has 2 rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakowsky

On the new phone I am going to install the same newer version that was on the old phone and then downgrade to the same as I did on the old phone. I haven't tested restoring the line.db on my set up, but as long as I downgrade it should be OK I figure. Thanks again and I will update on how it goes.

One thing I should have mentioned is that Line says, you should register your email & password before transfering. I'm not sure if that is still needed, but better safe than sorry.
20th July 2019, 12:10 PM |#143  

More
Actually, I just noticed that something is broke with my letter sealing. At the moment, I have to disable it (and thus basically encryption) to message to other people. Trying later today to figure out what went wrong.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=124 might fix it.

Edit: Yes it worked, doing another backup, removing the ee2e files from the db and uploading it again did the job. Not sure what went wrong, I might have made a mistake when I copied around the files. Due to the way sqlite works, a database file might consist of 1-4 files, depending on the state it is in. I think I orginally forgot to delete all ee2e files and created a broken hybrid by copying over the files. Guess that also means copying ee2e or removing them might be more important than I thought.
22nd July 2019, 05:59 AM |#144  

More
Well that could have gone better. So the target phone is an Xperia, which I found out has a funky way of enforcing a Read Only flag on directories it deems important for the user not to touch. So you can barely copy something to Android/data! Importantly, even with Line downgraded to version 5, I could not make a backup of the new database, which really shuts this down. Adb just exits. You can't even push files into this phone with adb half the time (even though it has been kept at Android 6). It seems to be some Xperia program that runs, because if you do it fast enough while it is booting up you can copy for a while. I know there are work arounds for it online, but what I wound up doing is installing Line version 8 on the new phone, which allows you to save all to a zip file, and use Google Drive. I transferred my account, then I restored from GD, then replaced the data directory with the one from my old data/jp.naver.line.android/ directory (folder by folder, because it stops you if you do too many), and managed to get maybe 20% of my old images showing up in the chats. And all the stickers work. But I can't see the logic of why some images and not others; it wasn't the age of the images and I never used Keep except to test it out a few times. I have all the images and movies backed up, I just wanted them in the context of the dialogue they relate to.

So with no way to pull out the database on the new phone (and restore doesn't work either), I am kind of stuck. Line has claimed enough of my time as it is, I might just go with what I managed to get. But maybe when I am less fed up I will go back to my old phone (which is going to stay in airplane mode so it doesn't get erased), and see if putting the 1000 images one by one into Keep and then transferring the data directory to the new phone will make more of them appear.

Take home message is to go to Line 8.19.2 and stay there, then you get both back up systems. Thanks again for all your help.

Edit: So the xperia only has MTP and not USB mode, probably why this is a problem. I don't like this new phone any more; I think I will go back to my beater Y6 and try and move the Line account back without nuking what was there. At least I can use adb with it....
24th July 2019, 02:49 PM |#145  

More
It should be even easier with Android 6, as you can change the android_id and avoid messing with changing something within db itself.
You could try to download the new phone file folder and compare it to your backup. Maybe files are missing. At one or two occasions I had the feeling like I uploaded the files and somehow they still weren't on the device. Uploading them again fixed it.

Which Xperia are you talking about? Sounds really that it wouldn't support these standard functions.
26th July 2019, 07:48 PM |#146  

More
It's a Z5 Premium. The situation is getting even stranger. I was going to try again, and again couldn't copy from phone to the PC (Win 7) using Windows Explorer, with the phone connected in MTP mode, it keeps reporting an error. What I did find works is to use Xplore on my phone to copy to the PC. But once jp.naver.line.android was copied to the PC, I went to the directory (on the PC) and tried to move it and I couldn't, it said files not found. Then I tried to delete the folder from the PC and I also couldn't! There are two directories with dots at the end of their names that Windows say are no longer at that location. I even tried Unlocker, the permissions seem normal, and chkdsk can't even fix it. So now I have two undeletable directories on my computer because I copied this satanic data directory to it!
11th September 2019, 03:51 AM |#147  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Guys anyone knows how to restore thumbnails in certain Line chat, after Line app is transferred to another device?
I have line .zip backup of that chat (full, not only text), which restores chat - but it only restores text, somehow. No photos or even thumbnails. Instead of all photos I see "share" mark.
When I open .zip file on my pc, I see all photos and thumbnails are ok. Problem is that Line doesn't see neither photos nor thumbnails, and now I only have text mixed with those "share" marks, in my chat. Any way to restore it to the state it was?
I tried to simple copy files from the .zip backup into sdcard -Android - data - jp.naver.line.android - storage - mo - xxx. That xxx seemed to have couple of new photos I got after Line transfer, so I thought all photos should be placed there and it will work.
But it doesn't. Any ideas?
Don't get what's the point of that "all" backup, if it only restores text only, anyway. Where did all photos/thumbnails go??
11th September 2019, 07:52 PM |#148  
Flag Kolding
Thanks Meter: 2,285

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkoku

Guys anyone knows how to restore thumbnails in certain Line chat, after Line app is transferred to another device?
I have line .zip backup of that chat (full, not only text), which restores chat - but it only restores text, somehow. No photos or even thumbnails. Instead of all photos I see "share" mark.
When I open .zip file on my pc, I see all photos and thumbnails are ok. Problem is that Line doesn't see neither photos nor thumbnails, and now I only have text mixed with those "share" marks, in my chat. Any way to restore it to the state it was?
I tried to simple copy files from the .zip backup into sdcard -Android - data - jp.naver.line.android - storage - mo - xxx. That xxx seemed to have couple of new photos I got after Line transfer, so I thought all photos should be placed there and it will work.
But it doesn't. Any ideas?
Don't get what's the point of that "all" backup, if it only restores text only, anyway. Where did all photos/thumbnails go??

Same here. In Line v.9.2 there is no option to restore the zip from sdcard. If we could somehow roll back to a previous version...?
Maybe simply uninstall and restart the process with an old app ???
11th September 2019, 08:07 PM |#149  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo

Same here. In Line v.9.2 there is no option to restore the zip from sdcard. If we could somehow roll back to a previous version...?
Maybe simply uninstall and restart the process with an old app ???

Forgot to mention I have LIne 8.10 (and never used versions higher than that).
So technically I have that .zip file restore option, and the .zip file itself.
Problem is that this option doesn't work. It's supposed to be a "full" backup, but it still restores text only.
Instead of pics/thumbnails I get "share" or "!". Crazy.
Wonder if there is a way to restore it properly. Tried manually (described two posts above) but with no luck.
Line is so bad, how come people use it at all. Total garbage.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)