FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th July 2019, 12:23 PM |#11661  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Hi folks, I need a monster phablet for my job, I don't have budget problem:
1) big screen, at least 7" better more
2) huge battery (I'm tour leader so I spend most of the day at open air (cities, mountains, seas..), at least 5/6000mha
3) IP68 (but if not I'd buy some rugged+scuba/dust proof case, no problem)
4) stereo speakers with Dolby et similar (or audio from screen if it's better), I need to show videos to my groups so I need quality and loud speakers
5) possibly 5G
6) top quality screen (I need it to show videos to my groups so, eg. very visible under the sun..) so HDR and similar, high refresh rate
7) very important: desktop mode and easy TV connection to have big screen for office, media tasks (eg. Gimp, video and audio editing..). I had big big problem with my Pixel 2XL because bigG force me to use Chromecast but I don't have WiFi at home and when I'm in hotels usually WiFi don't allow Chromecast connection (I mean, open WiFis but to insert Id and Pw on webpage. It's incompatible with Chromecast! I had to sell it due useless!!)
8) best Soc (I don't play videogames at all but, as I already written at n.7, I use it for my business too so I need enough Ram, super fast CPU for tasks like computer graphics eg. GIMP, etc..)
9) great camera (I need it because I take a lot of pics and videos to the groups of my tourists days and nights)
10) preferably 3,5mm Jack for wire earphones (I read Bluetooth audio can't reach yet top quality like audio jack)
Ultimately I need something like Mate 20 X but upgraded with added 5G module.
Following rumors I could consider:
- Samsung note 10+
- Huawei Mate 30 X
- Asus Rog 2
- Pixel 4 (project Ara?)
Something better, top? As already written no problem with money (1,2,3000€...)
Thank you
 
 
24th July 2019, 03:18 PM |#11662  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_nooby

Hi folks, I need a monster phablet for my job, I don't have budget problem:
1) big screen, at least 7" better more
2) huge battery (I'm tour leader so I spend most of the day at open air (cities, mountains, seas..), at least 5/6000mha
3) IP68 (but if not I'd buy some rugged+scuba/dust proof case, no problem)
4) stereo speakers with Dolby et similar (or audio from screen if it's better), I need to show videos to my groups so I need quality and loud speakers
5) possibly 5G
6) top quality screen (I need it to show videos to my groups so, eg. very visible under the sun..) so HDR and similar, high refresh rate
7) very important: desktop mode and easy TV connection to have big screen for office, media tasks (eg. Gimp, video and audio editing..). I had big big problem with my Pixel 2XL because bigG force me to use Chromecast but I don't have WiFi at home and when I'm in hotels usually WiFi don't allow Chromecast connection (I mean, open WiFis but to insert Id and Pw on webpage. It's incompatible with Chromecast! I had to sell it due useless!!)
8) best Soc (I don't play videogames at all but, as I already written at n.7, I use it for my business too so I need enough Ram, super fast CPU for tasks like computer graphics eg. GIMP, etc..)
9) great camera (I need it because I take a lot of pics and videos to the groups of my tourists days and nights)
10) preferably 3,5mm Jack for wire earphones (I read Bluetooth audio can't reach yet top quality like audio jack)
Ultimately I need something like Mate 20 X but upgraded with added 5G module.
Following rumors I could consider:
- Samsung note 10+
- Huawei Mate 30 X
- Asus Rog 2
- Pixel 4 (project Ara?)
Something better, top? As already written no problem with money (1,2,3000€...)
Thank you

Well, you could wait for Iphone 11. Its coming out in mid september 2019. Iphone 11 max or something like that. They surely will add 5G, given that samsung has.

And for bluetooth headphones, i recommend skullcandy. Top of the line, very good sound quality
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
24th July 2019, 06:18 PM |#11663  
tsongming's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,781
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Well, you could wait for Iphone 11. Its coming out in mid september 2019. Iphone 11 max or something like that. They surely will add 5G, given that samsung has.

And for bluetooth headphones, i recommend skullcandy. Top of the line, very good sound quality


Yes IPhone 11, if you enjoy spending 3 times as much for a phone with a smaller battery, no ability to customize, no support after 3, 4 years, and exorbitant pricing should you not be under warranty.

I worked for Apple for 5 years. In addition, to everything that I just mentioned there are many additional things that I could tell you about how the y don't give a crap about stolen computers and phones, plus technicians aren't allowed to fix simple issues their job is to swap boards, and again if you aren't under warranty you will get heavily gouged on the price.

One plus 7 is awesome, reliable, is well supported and would be better economically.

Xiaomi like One Plus offers very similar quality at a lower price, plus they have gotten much better about updates, and even plan to change Miui to be more westernized. Plus many of their devices bought in the last two years will get Android Q.

Sent from my MI 8 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to tsongming For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tsongming Ad-Free
26th July 2019, 02:02 PM |#11664  
Nesousx's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu99ke

Pixel 3a..

Hi,

Just a short message to let you know that I followed your advice, and I am very happy with the Pixel 3a.
Many thanks to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nesousx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nesousx Ad-Free
26th July 2019, 03:13 PM |#11665  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I currently have a Motorola droid turbo that I've really liked but it's getting a little wonky. Any recommendations on Verizon phones to look at or to stay away from? I don't get in to nearly the amount of rooting/ROMS that I use to, but knew this forum was the place to get solid advice. Thanks!
28th July 2019, 06:25 AM |#11666  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Hello,
I am planning to upgrade my phone and already decided to buy Oneplus 7 Pro. However, ASUS ROG Phone 2 is coming this year. I would like to have opinions from you guys whether I buy OP7 right away or wait for ROG Phone 2 later?
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to gungjodi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gungjodi Ad-Free
29th July 2019, 03:56 AM |#11667  
galaxys's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 2,026
 
More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungjodi

Hello,
I am planning to upgrade my phone and already decided to buy Oneplus 7 Pro. However, ASUS ROG Phone 2 is coming this year. I would like to have opinions from you guys whether I buy OP7 right away or wait for ROG Phone 2 later?
Thanks

I have the excellent OnePlus 7 Pro and it has a lot of development on XDA...
29th July 2019, 05:56 AM |#11668  
Senior Member
Flag OKC
Thanks Meter: 214
 
Donate to Me
More
I plan on picking up the Oukitel K9

You can find complete specs from Here!
Quick specs is as follows:
Display: IPS 7.12", 350 ppi, 137 ppcm, 2.5D curved screen.
Display Manufacturer: AU Optronics
Cpu: Media Tek Helio P35
RAM: 4gb
Gpu: PowerVR GE8320
Storage: 64gb
Battery: 6000 Mah
Works on Carriers T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon
I want to know is there a better phone with the similar to these specs for similar price? ($189) Budget is an issue.
Also there's already support for the it at the 4pda.
30th July 2019, 07:27 PM |#11669  
Junior Member
Flag Köping
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hello all!

I maybe got a odd question, even if it may make total sense to some, and here goes the question:

I sadly got a Huawei P20 at the moment, and it's really locked down nowadays, thought Huawei would had a blooming community, with easy unlocking of bootloader, but I couldn't had been more wrong.

And even if I can use the test point to bypass unlocking of bootloader temporary, I still can't see me owning this phone, it's bullshit, no developers behind it nearly, and it's just DoA for me seen in that way.

So I wonder, I want to role with Lineage OS, and feel that I own my phone, not a Chinese government owning me.

So I wonder, what do you think that I can change to that are easy to unlock the bootloader of, and that supports the lineage OS, and that are popular around here, that I can trade fare and square for my Huawei P20? Seems like the brands Samsung, Xiaomi and Oneplus are popular when looking at devices in the lineage OS wiki at least.

So I've been looking some at Oneplus 3T as a example, since it seems to be a interesting device, even if I truly want some guidance in this errand, surprise me with options and experiences if you want.

What I would prefer: minimum 3GB of RAM.
a big screen, around 6" or in that area.
And which have around 3000-4000 mAh battery.
30th July 2019, 07:44 PM |#11670  
TheInfiniteAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 218
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazaBlada

Hello all!

I maybe got a odd question, even if it may make total sense to some, and here goes the question:

I sadly got a Huawei P20 at the moment, and it's really locked down nowadays, thought Huawei would had a blooming community, with easy unlocking of bootloader, but I couldn't had been more wrong.

And even if I can use the test point to bypass unlocking of bootloader temporary, I still can't see me owning this phone, it's bullshit, no developers behind it nearly, and it's just DoA for me seen in that way.

So I wonder, I want to role with Lineage OS, and feel that I own my phone, not a Chinese government owning me.

So I wonder, what do you think that I can change to that are easy to unlock the bootloader of, and that supports the lineage OS, and that are popular around here, that I can trade fare and square for my Huawei P20? Seems like the brands Samsung, Xiaomi and Oneplus are popular when looking at devices in the lineage OS wiki at least.

So I've been looking some at Oneplus 3T as a example, since it seems to be a interesting device, even if I truly want some guidance in this errand, surprise me with options and experiences if you want.

What I would prefer: minimum 3GB of RAM.
a big screen, around 6" or in that area.
And which have around 3000-4000 mAh battery.

Any OnePlus device hands down, they 100% have the best custom developer support in my opinion..
The Following User Says Thank You to TheInfiniteAndroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheInfiniteAndroid Ad-Free
1st August 2019, 05:06 PM |#11671  
Member
Flag Schiedam
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
What phone to replace OnePlus 3T?
I've been the happy owner of a OnePlus 3T 64GB for the past 2.5 years. Unfortunately last week the display of my 3T cracked (although still functional for now). My company will not pay for repair, but will reimburse up to the equivalent of USD 350 for a new phone every 2 years. As such I guess it's time for a new phone. Question is, which one?

I mostly use my phone for basic things; browsing, navigation, email & messaging, Facebook, occasional music and videos (Plex, VLC, streaming to ChromeCast), occasional photo's and video recording, ...

Requirements:

* Dual SIM (main reason for replacing my previous Moto X 2014 with Honor 5X before moving to OnePlus 3T, other than that I liked the Moto X as well)
* Fairly clean Android experience, little/no bloatware (I like the OnePlus experience much better than my earlier Samsung S2 & S4 Mini)
* Good performance (since the upgrade to OxygenOS 9.0.4, it seems like my 3T is sometimes lagging just a little bit)
* Decent battery life & fast charging
* Frequent Android updates/upgrades (my experience with OnePlus is much better than earlier Samsung phones)
* Unlockable bootloader and active custom ROM community would be good (with the 3T I've never felt the need to install a custom ROM, but it's good to have an alternative if needed, for example if the manufacturer stops providing updates)
* Easy to fit into your pocket; not too big and not too heavy
* 128GB or more storage
* Preferably 3.5 audio jack
* No Huawei due to uncertain future given USA trade restrictions
* Price around EUR 350 to 500 (give or take a couple of euro's)
* Available in The Netherlands through local (web) shops, amazon.de, or manufacturer web shop

Preferably I would like to stick with OnePlus, but I think the OnePlus 7 (Pro) or even 6/6T don't meet my requirements; too expensive, no audio jack, and probably much larger and heavier than the 3T. The main advantage for me would probably just be the much better camera on the 7 (Pro). The OnePlus 5/5T seems to meet my requirements much better, with prices around EUR 380 for OnePlus 5 128GB, or EUR 480 for 5T on amazon.de, but I'm a bit worried about Android upgrades as this is already a slightly older model.

Are there any other brands/phones that I should look into that meet my requirements but are more recent than the OnePlus 5/5T? Any major pro's or con's or other remarks with regards to buying the 5T?

Thanks,
Ruud
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes