[rom] fire OS revamped for 5th gen and 7th gen

Search This thread

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
the July release candidate is now available to download.
new stuff:
-new default wallpaper
-uses ggow's kernel
-the rom is now deodex
-removed the amazon store
-removed calulator
-updated gapps, nova launcher, black player, firefox(for the 5th gen)
-replaced the default email client with k-9 email
you can download it here

Strange.

Just installed, and the twrp display showed that it installed magisk 4 times..

Wait , it's not so odd.
The updater-script is coded to run 4 times.

Y is that?

Just a note, to whoever is gonna use this rom
, You need to add a widget to home screen. For all drawer, or you cannot get to them
>> Long press home screen
>> Select widget
>> Scroll to Nova
>> Choose nova action, select app drawer, place the widget on screen where you want

Last edited:
Reactions: ANDROID2468

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
Strange.

Just installed, and the twrp display showed that it installed magisk 4 times..

Wait , it's not so odd.
The updater-script is coded to run 4 times.

Y is that?

Just a note, to whoever is gonna use this rom
, You need to add a widget to home screen. For all drawer, or you cannot get to them
>> Long press home screen
>> Select widget
>> Scroll to Nova
>> Choose nova action, select app drawer, place the widget on screen where you want
Yeah, noticed that before I uploaded it. superR's kitchen must of glitch out or something. Just fixed the updater-script and I will test and upload the rom tomorrow.
And I don't know why Nova launcher removed the arrows. Or maybe they didn't? Nova Launcher behaves differently when it's a system app.( It doesn't have the setup screen).

Edit: forgot to mention that Nova launcher is set up for you to swipe up to see all your apps in the newer version

Last edited:

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
The fire os revamped July 2019 Release candidate ver 2 is now available for download.
In this build, I am playing with the idea fo replacing nova launcher with Evie launcher. For right now I have two versions of fire os revamped available for download. One with nova launcher and the other with Evie launcher. so why am I making this change? well, Nova launcher wasn't really designed for being installed as a system app. (The nova launcher setup does not appear on the first launch.) So now the side effects on newer versions of nova launcher is that its setup for gestures but its not very clear that its setup that way. secondly, Evie launcher looks good out of the box and behaves correctly as a system app. This is not a final decision and I will offer both versions for the final July 2019 release.

Gestures for Evie:
-swipe up to show all apps
-swipe down for search
Gestures for nova:
-swipe up to show all apps and search

added stuff:
-add a note during install to swipe up on the home screen to show all apps.
fixed:
-fixed repeating magisk installs

you can download it here

Last edited:

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
UPDATES

fire os revamped July 2019 is now released!
fire os revamped now has 2 launchers to choose from, Nova Launcher or Evie Launcher.
if you downloaded the July RC2 build, it's the exact same thing.
changes:
-rom is now deodexed
-changed the kernel to ggow's kernel
-added magisk
-updated open gapps
-updated nova launcher, black player, firefox(for 5th gen), and xda labs
-removed amazon app store
-added youtube
Download

Last edited:
Reactions: mrmazak

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
fire os revamped July 2019 is now released!
fire os revamped now has 2 launchers to choose from, Nova Launcher or Evie Launcher.
if you downloaded the July RC2 build, it's the exact same thing.
changes:
-rom is now deodexed
-changed the kernel to ggow's kernel
-added magisk
-updated open gapps
-updated nova launcher, black player, firefox(for 5th gen), and xda labs
-added youtube
Download

I like the included "mi-x" plorer app, but there is also an app "file manager"
No need for two file apps. I have removed the file manager app and kept the mi-x it has root explore feature

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
There is a big problem with the new update. most of the amazon apps do not work in this update. I should of done more testing and I'm sorry about that. I am pulling this update for now.

If you still want to download this update, it's available here:
https://androidfilehost.com/user/?w=settings-dev-files&flid=296793

I never even tried any of the amazon apps.

but i did notice poor battery stand-by. like 20% loss overnight.

I was so excited to try this, because the location works, and I am able to use my tv providers app. Which I couldn't on LOS because the location not working.

eventually a split between these two OS's will come.
for me there is one big negative to each choice

LOS = no location (fused is baked into fire OS somehow)
REVAMPTED = bad battery stand-by

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
I never even tried any of the amazon apps.

but i did notice poor battery stand-by. like 20% loss overnight.

I was so excited to try this, because the location works, and I am able to use my tv providers app. Which I couldn't on LOS because the location not working.

eventually a split between these two OS's will come.
for me there is one big negative to each choice

LOS = no location (fused is baked into fire OS somehow)
REVAMPTED = bad battery stand-by
Yeah, I noticed better battery life on LOS too. I am actually working on rebaceing this ROM to LOS so I don't have to worry about Amazon dependces and LOS is just a better ROM all around.

Speaking of your location issue. Did you report it?
And did you try the fire Nexus ROM?

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
Yeah, I noticed better battery life on LOS too. I am actually working on rebaceing this ROM to LOS so I don't have to worry about Amazon dependces and LOS is just a better ROM all around.

Speaking of your location issue. Did you report it?
And did you try the fire Nexus ROM?

Yes, fused location problem has been reported. Fixing it is hard, but it is listed or at least mentioned that it is being worked on.

jibgilmon

Apr 29, 2009
By any chance, will you be doing a similar ROM for the 9th gen, Mustang? I just finished debloating and setting it up how I wanted after installing TWRP, and it's nearly as smooth as the LOS 14.1 build for the 8th gen HD8! I'm curious about how well a properly-cleaned ROM would run on the Mustang. (I'm hoping someone makes one for the 8th gen HD8, too, now that it has TWRP)

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
On the latest (pulled) revamped rom. I further debloated it by disabling more Amazon apps, and now battery standby has increased. Now only 2-4 % overnight instead of 10-15% + in same time .

Definitely some Amazon apps not able to connect must have been killing battery.

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
By any chance, will you be doing a similar ROM for the 9th gen, Mustang? I just finished debloating and setting it up how I wanted after installing TWRP, and it's nearly as smooth as the LOS 14.1 build for the 8th gen HD8! I'm curious about how well a properly-cleaned ROM would run on the Mustang. (I'm hoping someone makes one for the 8th gen HD8, too, now that it has TWRP)
Yes, I will. I will start on it as soon as I can. The only problem is I'm going to need someone to test it because I don't have this device.

I found a new method for making these Rom's that makes it a lot easier to manage.

Reactions: jibgilmon

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
On the latest (pulled) revamped rom. I further debloated it by disabling more Amazon apps, and now battery standby has increased. Now only 2-4 % overnight instead of 10-15% + in same time .

Definitely some Amazon apps not able to connect must have been killing battery.

Ok, I will make a final build of this ROM with removed Amazon apps before I move over to Los. This is For people who need fuse location to work.

Reactions: mrmazak

jibgilmon

Apr 29, 2009
Yes, I will. I will start on it as soon as I can. The only problem is I'm going to need someone to test it because I don't have this device.

I found a new method for making these Rom's that makes it a lot easier to manage.

Whenever you get around to doing that feel free to mention me and I'd be happy to try it out on my Mustang. Looking forward to a version with the Amazon apps removed as you had also just mentioned. Thanks for the response!

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
fire os revamped July version 2 is now available to download.
new things:
-Removed amazon apps

-replaced the camera app with open camera
- added stock gallery app

how to change your lockscreen wallpaper without amazon photos

new things from the 1st july 2019 build:
-changed the default wallpaper
-it is now deodex
-it uses ggow's kernel
-comes with magisk installed
-replaced the default email client with K-9 mail
-added youtube

Download?

Last edited:
Reactions: mixmaxmux

mixmaxmux

Jul 27, 2012
Milano
Many thanks forse the hard work.
I have installed the Austin version (nova) but the se card Is not mounted , i have 128g sd card.
Max

Last edited:

ANDROID2468

Oct 19, 2016
Nashville
Many thanks forse the hard work.
I have installed the Austin version (nova) but the se card Is not mounted , i have 128g sd card.
Max

What file system is the SD card? Fat32 or exfat?

I don't know what the size limit of SD card's that the tablet can handle. 128g is pretty big.

Edit: 64 gb SD card works fine. I'm using fat32 on it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mixmaxmux

mixmaxmux

Jul 27, 2012
Milano
Thanks,
I use this sd card with fire Nexus rom, without problem.I will try to use a 64g sd card and I'll let you know.
Thanks a lot
Max

Update: I tried using a 16G SD and it works, tomorrow I try with a 64G SD card.
Max

Last edited:

mixmaxmux

Jul 27, 2012
Milano
I use 128g gig SanDisk with no problems.

Hi Barcia99,

You use the revemped rom last version on fire 7 austin?

What file system is the SD card? Fat32 or exfat?

Thanks
Max

edit: I normally use the 128gb with the same fire 7 tablet with rom like fire nexus or lineage, but as soon as I use this splendid rom the memory is not seen and I cannot understand why

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is currently made only for 5th gen and 7th gen.
    Requirements
    What's the purpose of this?!?
    • because hacking stock FW is fun!;)
    • I made this for people who want options and wants some of the Amazon apps without the crappy launcher, adds and the forced OTA updates
    Added things
    • nova launcher
    • black player (music player)
    • xda labs
    • F-Droid
    • Firefox
    • open Gapps
    Removed things
    • Home Pages
    • music
    • DeviceSoftwareOTA
    • Forced OTA
    • Help
    • Silk Browser
    • silk Content Service
    • Amazon music
    • Chinese keyboard
    • more more here
    changes in behaver
    • once you enter your wifi info for the first time at setup it will freeze for 5 sec and will bring you straight to the Nova launcher
      more info:
      I think it does this because it's trying to check for updates but it can't so it crashes. you can still enter your Amazon account in settings
    Issues
    • look here
      (You probably noticed that there are a lot of issues listed on github and that because it's not just for bugs. Everything that going to be in a next release is listed there. If or when there is a bug it will have the bug label next to it.)
    installing instructions
    • flash in twrp.
    • if you came from LOS you will have to do a wipe
    Download
    Adding features request/found issues?
    • you want me to add something to this rom? you can notify me with gethub issues tracker or you can commit on this thread.
    want root?
    images

2gxfpuc.png

2nlzij4.png

16hmcee.png

xqc7z5.png

2nqwgt4.png

enjoy.
    It's great to see these devices getting some love! I've got three 5th gens for my kids rocking a 2016 build of LOS 12.1. They seem to be running ok for an old cheap tablet, but I can't help but chase shiny new things... How do you feel that the overall smoothness and operation compares to the old Lineage 12.1?
    You can improve responsiveness (especially after wake) by adding a 128 MB swap file in the largely unused cache partition then dialing back swappiness to 10. Makes a huge difference.

Disabling sync also helps with post wake responsiveness (ie: lag), especially if a Google account is involved.
    For people that tried both, which is better for my kindle fire 7? This revamped rom or lineage os 12.1?
    There is no better/best, only opinions. Try both to see which YOU like better.
    For Fire 7, 7th Gen, I got rid of the lock screen with adb following the procedure described in this post:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66897565&postcount=5

And there is no option to remove (Google-) Accounts, at least I found none. I manually deleted the file "accounts.db" in folder /data/system/users/0 (with root (and Total Commander, which is btw my favorite file explorer and also works with root)). Then all Google accounts are deleted and new accounts can be installed.
    this is currently made only for hd7 5th gen. (may come to 7th gen later)...
    Quick clairification: target device is officially identified as "Fire 5th generation" although many refer to it as a "5th gen Fire 7". There is no "HD" in the name. Same with the 7th gen varient. The HD designation is reserved for 2nd-4th gen devices (some) and 5th-7th gen devices with a screen size of 8" or above.