FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th August 2019, 01:04 PM |#11691  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFbombhead

Years of Apple servitude is starting to get a little boring and I’m thinking about jumping ship. Currently have the iPhone XS Max and a Watch and whilst they are functional, I’m a bit bored.

After a little search of the most recent flagships I feel most of them have compromises, some are deal breakers. Looking forward to the Note 10 announcement later.

Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous about losing iCloud sync for messages and photos and more but I’m sure I can muscle through. Also my last toe dips into Android went badly (A note 2 with horrible UI and a Sony which used to die whilst on charge and not reboot).

But yet, here I am, looking for options and I have a list of needs and nice to haves:

Needs:
- To be new enough to get the next few major updates.
- Wireless charging.
- Google Pay ability.
- The ability to do cloud backups (not sure if this is native these days?)
- Battery life to support medium to heavy usage including using hotspot.
- To be a brand, as much as some of the Chinese makes are doing well, I like to have a support network when things go wrong.
- OLED screen.
- Android Auto (is it standard?)

Nice to haves:
- Smaller screen? I sometimes feel my XS Max is too big, but I think the days of sub 6” phones are gone for now.
- A “wow factor” feature, it’s always nice to have a party trick.
- Notchless, also not too keen how Samsung are doing the offset holepunch either.
- Ability to connect to a decent smartwatch (haven’t decided which one).

Things I care not about:
- Camera, don’t use it for anything serious.
- Where the fingerprint sensor is, it just doesn’t matter.
- Gaming, except PoGo.
- Price, I’ll pay whatever is needed for the right thing.

So where do I go? What do I have to sacrifice?

Welcome back!!!

1 - any major flagship will get next 2 updates .. but some may take a while .. Google Pixel, One Plus or any Android One device best bet for quick updates.

2 - wireless charging most flagships have these days.. except one plus.

3 - All have Google Play unless you get Chinese version of Chinese phones

4 - cloud backups are natively built ( to an extent ) into android.. each OEM though have their own version . I have a pixel and they work well... But different than iPhones.

5 - notches...you can always hide them!!

6 - andoird auto standard ... But some phones connect better than others... My pixel seems very good.. a Sony I had was very good... A Samsung U had wasn't...

Google photos SOOOO much better than apple photos ... So you won't miss that.

You may want to check you tube for videos on moving from iOS to android . Especially about changing your iMessage settings first .. otherwise you will lose messages sent to you after you switch

From a you have said.. I would say check out a pixel 3 or 3xl ( you can hide the notch ) ...the always listening song detection on lock screen is a GREAT wow thing... All my iPhone toting friends and family ( which is ALL of them ) LOVE that feature.

8th August 2019, 01:32 PM |#11692  
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz.droidx

Hello, my current phone is a CID 15 S5 G900V which means it's a Verizon model with unlockable bootloader. I run custom everything like most on here.

My problem is not only is my screen cracked but my aftermarket extended battery is almost shot (about 2 years old). This was a local trade in and I only paid 140 for a 1 year old S5.

I need a new phone or a new to me phone.
I'm also low on funds. I'm with Verizon because where I live they roam with data on their extended network (regional carrier Appalachian wireless). That being said prepaid won't work because you don't get to use the extended network.

Right now I could try to get a phone from Verizon like the a50 or g7. Or save up and get another like new used phone with unlocked bootloader.

My S5. S3, and Droid X were all rooted with custom ROMs and other bits.

I'd like to get a phone with a 6in+ screen and have it work on any network because I may leave big red. I'd like a removable battery, SD card, fingerprint reader, and IR blaster.

I'll probably have to do without a removable battery and IR blaster but need the big screen and SD card. I'd like my next phone to take better low light photos. I prefer AMOLED too. That's why I'm looking at a50 but the dev community might not last as long as the S3 or S5. Or be non existent. I'm not a gamer. But use everything else.

One other option is getting away from smart phones and going back to a dumb phone so I'm not reading news and stuff all the time. And not flashing ROMs all the time.

So I'm torn between what I should do.

Thanks for your help. I'd like to switch to ting which uses Sprint and T-Mobile. Sprint supposedly has extended coverage here too but requires a Sprint phone from what I've read.

I know this is a tough one. But I appreciate your advice. I don't keeps up with the latest and greatest.

One last thing. I've moved away from Google and use microg with nextcloud.

Edit. I'm sorry this is so long but it's better to have too much info than too little.

LG V20?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Years of Apple servitude is starting to get a little boring and I’m thinking about jumping ship. Currently have the iPhone XS Max and a Watch and whilst they are functional, I’m a bit bored.

After a little search of the most recent flagships I feel most of them have compromises, some are deal breakers. Looking forward to the Note 10 announcement later.

Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous about losing iCloud sync for messages and photos and more but I’m sure I can muscle through. Also my last toe dips into Android went badly (A note 2 with horrible UI and a Sony which used to die whilst on charge and not reboot).

But yet, here I am, looking for options and I have a list of needs and nice to haves:

Needs:
- To be new enough to get the next few major updates.
- Wireless charging.
- Google Pay ability.
- The ability to do cloud backups (not sure if this is native these days?)
- Battery life to support medium to heavy usage including using hotspot.
- To be a brand, as much as some of the Chinese makes are doing well, I like to have a support network when things go wrong.
- OLED screen.
- Android Auto (is it standard?)

Nice to haves:
- Smaller screen? I sometimes feel my XS Max is too big, but I think the days of sub 6” phones are gone for now.
- A “wow factor” feature, it’s always nice to have a party trick.
- Notchless, also not too keen how Samsung are doing the offset holepunch either.
- Ability to connect to a decent smartwatch (haven’t decided which one).

Things I care not about:
- Camera, don’t use it for anything serious.
- Where the fingerprint sensor is, it just doesn’t matter.
- Gaming, except PoGo.
- Price, I’ll pay whatever is needed for the right thing.

So where do I go? What do I have to sacrifice?

Seems like a Galaxy Note 9 would be beyond perfect for you
8th August 2019, 03:11 PM |#11693  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emaleth~

My last post went unanswered so I'll ask again, under 200€ is there any better phone than Xiaomi Redmi note 7?

Mate, you did not told us where you are. How am i supposed to know that part of the world, in order to give you a good advice ?? In my country, this phone is 350 €. At 200€ is either fake or not working. Always buy from trusty sites. Dont go crying if you receive an samsumg s2 in a xiaomi redmi 7 box
The Following User Says Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 03:16 PM |#11694  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Mate, you did not told us where you are. How am i supposed to know that part of the world, in order to give you a good advice ?? In my country, this phone is 350 €. At 200€ is either fake or not working. Always buy from trusty sites. Dont go crying if you receive an samsumg s2 in a xiaomi redmi 7 box

Thx, you are right, hehe, sorry. I already went with Motorola One for 170€, not the best, and there is redmi note 7 for the same price but it is a massive upgrade from my old neffos c5 anyway and to be honest, aside power/volume buttons not working half of the time, the biggest issue for me was no updates so i think this will be ok for next 2 years, or 1 in the worst case.
8th August 2019, 07:53 PM |#11695  

More
Looking for a non-Appleified phone
Criteria:
16:9 display (FHD or 4K)
Normal screen edges
No notch
Physical buttons
Headphone jack
microSD slot
Good performance (Snapdragon 8xx, 4GB+ RAM)
8th August 2019, 08:18 PM |#11696  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Guys, thanks for your advice.

I was torn between the S10 512Gb, the new Note 10 or a pixel 3.

The S10 is leading and I get a substantial discount right now through the forces veterans service (nothing on the Note 10, yet)
9th August 2019, 12:32 AM |#11697  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackingpro

Criteria:
Normal screen edges
No notch
Physical buttons
Headphone jack
microSD slot

LG V30 or V30+?
9th August 2019, 08:16 AM |#11698  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfiniteAndroid

LG V30 or V30+?

Not 16:9, rounded edges, no physical buttons
9th August 2019, 09:54 AM |#11699  

More
Quote:

Not 16:9, rounded edges, no physical buttons

My apologies, by edges I assumed you meant curved screen like some of the galaxy devices, have you looked at the Galaxy S7? It's a little older but..
10th August 2019, 03:33 AM |#11700  
Flag Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 2,026

More
Lightbulb
Quote:

Guys, thanks for your advice.

I was torn between the S10 512Gb, the new Note 10 or a pixel 3.

The S10 is leading and I get a substantial discount right now through the forces veterans service (nothing on the Note 10, yet)

S10 is still a sweet device!
10th August 2019, 08:22 AM |#11701  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emaleth~

Thx, you are right, hehe, sorry. I already went with Motorola One for 170€, not the best, and there is redmi note 7 for the same price but it is a massive upgrade from my old neffos c5 anyway and to be honest, aside power/volume buttons not working half of the time, the biggest issue for me was no updates so i think this will be ok for next 2 years, or 1 in the worst case.

No problem mate. Quick tip, always look if the phone you want has active development on xda. I ve got an samsung s6 for example. It already has android 9.0 custom roms. So tehnically it still got a few years before it becomes obsolete

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:

Criteria:
Normal screen edges
No notch
Physical buttons
Headphone jack
microSD slot

For average budget, go with Samsung S7. Ex flagship, samsung still supports it, gonna get Android Q custom roms for sure. Great kernel and battery life
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)