---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------
---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------
Years of Apple servitude is starting to get a little boring and I’m thinking about jumping ship. Currently have the iPhone XS Max and a Watch and whilst they are functional, I’m a bit bored.
After a little search of the most recent flagships I feel most of them have compromises, some are deal breakers. Looking forward to the Note 10 announcement later.
Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous about losing iCloud sync for messages and photos and more but I’m sure I can muscle through. Also my last toe dips into Android went badly (A note 2 with horrible UI and a Sony which used to die whilst on charge and not reboot).
But yet, here I am, looking for options and I have a list of needs and nice to haves:
- To be new enough to get the next few major updates.
- Wireless charging.
- Google Pay ability.
- The ability to do cloud backups (not sure if this is native these days?)
- Battery life to support medium to heavy usage including using hotspot.
- To be a brand, as much as some of the Chinese makes are doing well, I like to have a support network when things go wrong.
- OLED screen.
- Android Auto (is it standard?)
Nice to haves:
- Smaller screen? I sometimes feel my XS Max is too big, but I think the days of sub 6” phones are gone for now.
- A “wow factor” feature, it’s always nice to have a party trick.
- Notchless, also not too keen how Samsung are doing the offset holepunch either.
- Ability to connect to a decent smartwatch (haven’t decided which one).
Things I care not about:
- Camera, don’t use it for anything serious.
- Where the fingerprint sensor is, it just doesn’t matter.
- Gaming, except PoGo.
- Price, I’ll pay whatever is needed for the right thing.
So where do I go? What do I have to sacrifice?