Thanks Meter: 4,608

Post Reply Email Thread
22nd August 2019, 12:16 AM |#13701  
Flag Matosinhos
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Ok, let's try something really basic. Please open a local shell in a terminal app (connectBot is one option).

Gain root permission by typing "su" in the terminal.

At the root prompt, usually a #, type "grep google.com /etc/hosts". You should see output similar to the following:

The number group at the start of the line is the IP address the domain will be redirected to. In my case 127.0.0.1.

Choose one of those entries and ping it in the terminal, "ping adservices.google.com". The output should show the IP address it's redirected to in the hosts file.

If this is working correctly, then either there is a proxy serving ads, usually through the router on WiFi, or a proxy entry in the mobile data APN setting or SIM card.

If ad blocking works in some apps, such as in a browser but not other apps, that usually means the problem app is not using domain names, but rather IP addresses which Adaway can not help with.

I try to ping and have passed more than one hour and didn't finish

22nd August 2019, 12:43 AM |#13702  
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manojl76

I try to ping and have passed more than one hour and didn't finish

You need to pass a control C to end the ping. Otherwise it will go forever

What IP address is being returned? A screenshot would work.
22nd August 2019, 01:11 AM |#13703  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

You need to pass a control C to end the ping. Otherwise it will go forever

What IP address is being returned? A screenshot would work.

Code:
ping -c <number of pings>
Is the better option.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
22nd August 2019, 01:46 AM |#13704  
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Code:
ping -c <number of pings>
Is the better option.

True that
22nd August 2019, 02:54 AM |#13705  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

... which is free.

And owned by Microsoft ...
22nd August 2019, 03:02 AM |#13706  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 30,149

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santimaster2000

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2019, 04:39 AM |#13707  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santimaster2000

You won't find anyone who tries to steer clear of MS more than me. I dropped them when Vista came out. Try to avoid them or their products whenever possible.
That said I'm not as fanatical about it as I am with Facebook. When it comes to Facebook I tell people "it's evil. Kill it. Kill it with fire".

Now if GitHub was owned by Facebook I'd agree with you. If it had been originally developed by MS I might agree as well. But they bought it and by all accounts don't want to mess with it since they know the developers using it would just leave and go over to bitbucket or gitlab.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
22nd August 2019, 10:33 AM |#13708  
Flag Salisbury
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Hey,

After updating my op6t with new OTA i cant get to work adaway, first it starts with not enough space in system/host, then i change location and we have symlink missing after creating symlink and restart problem persist
22nd August 2019, 12:51 PM |#13709  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,164

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123

Hey,

After updating my op6t with new OTA i cant get to work adaway, first it starts with not enough space in system/host, then i change location and we have symlink missing after creating symlink and restart problem persist

If you use Magisk as root solution leave the AdAway settings at default (/system/etc/host; no symlink) and make sure to enable "systemless host" in Magisk Manager (actually a module). After rebooting AdAway should create a new host file.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
22nd August 2019, 01:48 PM |#13710  
Flag Salisbury
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

If you use Magisk as root solution leave the AdAway settings at default (/system/etc/host; no symlink) and make sure to enable "systemless host" in Magisk Manager (actually a module). After rebooting AdAway should create a new host file.

Thank you it solved my problem
23rd August 2019, 04:43 AM |#13711  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,389

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123

Hey,

It sounds like you didn't enable the systemless hosts option in Magisk Manager settings and rebooted, for it to be enabled, just like any other module that you install.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)