FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Discussion] Direct access to e-MMC to fix bricked KF (HD 8.9 version)

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By kurohyou, Member on 23rd December 2013, 03:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th January 2016, 06:58 PM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Hello Chameleon,

I feel your pain. I too would have never imagined that I could make a mistake like that haha. I had a bunch of windows open including an original Kindle root and accidently used it instead of the 8.9 HD version ugh. Also that VCC was definitely the hardest connection. I even left a taped off lead just in case.

As for the Boot.img, I looked around and you are right all of the boot.img files are too big for this type of recovery. I'm certain I got this from the first aid kit and it appears it was different than the files I've seen in the links in the other threads. To help you out why not try the one that I used. It is 4,285kb so should definitely fit. Let me know if it works for you!
Attached Files
File Type: img boot.img - [Click for QR Code] (4.18 MB, 134 views)

14th January 2016, 08:48 PM |#82  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moor Terces

Hello Chameleon,

I feel your pain. I too would have never imagined that I could make a mistake like that haha. I had a bunch of windows open including an original Kindle root and accidently used it instead of the 8.9 HD version ugh. Also that VCC was definitely the hardest connection. I even left a taped off lead just in case.

As for the Boot.img, I looked around and you are right all of the boot.img files are too big for this type of recovery. I'm certain I got this from the first aid kit and it appears it was different than the files I've seen in the links in the other threads. To help you out why not try the one that I used. It is 4,285kb so should definitely fit. Let me know if it works for you!

Brilliant, thank you! I'll give that one a go (so longs as it's definitely for an HD8.9!). I've got some new wire on order, so I'll wait for that to arrive - I want to minimise the number of times I have to resolder the leads!
I'll let you know how it goes!
14th January 2016, 09:18 PM |#83  

More
It's the exact same file I used so should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
28th January 2016, 03:43 PM |#84  
Flag Glasgow

More
Quote:

It's the exact same file I used so should be good.

OK. New wire arrived (eventually!), however I'm still getting the same problem.
kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin copies across fine to partition 2 & recovery.img to partition 9,
however when I try to copy boot.img to partition 10 (even with your smaller 4.4MB file) it still says "no space left on device".
In gparted it shows that sdc10 is 8MB, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Is there any way of deleting what's on the whole partition (without trashing the partition table)? Gparted is showing the file system as 'unknown'.
Is it possible that there's some other file (other than boot.img) that's already on that partition that could be causing the problem?

For info, it doesn't seem possible to mount any of the partitions (even those using ext4 file system): "Failed to mount... the device doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS"

Starting to get well outside my knowledge base!!!

## edit ## OK, having just done a bit of resaerch on dd, is it possible that I need to use something like conv=notrunc in the command? Not knowledgeable enough to try anything without advice!
Or, could it be that there are some damaged sectors that are causing the problem?
28th January 2016, 08:30 PM |#85  
Flag Glasgow

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon846

OK. New wire arrived (eventually!), however I'm still getting the same problem.
kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin copies across fine to partition 2 & recovery.img to partition 9,
however when I try to copy boot.img to partition 10 (even with your smaller 4.4MB file) it still says "no space left on device".
In gparted it shows that sdc10 is 8MB, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Is there any way of deleting what's on the whole partition (without trashing the partition table)? Gparted is showing the file system as 'unknown'.
Is it possible that there's some other file (other than boot.img) that's already on that partition that could be causing the problem?

For info, it doesn't seem possible to mount any of the partitions (even those using ext4 file system): "Failed to mount... the device doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS"

Starting to get well outside my knowledge base!!!

## edit ## OK, having just done a bit of resaerch on dd, is it possible that I need to use something like conv=notrunc in the command? Not knowledgeable enough to try anything without advice!
Or, could it be that there are some damaged sectors that are causing the problem?

As my daughter would say... OMG!

Schoolboy error... I still had gparted running in the background and it was interfering with the dd command. I re-booted the laptop & went straight into the dd command for the boot.img - it copied first time!
A few anxious minutes later & the Kindle was back together... I plugged it in & got the Kindle Fire logo!!!

I then managed to get back into fastboot, copied my backup images, started from scratch & now have CM11 running perfectly.

THANK YOU FOR THE BRILLIANT GUIDES & ADVICE... time for a beer!
29th January 2016, 01:37 AM |#86  

More
Congrats Chameleon!

The Following User Says Thank You to Moor Terces For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Moor Terces Ad-Free
30th January 2016, 07:25 AM |#87  
Flag Walk -n- Dont walk
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Thank You to all involved with this project..... This is really some awesome reading and learning. I have a bricked 1st gen 7 and two bricked HD's I'm about to break out again and give it a go at... Well as soon as I figure out this POS bricked iRulu that belongs to a friend - shhhh, it might just get tossed in the road and some rubber laid on it! =)

Thank You Again! Ya'All ROCK!!
5th February 2016, 07:07 PM |#88  

More
Good luck! The hardest part is that tiny VCC resister haha!

1st May 2019, 01:56 PM |#89  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Kindle 8th Gen Anti Glare
Hi Guys - can you help? My 8th Gen Amazon Kindle (v basic) was robbed and turned up a week later on a buy and sell website. Very distinctive cover and the screenshot had recommended reading which included a book I was reading when it went missing as well as a number of other books that are unusual that I had under my recently viewed reading on Amazon. When the police checked the serial number it didn't match mine but turned out to be stolen. My question is can the serial number on a Kindle be changed as Amazon said it can't and can you give me a rough idea how this can be done? Thanks
24th August 2019, 08:55 PM |#90  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Good luck! The hardest part is that tiny VCC resister haha!

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I can’t seem to follow the instructions on Vcc and VccQ pads on the motherboard. The picture in the original post only labels VccQ. Where is the Vcc pad and where does it connect to on the SD card reader. Thanks in advance if you are still replying to this thread!

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurohyou

No, thank you for your donation and continuing the work!

That's a bit odd. I rechecked everything and it's all correct. What happens if you connect VccQ and leave Vcc disconnected?

Yes, you are correct. Vcc as labelled in the photo above is the small component between the two larger components, the side opposite of the heat shield mount (or as looking at the board as above, the right side). Since it's not working with the current setup, though, hopefully that means we don't even need the Vcc point (fingers crossed).

Also, while waiting for your response, I'm going to take some time to apply voltage to the VccQ point and see if I get a voltage measurement at the Vcc pins on the eMMC mount pins. I might also take a moment to look at the data sheet for the eMMC itself if I can find it, too. I'll post again when I have some info.

Hi, thanks for the great info. I know this is a really old thread, but I'm trying to unbrick my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD, and have all the wires attached except for Vcc to the motherboard (I only attached a wire from VccQ on the board to Vcc on the SD card reader) . Is a wire needed to Vcc on the board or is VccQ on the board sufficient? If Vcc is needed, where is it (I don't see it on the picture in the original post)? When I test the voltage on the VccQ, I'm only getting a reading of 6mV (milliVolts), which seems too little to power up the board.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
emmc, hard-bricked, kindle fire 8.9, repair, soldering

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)