592 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,608

Post Reply Email Thread
3rd September 2019, 09:28 PM |#13731  
Flag Berne
Thanks Meter: 287

More
Dear All
I searched the thread but couldn't find a post that could answer my question. I thinking about "misusing" AdAway (if possible) - as I've got a actual problem and using the firewall is... let's say "user unfriendly".

1. Can I also use AdAway for
- Inbound blocking of selective IP/ports?
Background:
- I'm using (only) SIP telephony and get every day after a couple of hours (and then many times in succession) direct server-based calls. They just seem to want to disturb (and they DO). From my NAT I can see the IP addresses (and ports) from which they come from.
- Can I also block INBOUND traffic specific to IP addresses (and ports/port ranges)? My problem is not the outbound traffic (maybe only the "RINGING" statement that is sent back).
Before you ask: my Firewall (AFWall+) COULD do this, but it's script-based and the interface doesn't work well. By far too complicated. If I only could simply add it to "my lists" within AdAway...

I didn't find any information on that - from what I read.
Would be an easy and conveniant way ... IF (see #2)

2. BUT - even if:
- Adding a negative list entry requires a DNS entry. Is there any way I can add a simple IP address? (Which I always can see from my NAT.) Didn't find a way.
- Does AdAway always require a DNS address? Now really talking about AD away: What if a raw IP address is coded (as often) directly in a source code?

Thanks in advance, friends - with kind Greetz from Switzerland - Chris
PS: please excuse me, if my questions might be silly, newbee in this thread.

3rd September 2019, 10:24 PM |#13732  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph21x

Dear All
I searched the thread but couldn't find a post that could answer my question. I thinking about "misusing" AdAway (if possible) - as I've got a actual problem and using the firewall is... let's say "user unfriendly".

1. Can I also use AdAway for
- Inbound blocking of selective IP/ports?
Background:
- I'm using (only) SIP telephony and get every day after a couple of hours (and then many times in succession) direct server-based calls. They just seem to want to disturb (and they DO). From my NAT I can see the IP addresses (and ports) from which they come from.
- Can I also block INBOUND traffic specific to IP addresses (and ports/port ranges)? My problem is not the outbound traffic (maybe only the "RINGING" statement that is sent back).
Before you ask: my Firewall (AFWall+) COULD do this, but it's script-based and the interface doesn't work well. By far too complicated. If I only could simply add it to "my lists" within AdAway...

I didn't find any information on that - from what I read.
Would be an easy and conveniant way ... IF (see #2)

2. BUT - even if:
- Adding a negative list entry requires a DNS entry. Is there any way I can add a simple IP address? (Which I always can see from my NAT.) Didn't find a way.
- Does AdAway always require a DNS address? Now really talking about AD away: What if a raw IP address is coded (as often) directly in a source code?

Thanks in advance, friends - with kind Greetz from Switzerland - Chris
PS: please excuse me, if my questions might be silly, newbee in this thread.

Can't do it. AdAway
1 - requires DNS entry. No way to add some IP.
2 - no way to block selected ports
3 - if a raw IP address is coded AdAway will have no effect on it. This is one reason some apps don't get their ads blocked.

You have to learn some iptables coding. For what you want it shouldn't be that difficult, you should be able to find examples that you can basically just copy.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 10:28 PM |#13733  
Flag Berne
Thanks Meter: 287

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Can't do it. AdAway
1 - requires DNS entry. No way to add some IP.
2 - no way to block selected ports
3 - if a raw IP address is coded AdAway will have no effect on it. This is one reason some apps don't get their ads blocked.

You have to learn some iptables coding. For what you want it shouldn't be that difficult, you should be able to find examples that you can basically just copy.

I know IPTables coding, wanted to avoid it... 😉
Thx for your clear answer!
3rd September 2019, 11:23 PM |#13734  
Thanks Meter: 1,005

More
Seem to be getting ads in the twitch app since 4.2. 8
4th September 2019, 12:04 AM |#13735  
Flag Bountiful
Thanks Meter: 555

More
For others getting the not enough space error after upgrading to Android 10:

Make sure you re-enable Systemless hosts in Magisk settings and reboot. Then try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190903-170135.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	4814845  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to creeve4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift creeve4 Ad-Free
4th September 2019, 03:38 AM |#13736  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
What are you guys using for your source hosts file location? data/data/hosts? Or /system/etc/hosts? I am trying to install on Pixel 2 XL Android 10 (.020 factory image) and it throws up a logcat.

EDIT: set source hosts file to /system/etc/hosts after hitting systemless in magisk and it works! Thanks for the posts on this guys!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rester555 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rester555 Ad-Free
4th September 2019, 04:01 AM |#13737  
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Delete. Missed that the issue has been identified
5th September 2019, 05:23 AM |#13738  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeve4

For others getting the not enough space error after upgrading to Android 10:

Make sure you re-enable Systemless hosts in Magisk settings and reboot. Then try again.

Da man!!
6th September 2019, 07:39 PM |#13739  
Flag Culpeper, VA
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Yep works on Android 10 now. It wouldnt with Magisk Core Only, turned that off (full w/modules) and worked perfectly now.
9th September 2019, 08:10 PM |#13740  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Can you tell me why the ads are displayed this way? One plus 7 Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190909-210641.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	4817398  
9th September 2019, 10:11 PM |#13741  
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknowx

Can you tell me why the ads are displayed this way? One plus 7 Pro.

That's the iframe displaying an error because the domain is not responding (which is exactly what Adaway helps you do). If you use Firefox, the is a add-on called uBlock Origin which will help with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)